Seriously, WHY do we always play like that in JHS?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Their players were dancing and prancing on the sidelines, their rabid fans were in a frenzy and the stadium looked like a rock concert. Basically, it was their Super Bowl, National Championship, and season all wrapped up in one venue. As we have said over and over again, auburn exists to beat Alabama.
When this is what your football meeting facility looks like nothing else needs to be said:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I saw a couple of punches thrown by our guys and am dreading any kind of announcement from the sec
Said the same to my wife after the game. Not naming guys, but one who would be missed threw a few, and that concerns me most.

Joefus

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2021
Said the same to my wife after the game. Not naming guys, but one who would be missed threw a few, and that concerns me most.
I’m hoping if it wasn’t enough to get ejected or called out on social media then maybe we can all just pretend it never happened

Reactions: B1GTide

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
1997 blame should be on Bruce Arians or whoever called that God awful screen play with the game won, not Ed.
Maybe so, but Bruce Arians was a heck of a coach and was a good HEAD coach in the NFL.Had some great years in AZ, and won a SB in TB with Brady’s first year. When Bowles took over, TB decline drastically.

Was it the best playcall? Obviously not. But like anything else, if executed properly, it ends the ballgame.

December05

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 5, 2022
I really think it would take a protest outside the SEC office to get the Autrey crew out of football. Something must be done. They are so bad you have to seriously consider they are compromised...
We could try a change.org petition, but it would take multiple fanbases taking part to avoid it coming off as just sour grapes. I know Arkansas was livid with him after his crew screwed them over (in Auburn) and Michigan was looking him up in the wake of their playoff game last year. It would take some research to look up the schedule of games they’ve called and what their performance was in those games.

I’ll never not be convinced they were on the take in Knoxville last year. Last night, who knows but what they “missed” our face mask on the kickoff return in order to call however they pleased against us the rest of the night, because they made about 27 make-up call/mistakes to balance it out.

Best case argument for Autrey is that he and his crew get anxious/scared when they realize they’re completely ruining a game and call for the home team the rest of the way to avoid as much scrutiny as possible. Or, there could be something more to it. Either way, I would even let that dude within three miles of my son’s junior high game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1997 blame should be on Bruce Arians or whoever called that God awful screen play with the game won, not Ed.
IDK. I think Dubose not knowing what the call was is more alarming than a good coordinator trying to win a game. Had Ed caught it and ran it for a first down then no one remembers the play and just remembers 97 as the first time we beat them down there.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It doesn't seem to matter how good Alabama is, how bad Auburn is, if the game is in Jordan-Hare, they seemingly play out of their minds while we struggle with the most basic stuff like snapping the ball, special teams, penalties, and of cours the flukey nonsense that Auburn has go their way.

On paper, if you look over the last 15 years, 2011 is literally the only game in Jordan-Hare Stadium where a good Alabama team beat a bad Auburn team the way they should have. Decisively.

2009 - squeaker ended by the championship drive.

2013 - Kick six.

2015 - Championship Alabama team letting Auburn hang around late in the game.

2017 - Championship Alabama team totally collapsing and getting run over by Jarett Stidham???

2019 - Shootout game, but dumb penalties and a pick six off Najee Harris's butt.

2021 - Championship runner up taken to 4 OT's by Harsin's awful team.

Then tonight, thank God for the result, but why, why, why do we always play so tight in that stadium?? I don't understand it. This literally happens nowhere else.

Is this just a case of Auburn practicing their entire season solely for Bama while we treat it like another game? Are these guys just in our heads? What is the issue and why can't Saban ever get over this hump and just dominate Auburn?
Historically we just do not play well down there.

89- They whip our ass and end our shot at a national championship

93- Weird set of circumstances surrounding the game but Auburn completes an undefeated season

95- one I really can’t remember that well

97- the Scissum play

99- We finally win one down there but it was a hell of a fight

01- when the Cadillac broke down we trounced them. We win pretty good

03- I honestly don’t remember the game that much outside a kick return for a TD that gave us some false hope. I remember this one mostly because there was a segment of the game that we had a male cheerleader being interviewed that transferred from Auburn and he made some stupid statement at how his heart was still at Auburn and it was probably the thing most Alabama fans were talking about the next morning.

05- Brodie game

07- a game we could’ve won if we had more guys who wanted to win it.

09- heart attack game

11- Probably the one legit time in which we totally owned them down there

13- kick six

15- a game that we should have destroyed them but didn’t

17- When everyone pretty much saw that we had a serious issue at quarterback

19- We should have won but it was a never ending score fest in the 2nd half.

21- Still doesn’t make sense at how that game went that route

23- Still recovering

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
A lot of people downplay this, but Auburn was basically willing to sacrifice a game just to have a better shot at beating Alabama.

Auburn coaches understand that their job security is tied up in this game, the rest of the season really doesn't mean that much.
It's not limited to Auburn coaches who think this way. My question is, why wouldn't other coaches think this way? I'm guessing that every coach who has beaten us in the last ten years has gotten a raise and a contract extension.
Yeah you get contract extensions and maybe that's all some of these guys care about. But in terms of running a program, that model is not sustainable. How many coaches are in the unemployment line for trying to do things the Freeze way???? Bret Bielma sacrificed his qb in 2016 with the game being out of reach to make the score look closer. He still lost by double digits. Tanked his season. And was fired a year later.

Auburn fans are being incredibly short sighted about Hugh Freeze. They are in the "We played Bammer close, hurray for moral victories" honeymoon phase. But lets face facts. They had one or two wins over teams with winning records this year. (0 wins over teams with 7 or more wins). If I was an auburn fan i would be livid for Auburn playing the way they did Saturday because it was typical Hugh freeze this season. Lose headscratchers you probably should have won and put all your resources into the Alabama game.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
For all of his negatives (and slimy reputation), Hugh Freeze just knows how to scheme against Bama. Remember, Ole Miss beat good Saban's teams two years in a row, and came really close to winning the 3rd year. Even after the awful loss at home to NMSU, I wasn't surprised at the way Auburn would play....in Jordan Hare, and against Bama.

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Well, for the Older crowd, there was also some weird games played before it moved to
Bryant Denny/JHS. The first game I can actually remember watching was Punt Bama Punt (17-16 the bad guys). We should have destroyed them that year. They always seem to play better against us.

Reactions: Padreruf and Joefus

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah you get contract extensions and maybe that's all some of these guys care about. But in terms of running a program, that model is not sustainable. How many coaches are in the unemployment line for trying to do things the Freeze way???? Bret Bielma sacrificed his qb in 2016 with the game being out of reach to make the score look closer. He still lost by double digits. Tanked his season. And was fired a year later.

Auburn fans are being incredibly short sighted about Hugh Freeze. They are in the "We played Bammer close, hurray for moral victories" honeymoon phase. But lets face facts. They had one or two wins over teams with winning records this year. (0 wins over teams with 7 or more wins). If I was an auburn fan i would be livid for Auburn playing the way they did Saturday because it was typical Hugh freeze this season. Lose headscratchers you probably should have won and put all your resources into the Alabama game.
Coaches being in the unemployment line is a laughable thought these days. Even if a coach gets "fired" these days, they walk away with 10, 20, or even 75 million dollars. These guys know that one win over Bama and Saban can take care of their children and their grandchildren forever. I'm sure they would also like to build sustainable programs, but that type of money is hard to ignore. I don't think the coaches or the players do it for the name on the front of the jersey any more. It's now like the pros. It's all about the names on the backs of the jerseys, which has me caring less and less about the games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Coaches being in the unemployment line is a laughable thought these days. Even if a coach gets "fired" these days, they walk away with 10, 20, or even 75 million dollars. These guys know that one win over Bama and Saban can take care of their children and their grandchildren forever. I'm sure they would also like to build sustainable programs, but that type of money is hard to ignore. I don't think the coaches or the players do it for the name on the front of the jersey any more. It's now like the pros. It's all about the names on the backs of the jerseys, which has me caring less and less about the games.
I come from a coaching family. Coaches at every level of football, HS, college and the NFL. You are only thinking of the head coach. But let me tell you - every time you see a head coach get fired, there is a huge number of assistants displaced. These guys generally make a tiny fraction of the salary of the head coach, and now they are looking for a job. When they find a job, they now have to move their entire family to a new city - at their own expense. They often go months or years between jobs until they become established in their own right.

This is a side of the coaching world that most don't understand. Most coaches coach for love of the game. Most never make a good living. Most struggle financially their entire lives. And most who make it big, struggle for decades before doing so.

Don't feel bad for the major head coaches. They are wealthy. But remember the other folks who are displaced when they lose their jobs. And these job losses all come during the holidays.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I come from a coaching family. Coaches at every level of football, HS, college and the NFL. You are only thinking of the head coach. But let me tell you - every time you see a head coach get fired, there is a huge number of assistants displaced. These guys generally make a tiny fraction of the salary of the head coach, and now they are looking for a job. When they find a job, they now have to move their entire family to a new city - at their own expense. They often go months or years between jobs until they become established in their own right.

This is a side of the coaching world that most don't understand. Most coaches coach for love of the game. Most never make a good living. Most struggle financially their entire lives. And most who make it big, struggle for decades before doing so.

Don't feel bad for the major head coaches. They are wealthy. But remember the other folks who are displaced when they lose their jobs. And these job losses all come during the holidays.
Yes, I have coached quite a few middle school and varsity teams myself. I once had 86 kids on my track team and received a $3600 supplement to my salary. I'm not talking about people like me. I don't get a huge pay raise and contract extension for winning a county, section, or state championship. However, the point I made about college athletics is still very valid.

Reactions: Padreruf

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Auburn’s crowd impact is mostly because of the culture at Auburn and how the stadium is built. Alabama is a whine and cheese country club society crowd where as Auburn is a redneck 10 kegger at belcher’s hollow after Rusty raided the firework stand.
Well, yeah. Another way of saying that, although not as colorfully, is that on balance Auburn fans are more " passionate ". You can call it cult-like if you like, but one has to ask oneself IMO, if the team records were reversed, and the game was in BDS, would the atmosphere be the same as it was last week in JH? JMHO, but I don`t think so.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, I have coached quite a few middle school and varsity teams myself. I once had 86 kids on my track team and received a $3600 supplement to my salary. I'm not talking about people like me. I don't get a huge pay raise and contract extension for winning a county, section, or state championship. However, the point I made about college athletics is still very valid.
Did not say that it wasn't valid. Just offering a reminder that these are real human beings, with real families.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Did not say that it wasn't valid. Just offering a reminder that these are real human beings, with real families.
To me its kind of insane to think about. Going all in to beat one team at the long term cost of your program that affects so many people who work under you and who make far less money than you with their families depending on them.

(I am pretty sure that was a run on sentence, but I couldn't think of any better way to phrase things).

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That goes along with one of my original points that guys are going to focus on things that will take care of their families. I've played on teams and coached teams, and they all meant a lot to me. However, as a coach, if I would have known that beating one particular team would have meant lifetime financial security for multiple generations of my family, I'm pretty sure that I would put more focus on that game than others. It's human nature.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads