Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
One thing I’m curious about with these guys who transfer all the time for NIL- are they actually completing a degree in anything other than “football”? Most schools don’t take credits from other schools, even for the same degree programs. I mean 3 mil in 4 years by 21 is awesome, but if you aren’t good enough for the NFL, which most of these kids are not, what are they going to do? That 3mil is not going to last forever, and with the discipline that these kids likely have it probably won’t last 5 yrs post college. They are going to be broke and not have a degree.
I look at what these guys are majoring in, when they are introduced on TV during a game. I ask myself, “What career/profession/industry would be looking for someone with a degree in that?”
I never come up with an answer - these “degree” programs were created for the athletes that needed help from 20 people to graduate HS. If they don’t make it in the NFL, you’ll find them working at Home Depot. Those degrees are useless in finding a job making over 30 grand a year.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Ohio State QB Kyle McCord expected to go to Nebraska
Despite an impressive stat-line and the Buckeyes finishing 11-1 on the season, though, McCord struggled to live up to the expectations set by the Ohio State fanbase. And there's no doubt Ryan Day losing a third straight game to Michigan played a role in McCord's transfer decision.

McCord has since entered the transfer portal. It sounds like he'll be sticking in the Big Ten, too. Several industry experts have logged predictions for McCord to end up at Nebraska.

"HuskerOnline's @Sean_Callahan has logged an expert prediction for Nebraska to land Ohio State transfer QB Kyle McCord," On3 posted.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He must really like corn.
Cleveland Plain Dealer: Ohio State players on ‘unfair’ treatment, ‘tough moments’ for QB Kyle McCord before transfer decision

“I think he handled it as best as you could in that position,” Sawyer said. “At Ohio State, all the eyes are on the quarterback. You’re expected to throw for 4,000 yards, 50 touchdowns — it’s a lot of pressure, especially when you’re a first-time starter.

“And you’re playing on a bad wheel all year, and you’re battling through it, you’re handling stuff like a professional like he did all season. It’s hard to see. I feel bad for him, as a friend and as a teammate.”

McCord immediately became one of the best quarterbacks available in the transfer portal. He is visiting Nebraska this week, and Matt Rhule’s team is widely considered the front-runner to bring him in. The Cornhuskers play at Ohio Stadium next Oct. 26.
The expectations there will certainly be lower.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Whatever happened to sticking it out. The guy is the starter. All kinds of " fringe " benefits. He will only get better. And he just walks away. These guys could not of played at any school, for any of the old school coaches. Can you imagine what Woody Hayes would of done to him.

JDCrimson

Suspended
Feb 12, 2006

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Saw where Carson Beck is asking for 4 million in NIL. Site was called A to Z Sports so I don’t know if that is accurate or not.
NIL is getting ridiculous. I mean what is it coming to?

ETA: Appears to be on some message boards so I’d take it with a grain of salt but who knows?

Last edited:
  • Smash Keyboard
Reactions: B1GTide

JDCrimson

Suspended
Feb 12, 2006
The current environment is turning college athletes into hustlers and shakedown artists... Nothing professional about any of this.

Saw where Carson Beck is asking for 4 million in NIL. Site was called A to Z Sports so I don’t know if that is accurate or not.
NIL is getting ridiculous. I mean what is it coming to?

ETA: Appears to be on some message boards so I’d take it with a grain of salt but who knows?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Changing his commitment to, drum roll please.........Nebraska.

In unrelated news, a guy with his last name just received a big pay raise as their offensive line coach.
I believe that is his uncle.

Brock Vandagriff, Carson Beck’s back up hit the portal as a grad transfer and committed to Kentucky.

Reactions: AlexanderFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads