OL play versus UGA DL/Front 7

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And as much grief as I've given O'Brien and Marrone this season (still deserved, imo), props are necessary after last night's performance. From Chris Low on ESPN:

One longtime defensive coordinator told ESPN that the way Alabama put Young in a position to find the holes in Georgia's defense was something nobody else had been able to do to the Dawgs this season.

"Doug Marrone [Alabama offensive line coach] and Bill O'Brien [offensive coordinator] showed their value tonight, the value of having NFL experience," the defensive coordinator said. "They knew where the blitz was coming from, re-identified protection and blocked the pressures.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I'd like to know if that can be confirmed.
I would as well, it was in the first half game thread by a poster I’m not terribly familiar with. It’s a solid explanation, even if it wasn’t Pendry, that an analyst helped in some of the areas that we were deficient in. The other, maybe more plausible explanation, is that McLaughlin is just better at diagnosing and using the correct protection calls. Even that doesn’t explain the massive uptick in effectiveness we saw last night.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
And as much grief as I've given O'Brien and Marrone this season (still deserved, imo), props are necessary after last night's performance. From Chris Low on ESPN:

One longtime defensive coordinator told ESPN that the way Alabama put Young in a position to find the holes in Georgia's defense was something nobody else had been able to do to the Dawgs this season.

"Doug Marrone [Alabama offensive line coach] and Bill O'Brien [offensive coordinator] showed their value tonight, the value of having NFL experience," the defensive coordinator said. "They knew where the blitz was coming from, re-identified protection and blocked the pressures.
Well I’ve complained about our predictable pressure packages before, did we really just expose how weak it really is? Kirby defense = Saban defense.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Young line. Young Qb. Makes a difference when you can hear. Our biggest issues came on the road.

A&M and LSU were creative. Kirby wasn’t. But they had not practiced it so they couldn’t suddenly change.

UGA being so good all year long worked in our favor. Kirby thought that they could best us straight up.

He was wrong.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
This was the story of the game.

We knew Bryce was a great QB. We knew we had playmakers at WR who could get open against anyone.

What we didn't know (and many of us doubted) was if we could block these guys long enough to make the plays down the field.

Gotta tip my cap to the offensive line and offensive coaching staff. They made some changes, but they also just played great -- they were ready for the stunts, ready for the blitzes and won their individual matchups. Bravo!

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
Young line. Young Qb. Makes a difference when you can hear. Our biggest issues came on the road.

A&M and LSU were creative. Kirby wasn’t. But they had not practiced it so they couldn’t suddenly change.

UGA being so good all year long worked in our favor. Kirby thought that they could best us straight up.

He was wrong.
True, I did not notice GA running the same blitz packages (they may have just did not notice it) that aTm and LSU ran. Auburn copied them also to give our line fits. With no disrespect to the OL performance yesterday, I am inclined to believe Kirby thought he had us straight up.

Reactions: FaninLA

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Even if Pendry came in last week, there’s not a lot you can fix in one week. While he may have seen something, I don’t know how you get from first half agbarn to the performance last night. While I do believe if the Pendry story is true, he could have pointed out some things, I believe McLaughlin may be the trigger here. Look at second half agbarn, McLaughlin was in the middle. Entire UGA game, McLaughlin was in the middle.
Anybody know his numbers regarding ranking and such coming out of HS? This man may have won a starting spot.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Even if Pendry came in last week, there’s not a lot you can fix in one week. While he may have seen something, I don’t know how you get from first half agbarn to the performance last night. While I do believe if the Pendry story is true, he could have pointed out some things, I believe McLaughlin may be the trigger here. Look at second half agbarn, McLaughlin was in the middle. Entire UGA game, McLaughlin was in the middle.
Anybody know his numbers regarding ranking and such coming out of HS? This man may have won a starting spot.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I didn’t see the speed I thought Georgia’s DLine had. That front 7 is big and strong, but is not particularly quick imo. When TV showed the behind the lines view of Georgia using stunts, our guys seem to shift effortlessly to block them. Georgia’s secondary, is still a Georgia secondary. An elite QB and speedy receivers is their kryptonite.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I didn’t see the speed I thought Georgia’s DLine had. That front 7 is big and strong, but is not particularly quick imo. When TV showed the behind the lines view of Georgia using stunts, our guys seem to shift effortlessly to block them. Georgia’s secondary, is still a Georgia secondary. An elite QB and speedy receivers is their kryptonite.
I think with Michigan they get a slower version of themselves.

If Kirby doesn’t let Harbaugh out coach him, they should win. But I’m feeling like Harbaugh will.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
True, I did not notice GA running the same blitz packages (they may have just did not notice it) that aTm and LSU ran. Auburn copied them also to give our line fits. With no disrespect to the OL performance yesterday, I am inclined to believe Kirby thought he had us straight up.
I tend to agree with this. In fact, They seemed to start blitzing more in the second half and that was when Bryce started having more trouble. If we meet Georgia again in the NC, do you think Kirby brings the house on most plays and if so, how will we counter it?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Communication, and a little philosophy change. They didn’t switch off like in past games. Linemen blocked the guy in front of them for the most part. I still think Mcglaughlin may be a difference maker. He is only 290, but held his own most of the night against Davis. Cohen played like a man possessed. I guess he didn’t like possibly losing his job to a Brown.
Nick said in the radio show they were trying different combinations, and different things. Got 3 weeks to figur out the rest.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I tend to agree with this. In fact, They seemed to start blitzing more in the second half and that was when Bryce started having more trouble. If we meet Georgia again in the NC, do you think Kirby brings the house on most plays and if so, how will we counter it?
I think they will blitz more. They have to. Remember, Metchie was out the second half, he ran seemingly free in the first half Giving BY throwing options.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.