Game Thread: Postgame Miss State sequel edition - Bama with comeback win by 3

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Using that Arkansas strategy of just draping a smaller guy in Miller's shirt all game long -- is going to be more and more common. We have to have other guys make them pay. Because if they are sacrificing someone to just shadow Miller, that's on less guy to rebound, one less to use with traps, etc.

We have to start scheming for that.
They guarded the 3 tightly and the rim. JQ pulled up for 12-15 footers a few times. Bradley shot a few 8-10 floaters. If teams play us that way we will probably have to start shooting a few more midrangers to make them honest again.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Using that Arkansas strategy of just draping a smaller guy in Miller's shirt all game long -- is going to be more and more common. We have to have other guys make them pay. Because if they are sacrificing someone to just shadow Miller, that's on less guy to rebound, one less to use with traps, etc.

We have to start scheming for that.
Conventional strategy would have Miller posting up the smaller defender. That doesn’t seem to be part of our playbook or offensive philosophy.

Reactions: dtgreg

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Glad to see a game like this where the team had to scrap for most of the game to catch up, and then when they did had to continue scrapping to stay ahead. Probably alot more beneficial to the team then the type game they had with LSU a few weeks ago.

ROCKEE

1st Team
Nov 1, 2010
Trussville
Honestly the midrange game is not a staple of CNOs offense.
Wish it were. We really would be hard to defend. Oates does seem to adjust well to what the other teams do. Maybe he’ll start encouraging that shot.
We played much better defense and offense the second half do to his adjustments.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Wish it were. We really would be hard to defend. Oates does seem to adjust well to what the other teams do. Maybe he’ll start encouraging that shot.

We played much better defense and offense the second half do to his adjustments.
CNO is all about analytics, it all about taking the easy 2s and hitting 3s. The more efficient way to outscore an opponent. It's like why focus on taking a midrange or long 2 when you can step 2 feet back and hit a shot that will get you three points instead of two.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just wish we had someone with a mid range game. When shots aren't falling, man we look average. Take two steps in and work your way back out. Still, it was good to get a win when nothing was going our way.
I'd already copied these posts but it's already been adequately answered as to why we don't shoot midrange jump shots.

I'll add this and it was something I "knew" long before analytics. But a 10-15 footer is a hard shot because it's more of a finesse shot. Depending on one's shooting motion/technique it's an easier shot for some than others, but most shooters would tell you it's harder at that range.

I was a jump shooter and my comfort range was 19-24 feet. My stroke was just more comfortable in that range.

I think CNO's modern analytics confirms that most jump shooters feel more comfortable around the 3 point line than they do at the free throw line.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Had a busy week and just finally had a chance to watch the replay of this one from the DVR.

REALLY gritty win after a tough start for sure.

A lot of unsung guys stepped up with contributions and notably Pringle and Dom which was nice.

JQ looks to also be pretty close to being fully back at 100% because he played GREAT.

Lastly our FT shooting was OUTSTANDING!!!

This is exactly the type of game we would have lost under previous HC's because of mediocre FT shooting.

18-2 (8-0 SEC) and I believe the ONLY team in the NCAA that hasn't lost on the Road or at Home this season.

Roll Tide!!!

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
I'd already copied these posts but it's already been adequately answered as to why we don't shoot midrange jump shots.

I'll add this and it was something I "knew" long before analytics. But a 10-15 footer is a hard shot because it's more of a finesse shot. Depending on one's shooting motion/technique it's an easier shot for some than others, but most shooters would tell you it's harder at that range.

I was a jump shooter and my comfort range was 19-24 feet. My stroke was just more comfortable in that range.

I think CNO's modern analytics confirms that most jump shooters feel more comfortable around the 3 point line than they do at the free throw line.
I get you. I guess you are right with the comfort level and not just analytics. Mid range was my game, but with today's defense range really doesn't matter. You can breathe on them anymore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.