BREAKING: Raekwon Davis Suffers Minor Gunshot Wound

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I will be 50 in November, and when I was a young adult, we were reckless. I agree 100%. But, I think that things are a bit more dangerous now than then? Maybe there was just as much bad element then, and I was just lucky to avoid it, but it does seem to be a larger bad element that back in my day. We used to go to the games & just let loose in "T" town back in the early 90's, and I never felt that I was at risk of being shot. But, from what I hear, things are much more dangerous now. Or, maybe I just did not go to the really dangerous places. I remember there were some bars that I knew to avoid.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will be 50 in November, and when I was a young adult, we were reckless. I agree 100%. But, I think that things are a bit more dangerous now than then? Maybe there was just as much bad element then, and I was just lucky to avoid it, but it does seem to be a larger bad element that back in my day. We used to go to the games & just let loose in "T" town back in the early 90's, and I never felt that I was at risk of being shot. But, from what I hear, things are much more dangerous now. Or, maybe I just did not go to the really dangerous places. I remember there were some bars that I knew to avoid.
The point is that even if it was just as dangerous then, you still would have done it because you were still young and reckless.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It's true we hear about things a lot more now with the 24 hour news cycle and social media and that there are specific areas which are highly problematic, but the reality is that there's far LESS crime, especially violent crime than there was in the early 90s. The early 90's were the peak of violent crime rates in the US. The rate now, across the US, is less than HALF of what it was then even.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
It's true we hear about things a lot more now with the 24 hour news cycle and social media and that there are specific areas which are highly problematic, but the reality is that there's far LESS crime, especially violent crime than there was in the early 90s. The early 90's were the peak of violent crime rates in the US. The rate now, across the US, is less than HALF of what it was then even.
Yep, the number of homicides in Alabama over the past 10 years is lower than it was for almost any year from 1960-2000 (62-64 were similar in numbers, but every other year was above recent times), and that doesn't even take into account the population growing by 1.5 million people.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Question: How does one shoot themselves in the leg while firing into the air? That's quite a trick. The projective must come down, but to do so where it would come down in almost the same spot it originated is...well...I just don't know how to describe it.

Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Question: How does one shoot themselves in the leg while firing into the air? That's quite a trick. The projective must come down, but to do so where it would come down in almost the same spot it originated is...well...I just don't know how to describe it.

Roll Tide!
Stuff happens - just ask Plaxico Burress. That said, the person running the bar repeated what she claimed to be a rumor. We don't even know if this really was a rumor since this woman had a reason to want to draw the attention away from her bar and shift it elsewhere. So, at best it was a rumor. At worst it was a fabrication. The only thing that the evidence says is that Davis was unlucky.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Roll Tide!
The wound, particularly since this one has been reported as a graze, would indicate the direction of the bullet...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Roll Tide!
agreed - the physics are daunting. assuming it was a pistol, and depending on the caliber, the round would go 3800-4500 feet up and from pulling the trigger to returning to the ground would take well over 10 seconds, probably closer to 20. Now take into account wind drift, instability of the round (it will tumble and not spiral on way down), the movement of the earth, movement of Raekwon during the time the round was in the air, not to mention dude's got a pretty significant sized upper body that would shield most of his legs from anything coming down from above.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
agreed - the physics are daunting. assuming it was a pistol, and depending on the caliber, the round would go 3800-4500 feet up and from pulling the trigger to returning to the ground would take well over 10 seconds, probably closer to 20. Now take into account wind drift, instability of the round (it will tumble and not spiral on way down), the movement of the earth, movement of Raekwon during the time the round was in the air, not to mention dude's got a pretty significant sized upper body that would shield most of his legs from anything coming down from above.
I believe the show Mythbusters proved it is impossible to shoot a gun straight up into the air and have it come down in the same spot. It actually wasn’t even close. 100 yards+ in every try.

FYI the radio guys here in Atlanta have bought into the bar owner's story and are running it as fact. RD might have a pretty good defamation suit against the bar owner.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I believe the show Mythbusters proved it is impossible to shoot a gun straight up into the air and have it come down in the same spot. It actually wasn’t even close. 100 yards+ in every try.

FYI the radio guys here in Atlanta have bought into the bar owner's story and are running it as fact. RD might have a pretty good defamation suit against the bar owner.
If the bar owner told the story to the press but didn't tell it to the TPD they should be charged with obstruction of justice or police investigation. If he told the story to the TPD then I am sure they would have run a GSR test on RD's hands.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Interesting thought that I didn't see mentioned on this thread. Remember Brandon Deaderick, DT in 2009? He was shot in the arm on Monday night before the VaTech-Alabama Chick-Fil-A game in 2009. He played in that game 5 days after the gun shot wound. It was in his arm not his leg, but still there is hope (especially since RD did take part yesterday).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Interesting thought that I didn't see mentioned on this thread. Remember Brandon Deaderick, DT in 2009? He was shot in the arm on Monday night before the VaTech-Alabama Chick-Fil-A game in 2009. He played in that game 5 days after the gun shot wound. It was in his arm not his leg, but still there is hope (especially since RD did take part yesterday).
Good point. I firmly believe Raekwon will play Sat and play a lot.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Earle would have to officially comment. But that one is a hard one to prove in the court system.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I had thought the same thing, but couldn't remember the players name.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

If the quotes from the bar owner are correct, she likely can't be sued. She specifically said the rumor was that he shot in the air and shot himself.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the quotes from the bar owner are correct, she likely can't be sued. She specifically said the rumor was that he shot in the air and shot himself.
As I understand it (not a lawyer), the only way that she could lose a suit like that is if it could be proved that she made up the rumor, and that she did it with an intent to harm Davis' reputation, and that he was actually harmed by her statements. You might be able to prove harm, maybe, but how do you prove the first two items?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
She said it specifically in such a way to protect herself while trying to turn the controversy into "out of control football player" and away from "consistently violent bar location that you just spent a lot of money to buy and renovate"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.