News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So are we afraid to try and shoot them down and miss?
THAAD's are not cheap. You've got to know that the missile is going to hit something valuable before you spend $ millions to shoot it down. If it is going to fall harmlessly in the Pacific, do you want to waste a few mil shooting it down?
Plus, if you shoot and miss, for any reason, how will that fact influence North Korean behavior in the future? How would it influence South Korean behavior? Japanese? Chinese?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
THAAD's are not cheap. You've got to know that the missile is going to hit something valuable before you spend $ millions to shoot it down. If it is going to fall harmlessly in the Pacific, do you want to waste a few mil shooting it down?
Plus, if you shoot and miss, for any reason, how will that fact influence North Korean behavior in the future? How would it influence South Korean behavior? Japanese? Chinese?
What are they? $30mil each or something like that? I guess which is worse spending the money on missiles? Or letting NK improve their missiles?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
They probably at least track to see where it is going. If it appears to land on a city or in a country, I'd guess they try to shoot it down. If it's going to go in the ocean, I'd imagine they'd let it go.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I can see the validity in shooting one of their missiles down before it ever reaches Japan just to emphatically state "LOL, you're just learning how to launch missiles and we already have missiles that kill missiles." Like Shaq swatting down the jump-shot of a 6 year old. Sort of like saying - congrats, you're developing useless technology.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I can see the validity in shooting one of their missiles down before it ever reaches Japan just to emphatically state "LOL, you're just learning how to launch missiles and we already have missiles that kill missiles." Like Shaq swatting down the jump-shot of a 6 year old. Sort of like saying - congrats, you're developing useless technology.
But this guy in charge wouldn't understand and would probably think we shot it down out of fear of his awesomeness. He needs to die. His whole line needs to die. Call China, tell them our intentions and just missile his family into submission. Or have China do it, although I don't think he bothers them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It went over Japan. We have no way of knowing intent until its too late.
This is really not true. We actually know within seconds of launch the target area. If we didn't, THAAD wouldn't begin to work. However, we wouldn't know, for example, if one were targeted for Guam or designed to splash harmlessly into waters off Guam. For that matter, I haven't enough trust in NK technology to believe that they know exactly where it's going to land...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
But this guy in charge wouldn't understand and would probably think we shot it down out of fear of his awesomeness. He needs to die. His whole line needs to die. Call China, tell them our intentions and just missile his family into submission. Or have China do it, although I don't think he bothers them.

I doubt he'd take it that way. Remember there is an underlying layer of rationality in what he does and says. He wants to survive and his dynasty to survive. This can also explain some of Trump's antics...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I doubt he'd take it that way. Remember there is an underlying layer of rationality in what he does and says. He wants to survive and his dynasty to survive. This can also explain some of Trump's antics...
I guess he could be the loudmouth small fry at the bar who is always loud and obnoxious because he knows he has his big friends to bail him out. Could be goading Trump into something, that doesn't appear to be very difficult right now though.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

China wants them around to needle us. They will use them to attack us when they sprint Thyudiclies Trap

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is an interesting question:
Did Ukraine Provide Rocket Engines to North Korea For Its Nuclear Missile Program?
Based on a IISS study.
The secret to North Korea’s ICBM success

The North Koreans stopped experimenting with one engine type in late 2016 and made a great leap forward, using a new rocket engine that appears to come from one of two places: Russia or Ukraine. The Ukrainian factory in Dnipro (formerly known as Dniepropetrovsk) are underemployed and may be susceptible to a sales pitch from North Korean agents.

As for the other possible source of the engines, North Koreans in Russia Work ‘Basically in the Situation of Slaves’

So, Kim sends tens of thousands of North Korean workers to factories in the Russian far east, some Friend of Putin gets the labor, pays Kim the money, which Kim turns around and pays to another friend of Putin for rocket engines with which Kim advances one of Putin's major policy objectives: embarrass/threaten/destabilize the US.
Nice.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Tidewater. You seem to be well informed. At this point what do you think our best option is? Confront them? ignore them? Let China deal with it? FWIW I think China is toying with us on NK.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Tidewater. You seem to be well informed. At this point what do you think our best option is? Confront them? ignore them? Let China deal with it? FWIW I think China is toying with us on NK.
All I know is from open sources.
As for NK, we bribed NK for a long time and they probably expect it now.
China does not want SK & NK unified, so they will not cooperate.
Russia just wants to embarrass/inconvenience/undermine the US, so they won't cooperate.
It might be best to let conventional nuclear deterrence work ("If you launch a nuke at anyone, we'll obliterate your entire country.")

The scary thing is that world wars are started over miscalculations in such situations.
And we don't have the steadiest hand at the helm just now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The North Koreans stopped experimenting with one engine type in late 2016 and made a great leap forward, using a new rocket engine that appears to come from one of two places: Russia or Ukraine. The Ukrainian factory in Dnipro (formerly known as Dniepropetrovsk) are underemployed and may be susceptible to a sales pitch from North Korean agents.
Wouldn't surprise me, but the Russian RD engines are rock-solid - the number of failures the NKs have had in the last dozen launches probably exceed what the RD motors have had in a 100+ launches outside of NK.

That said, the entire system has to be solid for the rockets to operate properly, so the failure might have nothing to do with the failures... and I've long thought that the Russians / Iranians / Pakistanis / etc were selling secrets to North Korea - they've made far too many technological leaps in too short of a time to have done so unaided.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.