This has to be Saban's best coaching job

Viper652

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 20, 2021
This team has some warts and their only loss was to a top 10 team. I figured they would lose 3 games

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I felt the same way until the Auburn game. Yes, the team is night and day different. Let's see how they show up on Saturday.

I am not saying that the success of this team should be measured by the outcome of that game. I am saying that Georgia will tell us how far they have really come.

For now, I put 2015 higher.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree it could be. Still short of data. If they seem unprepared against UGA and then come out listless in a meaningless bowl game, I would rate 2015 a better job. 2020 was very difficult to manage. But already 2023 should be on the ballot. And he has seemed to be enjoying himself more than the last couple of seasons.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I felt the same way until the Auburn game. Yes, the team is night and day different. Let's see how they show up on Saturday.

I am not saying that the success of this team should be measured by the outcome of that game. I am saying that Georgia will tell us how far they have really come.

I agree, because my opinion and no one else's, don't anyone get me wrong Saban is the best but they ( coaches) put their self in a bad position by not going with Milroes strengths and playing QB roulette early in the season

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Well, Bama measures success by SECCs and NCs, so I agree the jury is still out.

There's no question this team has improved more than any team I can remember in my Bama loving mind.

But, if Georgia wins Saturday we will remember this team as a very flawed Bama team who couldn't succeed because of self-inflicted mistakes.

It'll also be remembered, no matter what happens, as one of the least talented teams of CNS's tenure in terms of super stars at key positions. Save JM's efforts of course and depending on what happens Saturday and possibly beyond he could be the goat or the hero of this team.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If we make the NCG regardless of that result I think he should win every COTY award that exists.

2015 was another stellar job but even that team didn’t improve as much as this 2023 team has.

We have to hope the IB was an anomaly and not a regression and then FINISH.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Not sure overcoming self-induced issues qualifies one for COTY.
There is truth to this.

But I do at least credit him with finally making needed changes to self correct where we were headed.

He's still a new kinder gentler CNS but he hasn't gone full Bowden/Paterno and he's way overdue for some recognition.

This was a borderline 6-6 team with MAJOR QB and team wide issues in Sept.

We are 11-1 now about to play UGA in the SECCG.

To this point I don't see another HC in America who has done a better job overall for this season.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is truth to this.

But I do at least credit him with finally making needed changes to self correct where we were headed.

He's still a new kinder gentler CNS but he hasn't gone full Bowden/Paterno and he's way overdue for some recognition.

This was a borderline 6-6 team with MAJOR QB and team wide issues in Sept.

We are 11-1 now about to play UGA for the SECCG.

To this point I don't see another HC in America who has done a better job overall for this season.
Drinkwitz is a legit candidate for the award, IMO.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
If we make the NCG regardless of that result I think he should win every COTY award that exists.

2015 was another stellar job but even that team didn’t improve as much as this 2023 team has.

I don't think we regressed. We won by almost the same score UGA did against the Barn. UGA won 27 to 20. This year has been a great coaching effort by Saban. Not just the players, but also the coaches.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I think it was an anomaly..............looking ahead, lack of concentration, overlooking AU, whatever...........I think this week they are dialed in

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I know he won't win it, but Curt Cignetti (a former Saban assistant) has done a pretty impressive job at JMU this year as well as last year.

Taking an FCS team into two full seasons of FBS play and he has an 18-4 record (including 11-1) this year.

I suspect he will be on many teams' list for bigger jobs this year and in years to come.

Word is that he would likely jump at WVU if given the chance because of family ties to the Mountain State.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
If recruiting rankings are to be believed we have as much or more talent than anyone in the country. ( Georgia's talent ranks high and they are productive with it. So rankings have some validity. ) That being said, I don’t think the coaching has been all that productive at times this year. Just don't see coach of the year myself. It's not Texas and a loss as much as USF and Arkansas.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads