NIL and gambling destroying CFB

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Whomever face palmed my first post in this thread would you please explain where the integrity in college football has ever been? You need only to go back to SMU in the 80s, Pat Dyes final years, Mike Dubose and we can go much farther back if you want to. College football is corrupt. The games are somewhat enjoyable, beyond that it's close to the worse you'll ever get, and it's never been a secret.

Don't hide behind a screen and post emojis...talk.
I facepalmed your post and this one because it is funny to me.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I swear these “I told you so without actually telling you so in writing” new posters we have seen this past year really get offended by the smallest things.
I know....it makes things so much fun for me. :)

AWRTR

Suspended
Oct 18, 2022
Whomever face palmed my first post in this thread would you please explain where the integrity in college football has ever been? You need only to go back to SMU in the 80s, Pat Dyes final years, Mike Dubose and we can go much farther back if you want to. College football is corrupt. The games are somewhat enjoyable, beyond that it's close to the worse you'll ever get, and it's never been a secret.

Don't hide behind a screen and post emojis...talk.
Little word of advice ignore the emojis.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I’m the one that facepalmed the guy because , his negativity toward football in the past is ridiculous. To say football never had integrity is demeaning to the 99% of all the coaches and athletes that did things the right way. Loyalty and integrity are pillars of team sports. But a guy like that believes what they believe, and their self righteous, I know things posts are not worth time to engage. Especially when the intent is to stir the pot. If I could double face palm I would

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
"What we have now is not college football- not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete!' That doesn't exist.
I want to see the players have a great quality of life and be able to create value for themselves. But we've gone to nobody talking about education, nobody talking about creating value for their future to talking only about how much money they can make while they're in college.
I wonder what fans are going to say when they don't even know their team from year to year because there's no development of teams- they're just bringing in new players every year." -Nick Saban

64 Grad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 29, 2023
I find myself agreeing with almost all the comments. I do agree with Alogan 1983 in that there has always been a certain amount of corruption in college sports. I do wonder what the new paradigm of college sports will bring. Previously you were talking about cars and clothes. Now we are talking about millions of dollars. The rich will probably get richer. Will Alabama be in that group? Probably in football because we have weathered all the changes in the past.

• Facepalm
Reactions: bamaga

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
And then…
“College athletes are now free to directly negotiate their compensation and sign NIL contracts before enrolling at a school and will be able to do so until at least the end of the court case. The injunction alone is a bad omen for the NCAA's chances, and is a direct blowback from its investigation into the Tennessee football program for alleged breaches of NIL rules.”

If we thought NIL was nuts before this, hold onto your hats folks.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This is all garbage to me. The tennessee and Virginia schools are member institutions. They are the NCAA and as members agree to the rules and discipline of the association. If you don’t like the rules , change them. Don’t cry and file lawsuits. Schools act as if the NCAA is some third party organization no one likes so feel they don’t need to abide by the rules. In fact, state governments and the courts are the third party in this case. Local or state governments should never have control in national sports, I strongly disagree in this ruling . I’ve never before seen the argument, ‘I dont agree so I wont abide ‘ work , unless its concerning basic human rights .

Last edited:
  • Emphasis!
Reactions: teamplayer

AWRTR

Suspended
Oct 18, 2022
I saw a clip from Mike Greenberg the other day. He was yelling about how no one can complain because of NIL. He said the coaches bail all the time. He is right about that. So let's have the players sign NIL contracts with these collectives. They can be for one to four years. You can put performance bonuses in and the like. You can also just like the coaches fire the players if they don't perform. They may still be enrolled in the school, but if they are terrible then they don't get anymore money. If they want to transfer they have buyout or payback clauses in the contracts. They want to be grown and treated like employees then make them employees. I'm good with then making whatever they can, but like any employee you have to hold up your end of the bargain when you sign an employment contract.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I saw a clip from Mike Greenberg the other day. He was yelling about how no one can complain because of NIL. He said the coaches bail all the time. He is right about that. So let's have the players sign NIL contracts with these collectives. They can be for one to four years. You can put performance bonuses in and the like. You can also just like the coaches fire the players if they don't perform. They may still be enrolled in the school, but if they are terrible then they don't get anymore money. If they want to transfer they have buyout or payback clauses in the contracts. They want to be grown and treated like employees then make them employees. I'm good with then making whatever they can, but like any employee you have to hold up your end of the bargain when you sign an employment contract.
Coaches have to pay a buyout, players don’t. Maybe they should include a buyout clause in NIL contracts if the player hits the portal. Would make other schools pause to evaluate if they really need the kid. BTW , That’s the biggest bullcrap to me. The coaches can do yada yada, so why can’t the players. Huge difference in the two.

AWRTR

Suspended
Oct 18, 2022
Coaches have to pay a buyout, players don’t. Maybe they should include a buyout clause in NIL contracts if the player hits the portal. Would make other schools pause to evaluate if they really need the kid. BTW , That’s the biggest bullcrap to me. The coaches can do yada yada, so why can’t the players. Huge difference in the two.
I agree with the buyout. They want to be like the coaches make them like the coaches.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The only way to solve colleges from having their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to the NIL is to start implementing contracts with recourse for the school, no different than pro contracts. But no way colleges being completely at the mercy of 18-22-year-old kids is a good or sustainable thing. It is utter stupidity to even think that's how it needs to be.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
This is all garbage to me. The tennessee and Virginia schools are member institutions. They are the NCAA and as members agree to the rules and discipline of the association. If you don’t like the rules , change them. Don’t cry and file lawsuits. Schools act as if the NCAA is some third party organization no one likes so feel they don’t need to abide by the rules. In fact, state governments and the courts are the third party in this case. Local or state governments should never have control in national sports, I strongly disagree in this ruling . I’ve never before seen the argument, ‘I dont agree so I wont abide ‘ work , unless its concerning basic human rights .
I can't speak for Virginia, but we are talking Tennessee here. Since when have they ever cared about following rules. Yeah, I still hate Tennessee.

Reactions: Tidelines

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I really did like the olden days when there were "student athletes" enrolled in school.

Reactions: bamaga

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads