Question: Where does the program go from here?

Upupbama

Suspended
Dec 1, 2019
The players “sitting out” Bowl game will have a major impact on recruiting. It appears that LSU and UGA have significantly eroded our running back, wr, and all other positions.
Is it time for CNS to replace coaches or time to retire? Are conditions that bad? Losing two games in one year is a “goal” for most programs. NOT at Alabama!
Injuries, penalties, lack of discipline, inexperience cost us two games.
Where do we go from here??
Roll Tide!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

The3rdWalterLou

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
Re: Players returning and recruiting

Clearly you haven't been around long enough to remember a time before Nick Saban when 10-2 was rare.

The last decade of Alabama football has been more successful than a lifetime of most other programs. We will be fine.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The players “sitting out” Bowl game will have a major impact on recruiting. It appears that LSU and UGA have significantly eroded our running back, wr, and all other positions.
Well, LSU and Ohio State have a history of players sitting out bowl games and it has not hurt their recruiting. You will be fine. Besides, has anyone actually announced that they are sitting the bowl game out?

ETA - Welcome, and Roll Tide!

Upupbama

Suspended
Dec 1, 2019

I have been for 69 years. I was in school during a couple of lean years with Coach Bryant. My point is that we have a unique and higher standard than most (or all) college football programs. Not only do "we" have a higher standard, but, the media holds us to a much higher standard. UA losing is big news! And, we were very successful prior to Bryant and had some lean years prior to Saban. No UA fan wants to lose the momentum created by Saban. He has been the BEST (except for Coach Bryant). My question is, "do we lose that momentum if we have a few lean years (God forbid!) with Saban as HC or is he the keeper of the flame ?"
Agreed, this has been an unprecedented run and we ALL want to continue the success.
Is the loss of two games in one season just an aberration? Sans 2010.
Just curious what others think?

l
Clearly you haven't been around long enough to remember a time before Nick Saban when 10-2 was rare.

The last decade of Alabama football has been more successful than a lifetime of most other programs. We will be fine.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

We've got problems. 10-2 seasons, good or bad, notwithstanding, there should be no debate that there are issues going on with this program. Some may think it boils down to bad injury luck, and some may think it's more than that, but the fact of the matter is that Alabama should be 12-0 right now even if the Tua injury doesn't change. We should have beaten LSU as it were, and we certainly should have beaten Auburn as it were.

However, I'm more than confident that Nick Saban will fix it. And if he ultimately cannot, well then he's more than earned the right to decide that on his own. We don't yet know what players are sitting out the bowl game, if any. I would not be surprised either way. I know I certainly would not want my Alabama career to end with that dumpster fire of a performance that occurred over the weekend. I would want to rally and finish strong in a bowl game no matter what bowl game it was. But I don't have millions riding on that decision either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

My question is, "do we lose that momentum if we have a few lean years (God forbid!) with Saban as HC or is he the keeper of the flame ?"
I think that Saban has a much higher standard for his performance than any fan. But I also think that fans could push him into retirement before he actually declines. So ask questions like this at your own peril. Some day Saban will retire, and whoever replaces him will be less, even if Saban has begun his decline before he retires. You want that date moved as far into the future as possible. The best way to do that - be a fan. Support the heck out of Saban. Make him want to stay. Make him want to improve. Make him feel like he is family. Because he is family, right?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Did you really say we were eroded at wr and running back? Waddle is coming back, maybe even one of the big three, and there are guys waiting to play with similar pedigrees to what we have now. Not to mention Robinson squared in the backfield. Not eroded, just waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

We have 4 first round wide receivers...I think someone got into the Scooby Snacks...
Is it time for CNS to replace coaches or time to retire? Are conditions that bad? Losing two games in one year is a “goal” for most programs. NOT at Alabama!
Injuries, penalties, lack of discipline, inexperience cost us two games.
Where do we go from here??
Roll Tide!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

We are 1 year removed from playing in the National Championship game (our only loss, yes it was a bad one) and now have a 2 loss season because we lost our best player on defense before the season started and then proceeded to lose our best player on offense.

If Tua is healthy this whole season we are at worst sitting at 11-1 with a really good shot at a playoff spot and at best heading to an SEC championship game vs Georgia.

I'm not even a little worried about the state of this program right now. Next year MIGHT be a transition year(a lot up in the air about next years team still). Yea we play Georgia and at LSU but they are both likely to lose a lot of their important players as well.

Upupbama

Suspended
Dec 1, 2019

We had two 5*'s defensive players who left the program before the season started. The transfer portal has changed the way players perceive their chances of playing immediately at other programs. Not sure why they departed. With all the injuries, that was costly because it hinders depth at certain positions.
Three of the 4 first round wr will "likely" be gone after this year. Najee "may" come back. No proven RB with much experience after him. My comment was about "recruiting" of RB's, not who is currently on roster.
I hope you guys are correct and CNS stays and figures it out....but, I have ???'s
It is a challenging standard, at best! Our expectations are very high with good reason. It's incredible to me that I feel like we failed after a 10-2 record. Jaded??? For sure!!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Check the boards...I'd say we're still 'crutin pretty well...and if you're not sure why the
2 5* DL departed, you missed about 150 pages worth of information on that here on TF! Great board, read a bunch and catch up!!! Sky's NOT falling...and WHAT? You have CNS leaving after this??? Maybe your sky is falling!!!:Joker_PDT_20: on TideFans.com
We had two 5*'s defensive players who left the program before the season started. The transfer portal has changed the way players perceive their chances of playing immediately at other programs. Not sure why they departed. With all the injuries, that was costly because it hinders depth at certain positions.
Three of the 4 first round wr will "likely" be gone after this year. Najee "may" come back. No proven RB with much experience after him. My comment was about "recruiting" of RB's, not who is currently on roster.
I hope you guys are correct and CNS stays and figures it out....but, I have ???'s
It is a challenging standard, at best! Our expectations are very high with good reason. It's incredible to me that I feel like we failed after a 10-2 record. Jaded??? For sure!!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

RB group - Assuming Najee leaves, you have 2 guys named Robinson who are 100% ready to play, and Ford is very good. Trey Sanders was truly gifted in HS. Can't wait to see him play. Recruit Roydell Williams looks legit - can run and catch - not likely to play in 2020.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

My goodness.....we are attracting more and more of the "upbeat" posters.... aren't we (sarcastic groan).....

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

We finished the regular season 10-2. We lost those 2 games by a total of 8 points. I don't think it's time to hit the panic button just because we (barely) missed making the playoffs again.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

When I first saw the thread title I expected a different conversation. Something along the lines of
“How will uncertainty of early departures affect recruiting numbers and depth?”
“How does early signing period being before NFL declarations change the approach of the staff?”
“If any of the 3 stud WR stays, does that alter how we try to finish out the class?”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

When I first saw the thread title I expected a different conversation. Something along the lines of
“How will uncertainty of early departures affect recruiting numbers and depth?”
“How does early signing period being before NFL declarations change the approach of the staff?”
“If any of the 3 stud WR stays, does that alter how we try to finish out the class?”
Newbie - he'll figure it out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

deleted - dupe

Last edited:

Upupbama

Suspended
Dec 1, 2019

Hope you are referring to Saban figuring it out. Just don’t want UA to become UT when CNS departs. Perish the thought!!!
My apology if I offended anyone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.