NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul of how it governs collegiate athletics

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The NCAA Board of Governors on Friday called for a constitutional convention in November, the first step toward launching dramatic reform in how the sprawling, multibillion-dollar enterprise of college sports is governed for years to come.

In the wake of a stinging loss in the Supreme Court and radical changes to the way athletes can be compensated -- and with College Football Playoff expansion and major conference realignment already in motion -- the NCAA said it wants to "reimagine" how it manages the needs of its more than 450,000 athletes.

"The goal is to make sure that we can align authority and responsibilities, get that right between campuses and the conferences and the national level," NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a brief teleconference with reporters.

That begins with examining the NCAA's very foundation, a six-article constitution that lays out the association's purpose, principles and general policies. Action on proposed changes to the constitution is expected to be taken at the NCAA's January convention.
NCAA sets timetable for dramatic overhaul of how it governs collegiate athletics

My guess is the NCAA will be done with FBS (or at least what FBS is becoming) when this is done...

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
And tenn probably going to skate too. Would love to see more havoc wrecked upon them but they're pretty much a dumpster fire. More gasoline isn't going to make it much worse.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I cry no tears for the NCAA. But the vacuum in governance concerns me.

Ask Chicago how things go when you have no police. Or San Francisco, or Baltimore, or New York, or any number of other places.

You WILL get governance. There is governance in Washington Square Park. Just not the sort anyone other than drug dealers, “solicitors”, junkies and “customers” want.

Unless we’re willing to declare college sports NFL Lite, and make professionals out of all HS seniors, we need something over the process.

Again, I say the NCAA botched a lot of stuff. But be careful what you wish for…nothing might be worse.

What I’m really saying is that you need to replace the NCAA with something better. No governance at all will be a fiasco.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I cry no tears for the NCAA. But the vacuum in governance concerns me.

Ask Chicago how things go when you have no police. Or San Francisco, or Baltimore, or New York, or any number of other places.

You WILL get governance. There is governance in Washington Square Park. Just not the sort anyone other than drug dealers, “solicitors”, junkies and “customers” want.

Unless we’re willing to declare college sports NFL Lite, and make professionals out of all HS seniors, we need something over the process.

Again, I say the NCAA botched a lot of stuff. But be careful what you wish for…nothing might be worse.

What I’m really saying is that you need to replace the NCAA with something better. No governance at all will be a fiasco.
No one that I'm aware of is suggesting no governance.

But the NCAA is a voluntary membership driven by the members, which are predominantly NOT premier FBS football/athletic programs.

If/when the NCAA appears I 100% believe the leadership at member programs will fill that void - they're not where they are because they're idiots. They understand the need for governance as that's literally their job...

My hope (and belief) is that once the rounds of expansion occur and the trivial teams are ejected from the 'Premier-FBS' the leaders of those programs will form their own governance (just as they did with the NCAA), one whose focus is entirely on the welfare and health of the real football (athletic) programs.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No one that I'm aware of is suggesting no governance.

But the NCAA is a voluntary membership driven by the members, which are predominantly NOT premier FBS football/athletic programs.

If/when the NCAA appears I 100% believe the leadership at member programs will fill that void - they're not where they are because they're idiots. They understand the need for governance as that's literally their job...

My hope (and belief) is that once the rounds of expansion occur and the trivial teams are ejected from the 'Premier-FBS' the leaders of those programs will form their own governance (just as they did with the NCAA), one whose focus is entirely on the welfare and health of the real football (athletic) programs.
I’ve seen lots of deserved dancing on the NCAA’s grave. But I haven’t seen any proposals for alternative governance.

What have you seen, and what did they suggest?

Reactions: FaninLA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’ve seen lots of deserved dancing on the NCAA’s grave. But I haven’t seen any proposals for alternative governance.

A number of head coaches, including Saban, have suggested a commissioner. That would be a good start. Then, lacking owners, the conference leadership would create a board and govern. Commissioners are trained for this type of thing. They could nail down rules and regulations that make sense for the sport.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You keep asking this question but you refuse to see that you have been living with the answer for atleast 10 years.

The reason we are dancing on the NCAA’s grave is because we want some governance for once.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
College Football as we know it may not last another 20 years...
Already it is not as I knew it. SMU got the death penalty for boosters paying players. Now that evidently is legal since several are doing it. It may not be but who will make them stop? Will anyone punish LSU, Tennessee and another few who've been busted lately? Personally I expect a slap on the wrist from the Kinder, gentler NDAA. Transfer Portal? Expanded Playoffs? Super Conferences?

But you may have meant on the field we may not recognize it and the targeting is probably not the last big change we will see.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'll dance like crazy on the NCAA's grave, or whatever represents its former governance of FBS.

I've seen no replacements proposals but do you really think the presidents of these universities believe anarchy is the best way to move forward? The NCAA isn't some form of rocket surgery or mysticism - it's simply an organization formed by the universities to govern. Something will replace it, and as long as teams like East Popcorn State and North Cupcake Community College don't have a say in how things are handled, it will be better.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would be content if a separate division were created for the P5 conferences and leave the G5 in a division above the FCS. Then we can win the first official NCAA football championship in major football.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You keep asking this question but you refuse to see that you have been living with the answer for atleast 10 years.

The reason we are dancing on the NCAA’s grave is because we want some governance for once.
Fair point on the NCAA's lack of governance. If pressed, I'd say it started with the Cam Newton and UNC-CH abdications.

I'll dance like crazy on the NCAA's grave, or whatever represents its former governance of FBS.

I've seen no replacements proposals but do you really think the presidents of these universities believe anarchy is the best way to move forward? The NCAA isn't some form of rocket surgery or mysticism - it's simply an organization formed by the universities to govern. Something will replace it, and as long as teams like East Popcorn State and North Cupcake Community College don't have a say in how things are handled, it will be better.
I agree that something will eventually replace the NCAA, and that it won't include the small schools. Or at least, it won't include them as equal partners with influence over policies and procedures equal to the schools with bigger athletic programs.

But now that the NCAA has thrown up it hands and abandoned all pretense of governance, there's nobody even trying to do that job, not even a paper tiger.

Maybe Sankey is working behind the scenes to set up that replacement. Right now, he's the only conference commissioner who could. Pac-12 has a rookie with a marketing background. Phillips of the ACC hasn't been on the job for a year yet. Bowlsby in the Big-12 is clearly emasculated, and Warren of the BIG is equally clearly out of his depth, having badly botched the response to COVID.

What I'm concerned about is the interim. Right now, we don't have any governance. 81usa92 would say that we haven't really had any for 10 years, and it's hard to argue against his point.

And no, I don't think the college presidents think anarchy is the best way to move forward. But I do think they could very well inadvertently allow it to blossom by dithering around a woke solution to the problem -- witness the BIG's COVID fiasco.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.