What are you listening to (Music) III

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
"Hot Child in the City" is an ode to runaways from the album City Nights. It was written and recorded by Nick Gilder and it went to number one both in Canada (October 14, 1978) and in the United States (October 28, 1978). It was not his first number one single: as the lead singer of the glam rock band Sweeney Todd, he had hit #1 in Canada on June 26, 1976 (in the RPM listing) with the single "Roxy Roller", which remained at the top for three weeks. He won 2 Juno Awards in Canada and a People's Choice Award in the US. According to The Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits it held the record for taking the longest amount of time to reach number one.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Been stuck in my head all day….maybe one of you can take it over for awhile!

Great album! All 3 of his first albums are all classics and his best ever, IMHO.

1975 I was a student at UF and entered into the Ornamental Horticulture program. We had a group from south Florida - in particular the Homestead area, which is renown for it's propensity of landscape nurseries. Mostly females in the program - and through their passion, I became familiar with Jimmy Buffett, amongst other areas of what seemed to mostly be a south Florida culture.

They were wise in many ways that I was not.

But that's how it's supposed to be when one is attending college. The education you receive comes in all shapes and sizes and it's up to each person to absorb what they absorb.

JB's been with me ever since......not a bad companion to have in life........

Reactions: whatsamatta U

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
@Bazza
I agree, his first 3 were the best. However like most artists, the big signing contract comes and they have deadlines in the song/album and the creativity/originality has a tendency to drop off somewhat. That said I do like all of his music. Somewhere Over China is probably my favorite.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
For my fellow "Dan enthusiasts"...couple early ones (pre Countdown to Ecstasy) that never made it to any albums.....before now.

Here is POCO's version of the song Dallas from their album Head Over Heels, released in 1975. I'm a HUGE fan of Steely Dan, and also a HUGE fan of POCO.

• Thank You

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
And as you well know...Poco band member Timothy B. Schmit sang backing vocals on the Steely Dan albums Pretzel Logic, The Royal Scam and Aja.
Yes, Schmit is a fantastic vocalist and musician. I hit the shores of Japan in 1979, about a year after the release there of the album containing the two Steely Dan songs you posted. I own quite a few Japanese pressings of American artists' albums because they were typically of higher quality (even though on my meager G.I. salary they were dang expensive).

• Heart

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yes, Schmit is a fantastic vocalist and musician. I hit the shores of Japan in 1979, about a year after the release there of the album containing the two Steely Dan songs you posted. I own quite a few Japanese pressings of American artists' albums because they were typically of higher quality (even though on my meager G.I. salary they were dang expensive).
Thanks for that story and for your service! Yeah, the Japanese are very tuned in with our pop culture, much like many other countries in the world are. Friend of mine had a comment once about the Australians who grew up watching "I Love Lucy"....for many Aussies, that was the lens through which their viewed us Yanks...lol...

Back to Japan...here's a fantastic upload from a Japanese Band's YT channel. We could use more Clapton - eh?

This was five years ago when he was 70.

Royal Albert Hall.

So sick.....

Reactions: Relayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.