The NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite 8 Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
FIFY and exactly - there's a reason teams shoot poorly against teams that get away with blatant fouls and rough play while they get called for fouls for doing the exact same things being done against them.

I'll not be surprised if we find out at some point that certain refs are caught up in something illegal.
I was listening to XM 84 Sports Radio after the TX/UM game and the 2 commentators on there made the comment that this has been the worst officiated games for March Madness. They stated that the officiating needed to be cleaned up.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What universe are we living in when Miami is in the final four and Duke and NC are not?

And FAU?

And SDSU???

Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist not to hope the closest thing to a blueblood will prevail over this insanity. Go Uconn and the Fighting Bill Murrays!

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
What universe are we living in when Miami is in the final four and Duke and NC are not?

And FAU?

And SDSU???

Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist not to hope the closest thing to a blueblood will prevail over this insanity. Go Uconn and the Fighting Bill Murrays!
I’ll pull for Miami v UConn in the hopes that the championship game will be the least attractive in history.

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Kim Malarkey at end of third quarter in their elite 8 game today, when asked about the game. “If I was watching this game I would turn the channel. Look at that score that some bad offensive basketball, there might be something to these basketballs being too bouncy but this some bad ball.” Teams shot 1-27 combined from 3 Miami 0-15. I guess not just the guys that can’t shoot the balls.

I have a feeling a lot of people will be saying that if they actually decide to watch the FAUand SD State game.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
How though? Some people high up are going to have to start throwing some weight around. Get fined. Keep throwing weight around and get fined again. I’m talking about coaches and maybe even athletics directors.

I don’t see that ever happening though.
I think the best way to get change is if it hurts them in the pocket. You get too many fans that don’t watch two bad terrible teams that can’t score and changes will happen. People don’t mind a Cinderella team and watch thing them but they have to face a big blue blood to have people to cheer them to see if they can knock off the big boys. No one cares if FAU is in Final 4 if they are playing SD State.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
I know a lot is talked about how the officiating has to change which I agree but college basketball has to change as well with coaching philosophy. The games are much more physical because every single team pretty much plays man to man defense. I can’t think of a game all season where I saw a team play zone more then a few possessions(except Syracuse of course they were still old school but bet that changes. The second thing that has changed is pretty much every play seems to start with a big coming to the top of three point circle setting a pick and the guard driving to the hoop or pick and roll. You rarely see teams that start a possession without a pick being set at the top of the key. It is either pick guard drive down hill or slip screen and and big going up for layup and contact,

Reactions: seebell

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
1679888104111.png

i have less interest in this than if same 4 teams were in a football final 4.

Do we hate everybody equally but miami moreso because they are miami or what.

Man I was so expectiong to see us there.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
UConn is playing at another level. I had them and us in the finals in my first bracket. Just don't see the other teams competing with them, but what do I know....basketball is apparently rugby now so who knows.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Goes to show you if we would've hit 10 three's we're playing tomorrow
Just needed 6-27, 22%, to win, in reality probably 5, 18.5%, would have done it.

IMO, some fans' criticism of Oats' approach are misguided, illustrated by the statement above. If you just need to hit 18 or 22%, how can you blame the strategy? IMO, Brandon's injury was the most significant problem Alabama could not overcome. It's a pity.

OTOH, IMO, Bama nor anyone else is beating UConn. Bama scored some garbage points late to cut a 30 pt deficit to 16. They've been one of the best looking teams I've seen in several years during the Tournament. It would have been daunting with a fully healthy team, essentially impossible with an injured, however slightly, Miller that has surely affected his shooting, IMO. Since his injury in the last SEC T game, a 46%/40% shooter (he was very consistent too) has gone 8-41, 19.5%/3-19 15.8%, IIRC. His shooting was off in all 3 games. The 19 pt game was misleading. He could do other things well enough, but not shooting.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.