Not open for further replies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
B1G

Kansas
Iowa St
If that's all the Big 10 ends up with, that's a pretty sad haul. I'm fine with Kansas but it's a small state and Iowa St. is pretty meh. They could just stop at 15 for now.

I watched a video posted earlier and I guess the SEC really might be trying to go for some sort of knockout punch, but I can't help but think it might backfire. In a 4 conference world, the SEC still only has 25% of the say. They might have 50% of the football powers, but ask Texas A&M what being outvoted feels like and A&M is the richest SEC program. In truth they could be losing some political power, since the Big 12 did ally with them sometimes and now they probably won't exist.

I guess the play here is just to suffocate the Pac-12 and ACC financially. That was happening already though, the SEC was set to be up on them 20 million or so per year, but I guess the idea is that this is an arms race and the SEC is putting themselves in a position to buy the most weapons. The problem is they're going to be shooting themselves with those weapons.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If that's all the Big 10 ends up with, that's a pretty sad haul. I'm fine with Kansas but it's a small state and Iowa St. is pretty meh. They could just stop at 15 for now.

I watched a video posted earlier and I guess the SEC really might be trying to go for some sort of knockout punch, but I can't help but think it might backfire. In a 4 conference world, the SEC still only has 25% of the say. They might have 50% of the football powers, but ask Texas A&M what being outvoted feels like and A&M is the richest SEC program. In truth they could be losing some political power, since the Big 12 did ally with them sometimes and now they probably won't exist.

I guess the play here is just to suffocate the Pac-12 and ACC financially. That was happening already though, the SEC was set to be up on them 20 million or so per year, but I guess the idea is that this is an arms race and the SEC is putting themselves in a position to buy the most weapons. The problem is they're going to be shooting themselves with those weapons.
Again unless you think they can sway Notre Dame then that is the best they are going to do. You have to be an AAU to join the B1G and that really shrinks the lot in an already small pool of bad choices.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I believe this is being done in conjunction with the recent playoff expansion talks. Some details might be adjusted, but we're going to 12 teams, and no less than 8. To get to a number less than 12, the Power 5 is going to have to break away. As rapidly as all of this has seemed to happen, that's going to take a lot of time.

Also, the Big 12 is dead. They will figure the rights out. But no one is remaining in that league and trying to salvage it. This is the great migration. The Big Ten, Pac 12, and perhaps ACC are going to scavenge the remains. A team or two will have to drop to the AAC. So, there will be no conference left for Texas and Oklahoma to pay off.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes but there are a select few you will look the other way for. Notre Dame maybe the only one that is without a full time conference that the B1G would consider.
I agree. I still think it's more likely they choose the ACC if forced. Recruiting would be better for them if they continued to have a consistent presence in that footprint vs. the Big Ten footprint. Yes... they are a national brand and will continue to recruit nationally but every team has to have it's dependable base of operations.

Reactions: TexasBama

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

The 2 Miss schools are more attractive than Kansas and Iowa St.

I disagree that the SEC has been diminished in the least, but on the contrary she has now taken over college athletics through football, i.e., money. IMO, this will likely hurt Alabama but maybe not with Saban operating at peak efficiency or close to it. This is actually invigorating for him because it poses a new challenge.

The UTx fans that I've observed the last day or two have done nothing to change the view that they are insufferably arrogant. They seem to be despicable - hopefully it's just a fringe element that I've encountered.

Reactions: dtgreg and Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The 2 Miss schools are more attractive than Kansas and Iowa St.

I disagree that the SEC has been diminished in the least, but on the contrary she has now taken over college athletics through football, i.e., money. IMO, this will likely hurt Alabama but maybe not with Saban operating at peak efficiency or close to it. This is actually invigorating for him because it poses a new challenge.

The UTx fans that I've observed the last day or two have done nothing to change the view that they are insufferably arrogant. They seem to be despicable - hopefully it's just a fringe element that I've encountered.
I think this may actually kill Texas athletics more than severely injure Alabama.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
B1G

Kansas
Iowa St

ACC

Notre Dame
West Virginia

PAC 12

Texas Tech
Nevada
Who cares 1
Who cares 2

It’s really on the PAC 12 to find their 4. But it’s going to be an expand or die if the SEC goes 16 and college football is going to be all of the sudden in a new world. This unlike NIL is actually an earth shattering event.
BYU is still out there for the PAC. But the pickings are sure slim for them when TX Tech is in the conversation.
Hawaii? Boise St? Wyoming? Geography isn't their friend.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think this may actually kill Texas athletics more than severely injure Alabama.
The things that plagued them in the Big 12/SWC, namely their arrogance in everything they do, aren't going away when they join the SEC.

This isn't going to help Texas A&M though. I heard on the radio today that pre-A&M to SEC, Texas was signing 32% of the blue chip players in the state of Texas while A&M was signing 11%. Those numbers today stand at Texas signing 20% while A&M has rose to 18%. After a decade of the SEC, A&M is still behind Texas in that state even though they have made significant gains.

Now... Texas will have the full weight of the SEC behind them in recruiting. Yet again, I still say they are going to be their own worst enemy.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
BYU is still out there for the PAC. But the pickings are sure slim for them when TX Tech is in the conversation.
Hawaii? Boise St? Wyoming? Geography isn't their friend.
Well like the ACC… they have tried to be a geographic coastal affiliated conference. I know they picked up Utah and Colorado, but really they have always had slim pickings because they have been so stubborn with geographic location and academics. Boise and BYU are non starters for them. I could actually see Montana getting an invitation before either of them. I think Texas Tech and Nevada are where they are going to start, but who they finish with is another question.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The things that plagued them in the Big 12/SWC, namely their arrogance in everything they do, aren't going away when they join the SEC.

This isn't going to help Texas A&M though. I heard on the radio today that pre-A&M to SEC, Texas was signing 32% of the blue chip players in the state of Texas while A&M was signing 11%. Those numbers today stand at Texas signing 20% while A&M has rose to 18%. After a decade of the SEC, A&M is still behind Texas in that state even though they have made significant gains.

Now... Texas will have the full weight of the SEC behind them in recruiting. Yet again, I still say they are going to be their own worst enemy.
The thing about the SEC is that we have very few “good at all sports teams” year in and year out. Florida and LSU are probably the only two. Most teams have a dominant sport that they put all their resources towards. I guarantee you that this move is going to make Arkansas and the Mississippi’s pour more into baseball than you have ever seen. All 3 have baseball facilities that make Texas look like a joke. Baseball is Texas’s second sport and they are about to step into a war zone like they have never known before. Alabama probably pours even more into football. My point is that Texas will have never seen this competition from an athletic or financial standpoint in their entire existence that they are about to see if they sign the letter of their doom (SEC).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The thing about the SEC is that we have very few “good at all sports teams” year in and year out. Florida and LSU are probably the only two. Most teams have a dominant sport that they put all their resources towards. I guarantee you that this move is going to make Arkansas and the Mississippi’s pour more into baseball than you have ever seen. All 3 have baseball facilities that make Texas look like a joke. Baseball is Texas’s second sport and they are about to step into a war zone like they have never known before. Alabama probably pours even more into football. My point is that Texas will have never seen this competition from an athletic or financial standpoint in their entire existence that they are about to see if they sign the letter of their doom (SEC).
On that note, I am hopeful this helps out things in basketball for us as well.

Reactions: 81usaf92

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Initially, this story/rumor seemed like a result of a slow sports news day. But every few hours a new layer adds credence to it. The latest that I read mentioned this occurring as far out as either 2025, or after the 2025 academic year. Other reports are saying it could happen in a matter of weeks, but the only thing that seems logical about that would be possibly the announcement could happen that soon.

If it did happen, the Big XII would be all but done. The remaining members would be scrambling for new leagues to join in order to remain in the mix for the CFP, because the Power 5 would essentially be pared down to the Power 4. And the B1G, PACxx, and ACC would all be trying to catch up to the SEC as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.