Offseason Thread: When Saban Retires -- Who?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm sorry but I just don't get the fascination with Bill O'Brien as someone that would get serious consideration. Many of us were ready to burn him in effigy during the last regular season. Even putting all of that aside, I would think we could easily find a better candidate than him. Familiarity with the program and being part of the Saban coaching tree look good on the resume, but we should go after the BEST COACH AVAILABLE when that time comes. You will never convince me that person is Bill O'Brien.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm sorry but I just don't get the fascination with Bill O'Brien as someone that would get serious consideration. Many of us were ready to burn him in effigy during the last regular season. Even putting all of that aside, I would think we could easily find a better candidate than him. Familiarity with the program and being part of the Saban coaching tree look good on the resume, but we should go after the BEST COACH AVAILABLE when that time comes. You will never convince me that person is Bill O'Brien.
Best available is subjective is the problem. I want you to really look at the names and tell me which ones have major HC experience and which ones have NC experience. You’ll come up with probably Kiffin and Dabo. If you ever want to divide the fanbase tell them that either is the coach.

If we are really going off best available then Urban Meyer is it. How many here really want Urban here?

So really after those names we are really looking at guys without major HC experience, and guys who aren’t moving the needle in excitement. The reality is the next hire isn’t going to excite the fanbase and most likely is going to be a guy that Saban has a hand in pointing out. It’s not fascination with BoB it’s just a realistic way that things could go if Saban retiring is happening within two years. You can find far worse and far riskier names on this list. I’m not advocating for him but it’s more Possible than what many think.

• Crying
Reactions: DogPatch

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Best available is subjective is the problem. I want you to really look at the names and tell me which ones have major HC experience and which ones have NC experience. You’ll come up with probably Kiffin and Dabo. If you ever want to divide the fanbase tell them that either is the coach.

If we are really going off best available then Urban Meyer is it. How many here really want Urban here?

So really after those names we are really looking at guys without major HC experience, and guys who aren’t moving the needle in excitement. The reality is the next hire isn’t going to excite the fanbase and most likely is going to be a guy that Saban has a hand in pointing out. It’s not fascination with BoB it’s just a realistic way that things could go if Saban retiring is happening within two years. You can find far worse and far riskier names on this list. I’m not advocating for him but it’s more Possible than what many think.
BoB also did decent with a penn state program that was in absolute shambles. I would not have wanted to of been in that position at the time

Reactions: dtgreg and The Ols

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Coach Prime!

But seriously, follow the recruiting rankings. The names mentioned like Kiffin, Sark, O'Brien, Napier, etc. are logical choices. A lot of smart, connected people have all those pretty high on the list. Maybe even Jimbo is not out of the realm of possibility. He's shown he can become disenchanted with his current job. But whoever it is will have a track record of great offense and at least decent defense, plus have excellent recruiting ability relative to whatever level they have coached in. Sark is looking good in the recruiting category. Kiffin not so much. He can fill up a class, but not necessarily with 2 or 3 blue chip studs sprinkled in. Napier is an excellent recruiter. O'B? Not enough data. Either way, Saban has a good 5-7 years in him and a couple of championships minimum. He's the John Wooden of CFB and just about as good now as he ever was. In some ways, better. Seems like the only way to beat him is to be lucky enough for his team have a rash of injuries to key players.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't think it is that bleak.

I also disagree that Urban Meyer can be considered the best available any longer. He is far more volatile than Lane Kiffin, and far less trustworthy as well. There are off the field characteristics that override the talent with him. In fact, I think he is done in big time coaching.

I also believe we probably should not "demand" the next guy have an NC under his belt as a HC. We do need to make sure he is a great recruiter, and all measures need to be taken to make sure he's a proven leader and can manage the details. Yeah, that sounds like a Nick Saban clone and I know they don't make those. All I'm saying is a guy like Napier just might be the best out there when the time comes, even if he has not won a NC.

But with Bill O'Brien, to me, he's not even a good OC despite what the overall numbers showed last season. He did ok at Penn State during a really difficult time, but he did not build anything there. Then he goes to the NFL and tears down a franchise. The only reason I'm ok with him as an OC is Alabama has the best talent in the country which overcomes a lot of his foolishness, and he's under the control of Nick Saban.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed. A big fat NOPE to Billy Boy

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think it is that bleak.

I also disagree that Urban Meyer can be considered the best available any longer. He is far more volatile than Lane Kiffin, and far less trustworthy as well. There are off the field characteristics that override the talent with him. In fact, I think he is done in big time coaching.

I also believe we probably should not "demand" the next guy have an NC under his belt as a HC. We do need to make sure he is a great recruiter, and all measures need to be taken to make sure he's a proven leader and can manage the details. Yeah, that sounds like a Nick Saban clone and I know they don't make those. All I'm saying is a guy like Napier just might be the best out there when the time comes, even if he has not won a NC.

But with Bill O'Brien, to me, he's not even a good OC despite what the overall numbers showed last season. He did ok at Penn State during a really difficult time, but he did not build anything there. Then he goes to the NFL and tears down a franchise. The only reason I'm ok with him as an OC is Alabama has the best talent in the country which overcomes a lot of his foolishness, and he's under the control of Nick Saban.
Yeah, the list gets real short if a NC on his resume as a HC is a must.

And since three of the recent ones who have won NC are Kirby, Jimbo and Dabo then the field gets even smaller.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
When the time comes, how likely is it that one of the young hot shot NFL coaches has worn out his welcome/looking for a new challenge and would be open to coming to UA? Sean McVay, Zac Taylor, Brandon Staley, Mike McDaniel., etc.

I initially restricted my list to current college coaches, but some of these guys could be looking for a change in a few years.

Reactions: Con

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I'm not saying he won't be a possibility, I'm saying I will never be convinced that he is the BEST coach AVAILABLE and that is right for the job. Just one man's opinion.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I like the Napier idea but if he's successful at Florida, he'd be a fool to leave unless they **** him off. I think, like when Coach Bryant retired, Saban will try to get an Offensive-minded guy for his replacement. Perkins reinvented Offense in Pro and eventually, College Football. He was WAY ahead of everyone else. The way the rules are now, we'll need an innovator to be successful. As great as Saban is, he, like every Defensive guy, is now totally reliant on his OC.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t think the desire to hire one of “Nick’s boys” will be as strong to get one of “Bear’s boys”. At least I hope not.

We play at West Virginia in 2026. I bet he is here at least long enough to coach that game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I really dislike these annual threads. I mean, I know Coach will retire someday but i don't like being reminded of it and I am sure he doesn't either. When it happens none of us will have anticipated it not to mention the fact that Alabama will begin its slow decline. Nothing and no one can stop that unfortunately. So I prefer to enjoy the good times and face the dreaded day later, hopefully way later in the future.
It’s like we are saving to buy burial insurance instead of still being happy about being able to chew a great steak.

There’s time to focus on his retirement. Like right after he announces it. This just feels a bit masochistic. The pleasure of worry :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.