Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I heard if the right portal guys want to come some of the late freshmen signees may be asked to greyshirt which would open another 1-2 spots.
Greyshirt. I hadn't heard that term for years.

I have slept since then. What exactly does that mean...? :unsure:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I heard if the right portal guys want to come some of the late freshmen signees may be asked to greyshirt which would open another 1-2 spots.
If I remember correctly, that would only apply to guys who have not yet enrolled right? Once a guy is on campus, he already counts even if he doesn't play in the fall I think,

If true, that means the pool would be Williams (no way he's not coming), Carter (Edge), Riley (RB), Jefferson (WR), Scott (WR), Mboumaua (DL), Reese (ILB) and Lindsey (TE)

some_al_fan

Scout Team
Jan 14, 2024
If I remember correctly, that would only apply to guys who have not yet enrolled right? Once a guy is on campus, he already counts even if he doesn't play in the fall I think,

If true, that means the pool would be Williams (no way he's not coming), Carter (Edge), Riley (RB), Jefferson (WR), Scott (WR), Mboumaua (DL), Reese (ILB) and Lindsey (TE)
There were rumors even before Saban's retirement that Reese was a greyshirt candidate

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

I can see Reese and maybe Lindsey being greyshirt candidates. But thats it.

We want everyone else on campus getting experience and into the S&C program.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I think grayshirts can enroll as part-time students in the fall semester at any school (often JUCO). They go on scholarship and full-time in January and can participate with the team then (maybe after the end of fall semester with bowl eligible teams).