What will the 2024 Bama defense look like?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I’m curious to see what the X&O members of this forum think we’re going to see in our defense under DeBoer and Co. Having lost so much from the ‘23 team are we going to see a wholesale change? How much of a “work in process” mentality are we going to have to endure?

Reactions: Tidelines

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I’m curious to see what the X&O members of this forum think we’re going to see in our defense under DeBoer and Co. Having lost so much from the ‘23 team are we going to see a wholesale change? How much of a “work in process” mentality are we going to have to endure?
I’ve wondered how complex it is compared to Saban’s.

Or in other words, is it easier for young players to pick up?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I expect it to be complicated, but not nearly as complex as CNS’ . Remember Nick is offering advice to the defensive staff. And the basic philosophy of Womack’s system and what we ran 60% of the time the last few years is similiar. The defensive back reads will be different at this level, CNS used an NFL system in the backfield. With the portal losses , and NFL draft we will still see some growing pains. BTW, Arnold may prove to be the best we ever had when it’s all said and done, and his career looked at as a whole.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
We will run a 4-2-5 style defense. Wommack calls it a swarm design. My understanding is that the Nickel type posistion is a tweener that can play bandit styles. The system will also change for personel type both at defensive line, defensive end, and Linebacker. I am not sure how well the current OLB will be asked to adjust to be DE. I am sure that Wommack will also adjust his defense to incorporate the quality of athletes he will be coaching now.

Reactions: CrimSonami

Bama75&80

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2019
Would be nice to see more interceptions. Add some stress to a quarterback as they are trying to evade a swarming pass rush.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
I expect it to be complicated, but not nearly as complex as CNS’ . Remember Nick is offering advice to the defensive staff. And the basic philosophy of Womack’s system and what we ran 60% of the time the last few years is similiar. The defensive back reads will be different at this level, CNS used an NFL system in the backfield. With the portal losses , and NFL draft we will still see some growing pains. BTW, Arnold may prove to be the best we ever had when it’s all said and done, and his career looked at as a whole.
With guys like Kirkpatrick Sr. and Fitzpatrick it will be hard for him to be the top guy.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I just want to get back to a dominant pass rush. I loved the days of Duron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Quinnen Williams, etc. where we could collapse a pocket in the blink of an eye.
The great equalizer against any good QB....like what Michigan did against Penix....get after him, stress him, collapse the pocket. That was how Chip Kelly's Oregon teams with Mariota were beaten.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
so the alignment is similar, and it's closer to 90% of the time that Saban was using a nickel, but from what I have seen looking at both UW and USA, the philosophy of how that 4-2-5 alignment operates is pretty different. More one gap attack and run fits from the front 6 guys and some Safety/Nickel support, with simplified coverages as you mentioned on the backend.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
so the alignment is similar, and it's closer to 90% of the time that Saban was using a nickel, but from what I have seen looking at both UW and USA, the philosophy of how that 4-2-5 alignment operates is pretty different. More one gap attack and run fits from the front 6 guys and some Safety/Nickel support, with simplified coverages as you mentioned on the backend.
How do you think it fits Alabama's personnel and how effective should it be against today's offenses compared to the Saban system? Like most fans I like an attacking D, will it be worth the risk?

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
The great equalizer against any good QB....like what Michigan did against Penix....get after him, stress him, collapse the pocket. That was how Chip Kelly's Oregon teams with Mariota were beaten.
It is especially effective if the rush comes from the middle of the d-line. When it's in the QB's face it's even more disruptive. That is what guys like Allen and Williams brought to the table, but that is hard to coach. It just takes a unicorn athlete to make that happen. Think Warren Sapp type of guys.

Reactions: Tidelines

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
How do you think it fits Alabama's personnel and how effective should it be against today's offenses compared to the Saban system? Like most fans I like an attacking D, will it be worth the risk?
this is all speculation, so I could be way off, but IMO, many of the roles/player types are very similar. The biggest possible change I see is for one edge player. Saban typically ran three guys who were big body DL types with one of them just being slightly smaller and playing kinda like an edge guy. This was Eboigbe last year. These are typically guys who still end up as DTs when they go to the NFL. Neither the UW or USA defense used that type of guy as an EDGE player. They go with 2 bigger types inside, then a guy like we would think of as a JACK or SAM as one edge, then they have an edge that's bigger than we would have for an OLB, but isn't a 290 or 300 pound guy either. In the past when we had these types in the 265 to 280 range, we'd bulk them up to be one of the three bigs. Now they'll possibly have a spot without the extra weight. Luckily we do have some guys of that type on campus now, but having those guys step into edge roles is the biggest change from a personnel fit standpoint. Otherwise the one EDGE, the 2 Interior DL, 2 LBs and the DB positions all seem to be the same type of guys, just maybe with slightly different roles/responsibilities and types for what we would have called Star, FS and SS, but would now be S, FS and Rover (or some other name).

This video has some pretty good insight into it also. The summary of it is that Saban was running a nickel variant +85% of the time, with the rest in dime, and we're just running a slightly different nickel variant going forward. Saban's nickel variant kept 2 safeties higher (but with one crashing hard in run support most of the time), where it seems this nickel variant might only keep one safety high and have the other up closer, but then bailing faster in pass pro...

Last edited:

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
Arnold and Amos both were better CB’s than Kool-Aid.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

Wommack wants to blend the old with the new and find the best way that Alabama can be elite on defense.

“There is a ton of carry-over in what we do and what Coach Saban has done,” Wommack said.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll be honest that I wasn't sure how well the "let's consult CNS" avenue might work in the transition, but it seems Womack and Deboer are really playing it the right way so far.

And I trust CNS will know how far away he needs to stay without seeming to interfere. He's the GOAT so I'm glad he's still available.

Reactions: Con

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Wommack wants to blend the old with the new and find the best way that Alabama can be elite on defense.

“There is a ton of carry-over in what we do and what Coach Saban has done,” Wommack said.
I have a feeling we'll see more of similar blitz concepts and how they deploy man to man coverage, 2 man coverage and etc. I really want to know is how they will teach DBs in how they track the ball.

Reactions: Con and BamaMoon

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads