No ESPN or SEC Network on Spectrum (9/11 update: Settled)

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Disney has to get more money per subscriber because the number of subscribers is decreasing significantly. The more they ask for, the more providers will say no, which means they have to ask for even more from the next guy. It's a never-ending cycle. The bubble is going to burst, and it will affect more than just TV.

ESPN has all these contracts with leagues and conferences that they have to pay for somehow. Without these contracts, pro leagues can't afford the ridiculous high salaries they pay to the coaches and athletes. If you thought it was expensive to go to games now, just wait until the TV revenue dries up and these teams are suddenly not able to afford their payroll.
I hope the revenues decline, advertising dollars shrink, payrolls shrink, owners make less money, etc. all so we can all return to some kind of reasonable cost for sports. There's really no truly good reason ANY athlete should make tens to hundreds of millions of dollars, as it all trickles down to driving the cost of any advertised good/service from their sports up and up. I know, I know. I'll take my punishment for critcising out of control Capitalism off-line now...

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Streaming is taking over. Video rental and game rental stores went obsolete. Redbox popped up.. even they saw the writing on the wall and started a streaming service. Digital downloads and game pass options on gaming consoles have also become the more popular option for gaming. Internet and streaming is becoming the norm. Smart TVs with apps built in, etc. These streaming services are taking over cable and satellite..

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I hope the revenues decline, advertising dollars shrink, payrolls shrink, owners make less money, etc. all so we can all return to some kind of reasonable cost for sports. There's really no truly good reason ANY athlete should make tens to hundreds of millions of dollars, as it all trickles down to driving the cost of any advertised good/service from their sports up and up. I know, I know. I'll take my punishment for critcising out of control Capitalism off-line now...
Yeah, multiple reasons Disney is declining that I won't mention here. But, here's a good example of a rip off. $9.99 a month for ESPN+ and then to watch the UFC fights an extra $90.00.
I know WWE is fake, but I pay 10 a month for Peacock and get EVERY PPV at no extra cost.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
About everybody has high speed internet these days ! T Mobile and Verizon wireless 5G or LTE internet are more than adequate for streaming and relatively affordable. I tried the satellite service Hughes Net and paid the early out fees !
Verizon's Fios is not available in Northwest Alabama. If I needed internet, it would likely have to be AT&T. I think just internet is $50 a month.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Verizon's Fios is not available in Northwest Alabama. If I needed internet, it would likely have to be AT&T. I think just internet is $50 a month.
Check with T mobile. My son has it and gets 100+ speeds and he needs it with 5 kids (all teenagers) a wife that's a on call medical professional. They also stream everything that's not OTA. Movie buffs
PS: Verizon and T mobile that we us are cellular based and not wired. I have a ryobi inverter that I use to power the modem should we have an electricty outage. This gives me internet streaming services on the phones and ipads in eastern Mayberry, Al. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg and Bazza

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Might be on ESPN+, but the broadcast is on ESPN.

View attachment 36652
I just signed up for ESPN+ and I can't watch ESPN live or the SEC network so if I can't watch the Bama game tomorrow on ESPN+ tomorrow my subscription will be cancelled Saturday night. I did a 7 day trial on Fubo to make sure I can see the game tomorrow so I might switch to Fubo or Hulu from Spectrum. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::mad:.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I just signed up for ESPN+ and I can't watch ESPN live or the SEC network so if I can't watch the Bama game tomorrow on ESPN+ tomorrow my subscription will be cancelled Saturday night. I did a 7 day trial on Fubo to make sure I can see the game tomorrow so I might switch to Fubo or Hulu from Spectrum. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::mad:.
You won't be able to watch the game on ESPN+.
If you try to watch anything on ESPN+ that is being shown on any of their cable channels you will be asked to log in with your cable provider. And when you try to do that with your spectrum account you will be denied.

Last edited:
Reactions: rolltide7854

T Bone

1st Team
I called spectrum yesterday to complain about my bill (we have landline, internet and tv with them). lady basically told me she sympathizes with my concerns, but whatever. they are pretty much the only game in town here in the southern adirondacks...............and they know it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I called spectrum yesterday to complain about my bill (we have landline, internet and tv with them). lady basically told me she sympathizes with my concerns, but whatever. they are pretty much the only game in town here in the southern adirondacks...............and they know it.
I have the same issue here with comcast. I bloody hate comcast with the fire of a thousand suns, but they are my only option.

Reactions: T Bone

JDCrimson

Suspended
Feb 12, 2006
It doesn't matter whether it's the cable companies or the networks when it comes to live sports programming the sports programs own the content. In this case the SEC holds the leverage. Cable companies and networks are just different layers of distribution.

Programming and internet connectivity are the 2 must haves.

Every streaming package has certain channels. Think Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. These are low cost providers of content.

If am CNN, knowing my ratings are in the tank, I go negotiate directly with the SEC to be their exclusive distribution partner. In the next round of contract bidding. CNN dumps its Saturday news programming that no one is watching any way and shows SEC games. People will watch and they may tune in during the week to some of your news programming. They might be able to offer a higher margin to the SEC because they most definitely have less overhead distribution costs than ESPN. Same deal that Notre Dame had with NBC.

I can flip to CNN just as easily as I can to ESPN...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Does anyone know anything about DirecTV's dispute with Fox? I'm not getting Fox and Sunday I'd like to be able to see the Panthers play the Falcons.

22Musso22

1st Team
Sep 2, 2023
I currently am caretaking for my Mother and she refuses to cut the Spectrum cable.

If I had a choice in the matter, I would easily bury Spectrum and get YouTube TV, but it isn't my house.

The timing of this and the excuses by Spectrum are pathetic.

Spectrum is trying to say they are holding out for their customers when all they are doing is holding their customers hostage.

Even though I have ways to watch the game tomorrow, it is a hassle and every moment I despise Spectrum that much more.

They will end up giving in to Disney, still make millions and go up on their prices, while pretending to be on the customers side.

If I actually wrote what I really think of Spectrum I would probably be banned immediately.

I so hope Spectrum loses thousands and thousands of customers with this charade.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I currently am caretaking for my Mother and she refuses to cut the Spectrum cable.

If I had a choice in the matter, I would easily bury Spectrum and get YouTube TV, but it isn't my house.

The timing of this and the excuses by Spectrum are pathetic.

Spectrum is trying to say they are holding out for their customers when all they are doing is holding their customers hostage.

Even though I have ways to watch the game tomorrow, it is a hassle and every moment I despise Spectrum that much more.

They will end up giving in to Disney, still make millions and go up on their prices, while pretending to be on the customers side.

If I actually wrote what I really think of Spectrum I would probably be banned immediately.

I so hope Spectrum loses thousands and thousands of customers with this charade.

Thoughts?

I won't give up cable because I watch Bally almost everyday, whether it's the Braves or the Predators.

I cut the cord seven-ish years ago when YTTV was like $30/month. Bally hadn't yet taken over the regional Fox networks. Then suddenly everything started to change, and cord cutting was only saving me a little, instead of a lot. Right now, if I drop Spectrum and go YTTV for $80, Bally for $20, internet for $80, I'm saving about $25 over Spectrum. Meh.

So, I'll wait them out, watch ESPN on YTTV when necessary. BAMA will be on CBS soon enough. Titans are on CBS on Sunday. I'll have my Braves on Bally. Hockey season fires up in a minute. And when Disney and Spectrum make good, all will be well again.

Then YTTV will fight with someone; DirectTV will fight with someone; Xfinity will fight with someone; FUBO will eventually fight with someone. We, the consumer, always lose.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It did. No more SEC on CBS.
I thought so too.

Not to digress, but we may end up looking back on the "SEC on CBS" and thinking those were the good ole days.

I personally always like Verne, despite his propensity to get names wrong, but he was actually a good, passionate play caller and I think Nessler is too.

I know Gary was always the target of most of the fans, but I actually liked him. He could talk too much but when he stayed on the topic he knew the game and was pretty good at even anticipating what was coming.

JMO.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I thought I saw Big Ten games already being broadcast on CBS at 2:30, like UNLV vs Michigan today so I figured the contract was up. So we’ve got to hear aunt Gary for another season?:(
Yeah there are still 13 SEC games on CBS this year. They normally don’t start until week 3, which is why they showed the Ohio State game last week.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads