Need a good chicken stew recipe or a new twist on one.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Use a whole cut up chicken. Dust it with flour and brown the pieces in a big deep skillet large enough to hold all the pieces (I usually dont use the backbone or neck but save them to make chicken stock). Remove the pieces and add some flour to make a dark roux with the oil. Add water or stock to make a gravy then return the chicken pieces back to the skillet. Add red potatoes cut into pieces, carrots cut into pieces or baby carrots, sliced onion or pearl onions, bell pepper slices and sliced mushrooms. Season this all up with some salt, pepper, cayenne and thyme bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer till chicken is fork tender along with all the vegetables. Add abut 2 cups of frozen green peas and let simmer another five minutes till the peas are heated through then serve on a bed of steamed rice.

You can add wine to the gravy if you like, I do about half the time. I sometimes add celery, fennel, turnips or parsnips. It's a good stew.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Use a whole cut up chicken. Dust it with flour and brown the pieces in a big deep skillet large enough to hold all the pieces (I usually dont use the backbone or neck but save them to make chicken stock). Remove the pieces and add some flour to make a dark roux with the oil. Add water or stock to make a gravy then return the chicken pieces back to the skillet. Add red potatoes cut into pieces, carrots cut into pieces or baby carrots, sliced onion or pearl onions, bell pepper slices and sliced mushrooms. Season this all up with some salt, pepper, cayenne and thyme bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer till chicken is fork tender along with all the vegetables. Add abut 2 cups of frozen green peas and let simmer another five minutes till the peas are heated through then serve on a bed of steamed rice.

You can add wine to the gravy if you like, I do about half the time. I sometimes add celery, fennel, turnips or parsnips. It's a good stew.
Thanks Bayou, I will have to try that it sounds very good. I need a much larger version. about 10 chickens worth and a large Iron Kettle...LOL It's for a gang....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.