OC and DC replacement discussion

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don’t disagree that Rees might be really good. Was just addressing the point that Kiffin or Sark weren’t considered great hires as OC. 🙂
They weren't considered homerun hires by everyone even from the football standpoint. Yes, a lot of people were excited, but it wasn't overwhelming support, initially.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Not really.

The argument isn't that Notre Dame has players as good as Alabama. It's that they have had pretty good talent, which they have. They've had more offensive players drafted in the past 5 years than Clemson! They've had the same number as Oklahoma!

Notre Dame NFL draft picks in the last 5 years by round:

1st - 2
2nd - 4
3rd - 3
4th - 2
5th - 1
6th - 2
7th - 2

Notre Dame has had a lot more talent than people seem to think. They're not Alabama, but they sure aren't chopped liver either.
Thanks for the round info, how about the positions? Were they defensive or offensive players, were they OL or QBs and WRs?

Reactions: The Ols

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A week ago, I barley knew Tommy Rees existed so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
But are you (or me) the measuring stick of who is respected and considered good within the college football coaching circles? Just because you and I haven't thought much about Tommy Rees doesn't mean much. Wouldn't you agree?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
But are you (or me) the measuring stick of who is respected and considered good within the college football coaching circles? Just because you and I haven't thought much about Tommy Rees doesn't mean much. Wouldn't you agree?
I am absolutely the measuring stick. I masterminded multiple NC seasons including 3-peats in EA Sports NCAA Football on Heisman difficulty since I was 11yr old. Can Nick say that? I think not…

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Eh, I don’t think there was any question that they were very good OCs. The reservations revolved around their off-field conduct.

Immature trolling and extramarital issues from Kiffin, and alcoholism from Sarkisian. Although admittedly I do remember some NFL fans here saying Sark wasn’t cutting it in ATL. But both were well known college OC quantities. Certainly more well known than Tommy Rees.
It was their HC shortcomings that many were complaining about (as well as extra/curricular stuff). Those didn’t put the emphasis on their OC skills which were proven but because some of their numbers were shared, some didn’t think either deserved credit because of their HC failures and off-field foibles.
Some on here saw the possibilities- no one can ever really know- and said as much. Their inclinations proved to be correct.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I remember, but then what did Sark prove to be a master at? Scheming players WIDE open!

That's harder to do in the NFL with the parity on rosters. It's what I never understood about BOB's unwillingness to even try, or so it seemed!

Now, looks like Rees is much more like a college OC Sark or Kiffin who exploits defensive holes with certain types of plays!

I certainly hope this means bigger gains/plays on 1st down and fewer 3rd and longs!!! I also suspect we'll become more of a quick-strike offense the way we were with Sark.

If the running game becomes more deadly with strong downhill running the back end will open up with big plays over the top. Something we just couldn't generate last year!
It's also much easier to do when you have generational talent at WR, QB and RB, as well as a very good OL - all late in their careers. The UTx job came at a very good time for his rep. Not saying he is not good but he had possibly the most fabulous offensive talent in college football history coupled with a very good OL. He should have put up fabulous numbers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Eh, I don’t think there was any question that they were very good OCs.
How quickly people forget. Both Kiffin and Sark were disliked as OC hires by a pretty large chunk of our fanbase. In fact, there were many complaining about Kiffin the entire time he was here.

Only when we look back on yon halcyon days do we forget how 'meh' many people felt about both Kiffin and Sark. I feel like I posted a thousand times about how we need to give them time, see what they can do. etc. And it wasn't just off the field stuff - I was digging up tons of stats showing what Kiffin and Sark had each done while at USC, for example, but people argued they were a bad choice.

So no, neither one of them were considered 'home run hires' by anything remotely resembling a majority of the Bama fans here.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
How quickly people forget. Both Kiffin and Sark were disliked as OC hires by a pretty large chunk of our fanbase. In fact, there were many complaining about Kiffin the entire time he was here.

Only when we look back on yon halcyon days do we forget how 'meh' many people felt about both Kiffin and Sark. I feel like I posted a thousand times about how we need to give them time, see what they can do. etc. And it wasn't just off the field stuff - I was digging up tons of stats showing what Kiffin andSark had each done while at USC, for example, but people argued they were a bad choice.

So no, neither one of them were considered 'home run hire' by anything remotely resembling a majority of the Bama fans here.
I remember the Kiffin hate being strong as well. I was all for his hire to be honest. I was less sold on Sark, but boy did he prove me wrong. I'm going to wait and see what Rees does. I'm optimistic and will remain so until proven wrong.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Well, David Pollock has issued a statement about the hire..................he is a fan, but stated UGA was the king of CFB now................

And most everyone doesn't really care what he says

Bama197

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Seeing that Saban and Steele butted heads apparently I don't see this happening. He wasn't too horrible at LSU and the Barn but I think he's a snake in the grass.

Reactions: bamamc1

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads