BREAKING Sec additions–Texas, Oklahoma inquire about joining SEC per report

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Okie and TX joining the SEC puts the future of a playoff format in doubt. The SEC will decide what they want and everyone else will accept it wether they like it or not. No state government will have any say even if they don't like it. They will accept it whether they like it or not. There is no entity that can prevent this from happening wether they like it or not. It's too big and too much money. The SEC is the King of college football and it doesn't matter wether someone likes it or not.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Okie and TX joining the SEC puts the future of a playoff format in doubt. The SEC will decide what they want and everyone else will accept it wether they like it or not. No state government will have any say even if they don't like it. They will accept it whether they like it or not. There is no entity that can prevent this from happening wether they like it or not. It's too big and too much money. The SEC is the King of college football and it doesn't matter wether someone likes it or not.
Playoffs will HAVE to expand now....Literally most of the talent will be in one league. Can you imagine UGA, LSWho,OU,Texas and A&M all sitting home while a 9-3 Washington team is in the playoffs...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
what I think will happen is that we are getting 4 super conferences, and a 6-8 team playoff. I also think we are getting 2 game playoff for a conference championship.

I think the real loser is all those who were championing the 12 team system because more teams in a conference ultimately means more games.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
So, don't we have home and homes scheduled against Texas starting next year and one with Oklahoma in like 10 years? Guess those games get thrown out the window?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
what I think will happen is that we are getting 4 super conferences, and a 6-8 team playoff. I also think we are getting 2 game playoff for a conference championship.

I think the real loser is all those who were championing the 12 team system because more teams in a conference ultimately means more games.
CNS gets what CNS wants lol

Reactions: 81usaf92

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020

Very possible. If the playoff is expanded the SEC will get, at the bare minimum, 2 teams. Possibly 3 with a potential 4th team playing their way in. The biggest loser is the G5 schools. They might be entertained but they have minimal juice. They don't deserve a seat at the table. Memphis, Cincinnati, etc? Not happening. These are small fries. You have to think schools like Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, USC, etc are feeling left out. ND even. They don't have a seat at the decision desk at the moment. We'll see how it sorts out but the SEC just became king of the world.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Playoffs will HAVE to expand now....Literally most of the talent will be in one league. Can you imagine UGA, LSWho,OU,Texas and A&M all sitting home while a 9-3 Washington team is in the playoffs...
-4 super conferences (ND must join to get in)
-4 pods per conference
- 11 game regular season (8 conference, and 3 OOC)
- 3 OOC games must be from the other 3 Super conferences
-8 conference games (3 pod games, 2 from pod A, 2 from pod B) play both of those teams 2 years in a row H-A, and then rotate
- a 2 game conference championship out of the 4 pod winners
-6-8 team playoff with the At large teams decided by a BCS like algorithm.
-Bowl games are more limited in number

SEC pods

(Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt)
(Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky)
(Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri, Arkansas )
(LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
-4 super conferences (ND must join to get in)
-4 pods per conference
- 11 game regular season (8 conference, and 3 OOC)
- 3 OOC games must be from the other 3 Super conferences
-8 conference games (3 pod games, 2 from pod A, 2 from pod B) play both of those teams 2 years in a row H-A, and then rotate
- a 2 game conference championship out of the 4 pod winners
-6-8 team playoff with the At large teams decided by a BCS like algorithm.
-Bowl games are more limited in number

SEC pods

(Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt)
(Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky)
(Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri, Arkansas )
(LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma)
Where in the world are the other 48 "super teams" that can fill out 3 more 16 team conferences that have any kind of possibility to compete against the SEC. You'd struggle to create one other 16 super conference with the teams that are left.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Where in the world are the other 48 "super teams" that can fill out 3 more 16 team conferences that have any kind of possibility to compete against the SEC. You'd struggle to create one other 16 super conference with the teams that are left.
B1G

Kansas
Iowa St

ACC

Notre Dame
West Virginia

PAC 12

Texas Tech
Nevada
Who cares 1
Who cares 2

It’s really on the PAC 12 to find their 4. But it’s going to be an expand or die if the SEC goes 16 and college football is going to be all of the sudden in a new world. This unlike NIL is actually an earth shattering event.

Reactions: FaninLA and Con

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That’s probably going to happen. But legal nonsense is still going to be legal nonsense. I still say 2024 at earliest to let the others get on board with it and have a smoother transition to a new world.
My guess is that it will be 2022. The Big12 is toast. It's almost impossible to carry on the relationships related to the current Big12 under this cloud. 2021 is going to be hard enough, 2022 and forward will be just about impossible. Massive monetary penalties are likely the only thing that could keep OU and UTx in the Big12 past 2021, IMO. Maybe legislative hurdles, but they appear to be much less imposing this time around. My guess is that the UTx and OU will pay almost anything to get out quickly - the SEC may even assist, though I hope not.

IMO, this move is going to be great for the SEC as a whole as she will become the undisputed boss hog, but it could hurt Alabama, especially in recruiting. It will hurt several other SEC members too, though that may be offset (at least in their minds) by the damage that could be done to Bama. I'm already sick of the crowing by UTx fans, even some OU fans. They aren't in the least humbled by having to make supplication to the SEC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My guess is that it will be 2022. The Big12 is toast. It's almost impossible to carry on the relationships related to the current Big12 under this cloud. 2021 is going to be hard enough, 2022 and forward will be just about impossible. Massive monetary penalties are likely the only thing that could keep OU and UTx in the Big12 past 2021, IMO. Maybe legislative hurdles, but they appear to be much less imposing this time around. My guess is that the UTx and OU will pay almost anything to get out quickly - the SEC may even assist, though I hope not.
Again we are talking about irrational partners involved. Sinclair does not care about fans as much as the power they hold. If Texas tries to bolt before the contract then I guarantee you that Sinclair is taking them to court and is going to cause considerable pain with holding the rights to the Oklahoma- Texas game.

Sinclair has held the MLB, NBA, and NHL hostage with no ongoing talks. They won’t hesitate to hold Texas and Oklahoma hostage just for the hell of it. The SEC is probably going to have to come to an agreement to show Texas and Oklahoma games on Fox for the immediate future if Sinclair wants to be the jerks they tend to be. It why I still think it’s 2 -3years down the line.

Reactions: dtgreg

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
B1G

Kansas
Iowa St

ACC

Notre Dame
West Virginia

PAC 12

Texas Tech
Nevada
Who cares 1
Who cares 2

It’s really on the PAC 12 to find their 4. But it’s going to be an expand or die if the SEC goes 16 and college football is going to be all of the sudden in a new world. This unlike NIL is actually an earth shattering event.
Probably would be better to torpedo the rest of the conferences and take the 16 best teams from those left and just form the "not SEC" league. Have 32 teams that fight it out. I'm kinda kidding but not really. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.