Rod Bramblett and Wife in Serious Car Accident; Wife Passes Away (Update: Both Pass Away)

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I have a hard enough time accepting this ruling and he didn't kill my family. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering that this decision will do to the relatives of the Bramblett's. It's like having to go through the loss all over again.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I see it differently, Dub. So I’m curious...why do you think youthful offender status is the right treatment in this case?
This is, IMO, the exact scenario for which the statue needs to exist. He was 16 and is only 18 now. Yeah, he's a screw up, sheltered from the consequences of his actions by his affluence and the like, as many kids from families with means are, but it's not too late. We can either cast him aside or we can hope he is rehabilitated.

The problem with the statute, is again, arbitrary and capricious application. It isn't applied enough. Not to get too political, but the stats are pretty clear. Boys are more likely to be tried as adults than girls, poor kids are more likely to be tried as adults than rich kids, random kids are more likely to be tried as adults than kids from influential families and minority kids are more likely to be tried as adults than white kids. He gets the benefit of a doubt that other kids that don't share his background should.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is, IMO, the exact scenario for which the statue needs to exist. He was 16 and is only 18 now. Yeah, he's a screw up, sheltered from the consequences of his actions by his affluence and the like, as many kids from families with means are, but it's not too late. We can either cast him aside or we can hope he is rehabilitated.

The problem with the statute, is again, arbitrary and capricious application. It isn't applied enough. Not to get too political, but the stats are pretty clear. Boys are more likely to be tried as adults than girls, poor kids are more likely to be tried as adults than rich kids, random kids are more likely to be tried as adults than kids from influential families and minority kids are more likely to be tried as adults than white kids. He gets the benefit of a doubt that other kids that don't share his background should.
If that statute is not automatically applied to all youthful offenders, it shouldn't exist. If my son had done this he would be charged as an adult. That I can guarantee.

The system is broken.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Let’s compromise: we will start mandatory youthful offender AFTER we throw this kid under the bus.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Well, I see your point on uneven application, but would offer a different solution. Your solution would be to give YO status to everybody under 18, or whatever the age cutoff is.

If you can
- Commit vehicular homicide, killing two people,
- While driving drunk and/or stoned, and
- Repeat the risky behavior, continuing to drive after drinking (well under age, BTW) or smoking marijuana, and
- Still deserve youthful offender status for the original two deaths,

I have to wonder: What set of circumstances would be heinous enough for the public’s safety to take priority, and for YO status to be off the table?

Your solution certainly offers consistent application. But it would also give leniency to everybody under the cutoff age, regardless of the seriousness of the crime — at least up to and including double vehicular homicide while DUI.

Essentially saying, “Our judges aren’t very good, so everybody gets a free pass and a sealed record on everything. We might or might not take public safety under advisement. If we do, we’ll let you know what we come up with.”

The solution I’d offer balances forgiveness for young people doing stupid stuff vs. the public safety: Automatic YO status for specific crimes committed while under a specified cutoff age. But no YO status for anyone charged with other, more serious crimes.

We can debate which crimes are serious enough to take YO off the table, and which ones aren’t. And I’d imagine the list would evolve over time. But you get the idea.

I would also limit the number of different offenses by the same individual. As in, you can qualify for YO status for as many as two different crimes. If you’re charged with a third, you’ve already used up your free passes, the public’s safety takes priority, and you’ll be tried as an adult.

But double vehicular homicide while driving under the influence, with a subsequent unrelated DUI offense that blessedly didn’t result in anyone else’s death, would be well beyond the mercies of my proposed version of YO.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
There's a reason it was this retired judge from Dale county and not someone from the Lee county circuit. All of the Lee county judges recused themselves to avoid even the slightest appearance of conflict of interest.
Why was it a retired judge? Why not simply change the venue? That's actually a thing in the criminal justice system.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Not that this is not a serious subject, but I wanted to inquire as to why this thread is still in the football forum. The last several post have nothing to do with football.

Reactions: ROCKEE

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not that this is not a serious subject, but I wanted to inquire as to why this thread is still in the football forum. The last several post have nothing to do with football.
Should be moved to the NS Board...
It started here, involves people who were part of the AU football program, and it's the off-season, when we're typically a bit more lax about these things...

We'll move it if / when we think it needs to be moved. I'd suggest that if its presence here bothers you, don't click on it.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I don't get the issue with it being on the football board. As CA said, it started here and the Brambletts were a part of the AU football program. It isn't hard to scroll past to other topics. I have been around long enough to know that this board is top notch and ran very well. The Mods are the Sabans of message boards. Trust their process. 😉

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I don't get the issue with it being on the football board. As CA said, it started here and the Brambletts were a part of the AU football program. It isn't hard to scroll past to other topics. I have been around long enough to know that this board is top notch and ran very well. The Mods are the Sabans of message boards. Trust their process. 😉
ETA: I am not implying anything or attacking you. I am just saying they would have moved it if they felt it needed moved. Roll Tide.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area

Youthful offender status can go up to age 21. It certainly should be applied to all young people 18 or younger. Ages 19 to 21 would require judgement.

Reactions: AUDub

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.