Tua's Injury

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When you think about it, both Jeudy and now Smith have had monster years during their careers at Alabama. They've proven themselves in every way possible. Ruggs has the same or maybe even better potential; we've all seen it. But, he's the only one who has yet to have that truly monster season. With 3 or 4 great WRs, it's very difficult for that to happen for all of them anyway.

So, Ruggs coming back would make a little sense. Him going pro does too, but coming back and being the lead guy with 1000 yards and 15 TDs would make him a sure fire 1st round pick. I agree he would be the most up in the air at this point.
EVERYONE is literally picking him to go to the Raiders at around 11-15...... it seems to be a foregone conclusion he will go......

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you think about it, both Jeudy and now Smith have had monster years during their careers at Alabama. They've proven themselves in every way possible. Ruggs has the same or maybe even better potential; we've all seen it. But, he's the only one who has yet to have that truly monster season. With 3 or 4 great WRs, it's very difficult for that to happen for all of them anyway.

So, Ruggs coming back would make a little sense. Him going pro does too, but coming back and being the lead guy with 1000 yards and 15 TDs would make him a sure fire 1st round pick. I agree he would be the most up in the air at this point.
I think there is a chance Ruggs comes back because frankly the WR pool is going to be deep this year partly thanks to our own guys but you've CeeDee Lamb and Michael Pittman, Jr too. I think he'd be served well by being the lead dog in a tandem w/ Waddle and Meachie in 2020. I don't think he's going to get a first round grade and he should know that his touches will go up SIGNIFICANTLY in 2020.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
EVERYONE is literally picking him to go to the Raiders at around 11-15...... it seems to be a foregone conclusion he will go......
Not going to happen. No way Ruggs goes in the top half of the 1st round this year. Last year? Maybe. Not this year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Ruggs wild card is that he can blow people away with his speed. He's not just fast he has a legitimate shot at breaking the 40 combine record fast. And there always seem to be teams that buy into that kind of stuff.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Honestly, part of me hopes they all 3 declare simply because I think Waddle could have a real shot at the Heisman next year if he gets to be THE guy at WR. Obviously, it'd be better for the team as a whole if at least one of them stays though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Ruggs came back, he'd be the top WR taken in the 2021. His only chance at the first round is the 40 time this year. This is a deep pool with a lot of quality athletic talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And I hate to be doing the negatives but Ruggs has not shown the all-round polish of Juedy or Smith. Each have proven that they can run routes to work themselves open and just burn folks if the play demands it. Ruggs is more of a burner and less of a route runner than the other two in his class. Most of his big plays are gadgets, screens, or fly/fade routes. He needs to show that he can shake guys which is probably why his numbers went down and Smith's went up in this more short-passing focused offense in 2019. Smith has an incredible YPC but so many of them are off 5-10 yard underneath routes where he's gotten yards of separation due to route running and then makes the safety miss en route to the endzone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Ruggs came back, he'd be the top WR taken in the 2021. His only chance at the first round is the 40 time this year. This is a deep pool with a lot of quality athletic talent.
Don't sleep on Waddle.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Ruggs has kinda disappeared in the last half of the season. Seems like since he got injured against UT he hasn't been the same and then he took that shot against State too to injure his ribs.

So, at this point, I think if just one of those 4 guys were to return it would kinda be like winning the lottery for Bama fans. They are probably all gone.

Concerning Tua, I think he's gone too but what we don't know is how well and fast he rehabs. If he still projects to go in the first round I figure he goes, but the uncertainty about his recovery is the only possible reason something might cause him to think it's better to stay another year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ruggs has kinda disappeared in the last half of the season. Seems like since he got injured against UT he hasn't been the same and then he took that shot against State too to injure his ribs.

So, at this point, I think if just one of those 4 guys were to return it would kinda be like winning the lottery for Bama fans. They are probably all gone.

Concerning Tua, I think he's gone too but what we don't know is how well and fast he rehabs. If he still projects to go in the first round I figure he goes, but the uncertainty about his recovery is the only possible reason something might cause him to think it's better to stay another year.
Waddle has to come back. A Ruggs/Waddle combo would be one of the best in the SEC and country.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Disregard if already discussed, but I would think next year's O-line would probably be a factor in any discussion of Tua coming back (which I think highly unlikely in the event of a favorable rehab). Looks like Leatherwood, Brown, Dickerson, and Wills are all juniors. If they all declare, then we're looking at a rebuild, which would be a big mark in the minus column.

Best to assume Tua goes with our gratitude and best wishes for a long and lucrative NFL career.

A WR corps of Ruggs, Waddle, and Metchie, however, does have me salivating a little.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The only one not getting love in round 1 from the mocks I've seen is Smith..... looks like he's the one most likely to not get the 1st rd grade

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The only one not getting love in round 1 from the mocks I've seen is Smith..... looks like he's the one most likely to not get the 1st rd grade
That is changing fast. More recent analysis has him as Alabama's 2nd best WR right now, ahead of Ruggs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not seeing that in the mocks yet.... hopefully they can both come back
You have so much quality depth at WR that next year is barely going to see a drop-off. I hope that Wills, Leatherwood and Brown come back. That is were you can really dominate next year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Smith vs Ruggs is interesting. Ruggs has an elite trait in his speed. Smith lacks that one "wow" trait plus he is very small. Think he's listed under 180.

So, I that's why I'm confused about where they will be drafted. Ruggs could work on his route running but plenty of speed guys are over drafted because of speed. Smith probably doesn't have much to improve upon in college but he lacks the physical profile of your typical NFL WR and I'm sure some teams will worry about his ability to hold up long term in the NFL.

Also, I agree with BIG the real key to next year is who we can get to come back on the OL. Though I'd add Defense to that as well. If we can get Moses to come back specifically it would be big. WR will be fine regardless of who we lose

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Disregard if already discussed, but I would think next year's O-line would probably be a factor in any discussion of Tua coming back (which I think highly unlikely in the event of a favorable rehab). Looks like Leatherwood, Brown, Dickerson, and Wills are all juniors. If they all declare, then we're looking at a rebuild, which would be a big mark in the minus column.

Best to assume Tua goes with our gratitude and best wishes for a long and lucrative NFL career.

A WR corps of Ruggs, Waddle, and Metchie, however, does have me salivating a little.....
I'm not sure all of them -- or any of them -- should or will leave. None of them is a first round draft pick in my outstanding observation...they just don't seem to stack up, individually or together, to the OL's we have had in the past.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.