OC and DC replacement discussion

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
So just what is going on with the two GOATS. Saban has let an underperforming DC hang around for years and doesn't override his OC when he goes braindead for stretches during games with the play calling. Oh look the run game is gashing them, let's throw the ball three straight times and then punt.

And then you have Bill Belichick hire two defensive minded coaches to be co-offensive coordinators. Why are these football geniuses(and past performance proves this to be true) making what arm chair coaches believe to be stupid moves on the coordinator choices?
Mac melted down last night on the slide line and it was obvious he was beyond enraged by the play calling.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
For some reason Saban seems to love Golding and I have no idea why. I have a very bad feeling he will be the DC still next year. Man do I hope I am wrong.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
IMO, I have said it before and I will say it again the turnover at assistant coaching positions especially oc and dc was getting ridiculous and for more stability Coach Saban publicly said that he wanted and was asking/demanding more of a commitment from coaching hires. Knowing Coach Saban, one could easily hypothesize that in doing this it goes both ways for him so to speak. He has shown he is loyal, and while he has never fired a coach, that I am aware of so if I am wrong please correct, yes he has helped some out the door, but even then he helped facilitate them getting another job, on most occasions, davis may be the exception but that was of his own doing.

Who really knows the entire story and or reasoning but for a perfectionist he certainly has allowed some sub par coaching performance for quite some time, according to the standard he has set over time.

Again, you get the point, and IMO he is loyal and does not have a reputation as a coach who throws his assistants under the bus and fires them, but also IMO enough is enough.

Whether you agree he can right the ship or not is moot to me because one thing you cannot realistically argue adequately against is that he has earned the opportunity to try.

Personally, my money is on Coach Saban until he retires. RTR

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
So think about this practically for a minute. About the only time where being in phase works or is important is the long downfield throws where the DB is trailing the WR who is looking back for the ball. This is like how many throws per game? You wont see the WR's eyes on most other routes. Likewise, the longer the throw the longer the recovery time available to a DB looking back for the ball.

Guarding a WR shouldn't be too different from playing defense in basketball. You do it with your position and peripheral vision.

It used to be 3 things happened when you threw a pass and 2 of them are bad. 1) Its incomplete, 2) its intercepted, or 3) its caught. Now when you throw a pass 2 things are good 1) its caught, 2) its DPI, or 3) its incomplete.

These odds necessitate changing the probability of bad things happening on a pass.

In fairness to what CNS teaches (as I understand it) if you are "in phase" he teaches you find the ball when the receiver's eyes look for the ball. On the other hand, if you are out of phase you play their eyes and you try to time breaking up the reception.

So, technically they are supposed to look for the ball but it's only when they are in phase. Since we don't see them looking for the ball much, that seems to suggests they know they are not in position.

So I guess the beef we have with CNS's technique is it seems he teaches something the kids are struggling to do on a regular basis.

Reactions: TrueCrimson7

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Bama in 2018 was not nearly as pass happy as you seem to remember. The team attempted 29 passes a game that year, the same amount per game as the 2015 team. Bama ran it 38 times a game in 2018 and 42 in 2015. The 2018 passing attack was as efficient as college football has ever seen.

Now, Bama certainly has become too pass happy under BoB. Bama has averaged 34 and 38 passing attempts per game over the last past two years.
Thanks. I didn’t realize the similarity in the numbers, but wasn’t the 2015 team a run first team, using the run to set up the pass? I would guess that the yards per carry were higher in 2015. In 2018, they passed first and were able to run on occasion because of the passing threat. But the run blocking was terrible. They couldn’t line up and pick up three yards rushing when they needed them to save their souls. The mindset was different, and that was my point.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Morgan Scalley is my nominee for DC. Tonight, his Utah D looked so much like ours from the mid 2010s, I was almost crying for all the nostalgia.
By the same token, any chance Gol*ing was sent on free loan as defensive intern for the Trojans? - those tackling angles and general ineptitude looked a lot like ‘Bama of a more recent vintage.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Thanks. I didn’t realize the similarity in the numbers, but wasn’t the 2015 team a run first team, using the run to set up the pass? I would guess that the yards per carry were higher in 2015. In 2018, they passed first and were able to run on occasion because of the passing threat. But the run blocking was terrible. They couldn’t line up and pick up three yards rushing when they needed them to save their souls. The mindset was different, and that was my point.
Bama averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2015 and 5.2 in 2018.

Tua had a ton of highlights in 2018 but he really didn’t throw as much as we all probably remember. He had 43 TDs with only 355 attempts that year. Bryce had 47 TDs last year but in 547 attempts. In other words, Tua would have had 66 TDs if he threw the ball as much as Bryce did.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
Bama averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2015 and 5.2 in 2018.

Tua had a ton of highlights in 2018 but he really didn’t throw as much as we all probably remember. He had 43 TDs with only 355 attempts that year. Bryce had 47 TDs last year but in 547 attempts. In other words, Tua would have had 66 TDs if he threw the ball as much as Bryce did.
Thought provoking and insightful points. Much of Tua’s success can be attributed to the WRs he had though. Bryce doing what he has done with the WRs he has had, and the play calling, makes it equally as impressive as Tua’s body of work, IMHO.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
IMO, I have said it before and I will say it again the turnover at assistant coaching positions especially oc and dc was getting ridiculous and for more stability Coach Saban publicly said that he wanted and was asking/demanding more of a commitment from coaching hires. Knowing Coach Saban, one could easily hypothesize that in doing this it goes both ways for him so to speak. He has shown he is loyal, and while he has never fired a coach, that I am aware of so if I am wrong please correct, yes he has helped some out the door, but even then he helped facilitate them getting another job, on most occasions, davis may be the exception but that was of his own doing.

Who really knows the entire story and or reasoning but for a perfectionist he certainly has allowed some sub par coaching performance for quite some time, according to the standard he has set over time.

Again, you get the point, and IMO he is loyal and does not have a reputation as a coach who throws his assistants under the bus and fires them, but also IMO enough is enough.

Whether you agree he can right the ship or not is moot to me because one thing you cannot realistically argue adequately against is that he has earned the opportunity to try.

Personally, my money is on Coach Saban until he retires. RTR
I agree, but then the burden is on Coach Saban to coach his coaches. G*lding is underperforming and becoming the Bucket Step Bob of the Saban Era.

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
Seriously, I don't know where he would be used if hired by Bama, but Bill Clark is not coaching at the moment and is one of the very few with football knowledge in the class with The GOAT. An advisor at the least.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Jason Simpson is a pretty good QB coach. Might make a good OC. He has done a good job at UT Martin. He would be loyal for at least 3 years.lol Also Whammy Ward is the DC at UT Chattanooga. Didn’t he do a good job at South Carolina? Just tossing some names around.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If we back into the playoffs do wind up keeping both because of timing?
No, but it could cost Saban a top tier replacement as the best guys are already being interviewed for jobs next year.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I’m not a coach and don’t know the intricacies of X’s and O’s. So many posters that are very knowledgeable (some coaches, some officials, some former players) notice the lack of production by the coordinators. Why doesn’t Coach Saban see it?

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If we back into the playoffs do wind up keeping both because of timing?
I cannot see BOB being here in 2023, no matter what happens. He's Daboll without the skill. And I doubt Saban would retain him after this season even if he wanted to stay.

Therefore I suspect Saban is already working at finding replacements and I doubt there's any hold up wrt bringing someone on.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I cannot see BOB being here in 2023, no matter what happens. He's Daboll without the skill. And I doubt Saban would retain him after this season even if he wanted to stay.

Therefore I suspect Saban is already working at finding replacements and I doubt there's any hold up wrt bringing someone on.
Agree on BoB. But if he us still waffling on Golding then it could present a problem

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Sorry if already posted somewhere else

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017

Both coordinators are bad, but at least we’ve seen that we can be successful with one good coordinator.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.