Power 5 vote to allow paying players

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
ESPN's headline is misleading. They voted to allow revenue sharing. Paying the players directly is a separate thing with separate implications. This is good. This provides a pathway forward that doesn't involve making them employees. Now the NcAA needs to go belly up, so Nick can step in as college football czar and improve upon this foundation

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It opens the door for bigger problems. Unless congress passes legislation to protect college sports, it will end badly. The fact that we need congress to act tells you how bad the situation is now.
Congress can't get anything done right besides sending ungodly amounts of $$$ to fight proxy wars, and banning TikTok. I have more faith in the universities athletic directors and conference leaders fixing the issues before Congress does anything beneficial here.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
If you were established college players, I am fine with giving money too, but incoming freshman, who have not proven a thing, should not be paid. IOW, earn you keep. I never understood that part, paying incoming freshman.

Last edited:
  • Emphasis!
Reactions: Con

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's an important thing to note about the 20 million dollar figure I've seen.

Title IX should still be applicable. So basically, this means only 10 million per year for men's sports. Even if you just go off of scholarship baseball, football, and basketball players and no other athletes that's 90K a year.

Basically, it's competitive with things like semi-pro leagues but won't move the NIL needle .

Edit: I guess they can do some creative accounting to do things like spend the women's money on facilities, but point being it still won't be enough to rival the boosters spending 7 figures on single players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama Czar

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
ESPN's headline is misleading. They voted to allow revenue sharing. Paying the players directly is a separate thing with separate implications. This is good. This provides a pathway forward that doesn't involve making them employees. Now the NcAA needs to go belly up, so Nick can step in as college football czar and improve upon this foundation
Yeah, plus there's no such thing as the Power 5 anymore.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
If you were established college players, I am fine with giving money too, but incoming freshman, who have not proven a thing, should not be paid. IOW, earn you keep. I never understood that part, paying incoming freshman.
The pros pay rookies and many go bust every year to include the best college players. It’s really no different than paying freshmen.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
They were scared of this going to trial so they settled. We shall see if it brings some type of stability.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Well, I wasn't insinuating there's a Power 4 either...

It's really just 2.
Oh I know.....but we're gonna hear Power 5 all year this year at least. Pac 2 lives on, running on fumes.

ACC should be next once their big boys disperse amongst the SEC and Big 10.

Big 12........meh, you're right, the ACC and Big 12 are basically group of 7?

Reactions: Con

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads