Game Thread: Oklahoma vs Houston Game Thread: Jalen QB watch

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Thus far, Oklahoma's "improved" defense has given up 399 total yards for an average of 6.1 yards per play against a thoroughly overmatched opponent.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Unless OU gets a lot better on D, I really hope they don't make the playoffs. Jalen or no Jalen. I can't watch a whole season of this.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m pretty sure one of the teams in our Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl shootout had over 700 yards of offense.

Of course Memaw was playing strong safety on the opposing team.....

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If you guys turned it off, you missed a hilarious post-game interview of Jalen by Holly Rowe.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you guys turned it off, you missed a hilarious post-game interview of Jalen by Holly Rowe.
Loved it - he's been around how it's done right and he'll never be happy at OU.

But not at all surprised that he sees the deficiencies. He may or may not be an NFL QB, but he'll almost certainly be a great coach...

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
So Jalen wouldn't be an impressive QB in another league? He said he was born to run this offense. Apparently he feels like your O held him back at times. Heisman talk is just that. Talk. He'll be in the mix, but IMO, the kid at Clemson has it wrapped up.

soonerforever

Suspended
Dec 10, 2013
Jalen was speaking directly to the mistakes he made.....fumble and bad handoff.....do Sooner fans dwell on those----no....first game of the season and the team will clean up some of the mistakes made tonight....very happy with Jalens play

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So Jalen wouldn't be an impressive QB in another league? He said he was born to run this offense. Apparently he feels like your O held him back at times. Heisman talk is just that. Talk. He'll be in the mix, but IMO, the kid at Clemson has it wrapped up.
Our O did hold him back at times, but that was not by design as it appears some may have deduced.

It is a fact that the Big 12 does not play defense, and nor does Houston, although Houston is likely incapable whereas the majority of the Big 12 simply does not care about that side of the ball. So yes, Jalen is going to excel because certain barriers will not be there.

soonerforever

Suspended
Dec 10, 2013
Our O did hold him back at times, but that was not by design as it appears some my have deduced.

It is a fact that the Big 12 does not play defense, and nor does Houston, although Houston is likely incapable whereas the majority of the Big 12 simply does not care about that side of the ball. So yes, Jalen is going to excel because certain barriers will not be there.
Did Bama's D not play SEC D against us last year.....your D was gassed, against us...if we had any type of D----we might have taken you

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Did Bama's D not play SEC D against us last year.....your D was gassed, against us...if we had any type of D----we might have taken you
No, in fact, that was the worst defense of Nick Saban's tenure since his first season here.

Your last sentence makes my point. Oklahoma did not have even a passing semblance of a defense last year, and it appears they aren't much better this year either. And the rest of the Big 12 is right there with them. If he stays healthy, Jalen is going to pass for 4500 yards and add another 1500 on the ground. He would never have been able to do that in the SEC. Cam Newton and Tim Tebow didn't even do that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I dunno why. The offense we ran with Tua last year was the Alabama offense he was being asked to run in 2016 but especially in 2017. It was RPOs and quick behind-LOS passes just like OU runs. Heck, one of Hurts' biggest completions tonight was a slant catch and run off the RPO. Alabama pretty much used that package play religiously in 2018.

It seems like the problem Hurts had was more about the running the ball and I can't blame Saban for trying to keep him from getting injured against better SEC defenses.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My point was, and you didnt answer. Jalen would just be a better than average QB in a different league?
That didn't appear to be the point you were making. Jalen would not put up the numbers he is going to put up at Oklahoma in pretty much any other league. The defenses are too good in the SEC. Do you all really think Alabama held him back or that Nick Saban held him back in any way? Good Lord he waited until the last possible moment to take him out of the game against Georgia two years ago.

I can't see him going to any other league, in the Power 5 at least, and doing what he is going to do at Oklahoma. The defenses are too tough in the SEC. The overall talent level in the ACC is concentrated in Clemson, SC. The Big Ten actually plays defense as well. Maybe in the Pac 12. He is on the most talented offense in a league that simply doesn't play defense. OU was supposed to be improved and they were getting gashed by a glorified FCS team out there tonight.

I'll say this. The style of offense Riley employs suits Jalen better than one that is geared more towards the QB standing the pocket and going through progressions. That's what we want to do here. That's what Jalen said he wanted to do when he came here. He looked improved tonight. But I still saw a lot of his tendencies that got him benched come out tonight. He didn't pay for it a single time though, and I doubt he'll face a team all year that will make him pay for it. Maybe Texas.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jalen definitely had the best week of any of the big name QBs.

Fromm: workman-like game where they mostly just handed it off and didn't show anything with ND game in a few weeks

Tua: Nearly flawless but only had 300+ yards and 4 TDs

Hunter Lawrence: 50% completion with less than 200 yards and 2 INT

Justin Hebert: Solid game but had a few errors that cost them big time.

Jalen definitely had the best week but frankly I think it was mostly as big as it was because he played more series against a bad defense than he would most games of this type in Tuscaloosa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.