Georgia State coach says Abruun helped by questionable call from SEC referees

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
No it wasn't.

Again, even the NCAA head of officiating said the call was wrong. The runner was not a defenseless player, and Ricochet didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.

And did you seriously just suggest arm tackling? Did you even play the sport?
He was already held up (by his ankle) and just needed to basically be pushed to the ground. I said nothing about arm tackling...

Again, it was the speed of the moment.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
No it's because so many teams ahead of us lost that there really wasn't much place for us to move, not to mention the polls are still a little all over the place since we're still early in the year.

In a week with less shake-up we'd currently be unranked.
Again, most voters never even watched the game, they are just looking at the score and thinking it wasn't really a close game.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I wouldn't have called it targeting, however, there was forcible contact above the shoulders. Don't think the carrier has to be defenseless? I may be wrong, jmo.
You are wrong. :-D

If a player is determined under the conditions of the rule to be a defenseless player, then the only other condition required for targeting is forcible contact to the head or neck area.

If a player is not determined under the conditions of the rule to be a defenseless player, then the conditions required for targeting are either:
A) leading with the crown of the helmet, or
B) an indicator (e.g., launch, upward thrust, etc.) plus forcible contact to the head or neck area.

The play in question was ruled as if the defenseless player condition were in play and upheld by the replay booth. It should not have been and, under the conditions required for that scenario, should not have been a targeting penalty...

Reactions: gman4tide and AUDub

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I wouldn't have called it targeting, however, there was forcible contact above the shoulders. Don't think the carrier has to be defenseless? I may be wrong, jmo.
Defenseless has a hard definition by rule in the NCAA code. The two big scenarios for targeting are:

A. Lunging or leading with the crown of your helmet and making forcible contact high regardless of whether the player you hit is defenseless or not. You'll be chucked every time for this offense.

B. Making forcible contact with above the shoulders with a defenseless player.

What makes a ball-carrier defenseless? The conditions in play here would have been:

a. was the player that received the hit in the grasp of another player at the time

AND

b. was his forward progress stopped?

Condition b was not met, so the player was not defenseless.

BamaJ

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 25, 2021
Personally, I think they should have to record the conversations between referees that goes on when they look at a play in review. "No way we can call that a drop and let Auburn lose on homecoming. We are the SEC darn it!" I bet something like that has been said before. I want to hear that conversation.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It would help if they didn't toss the player out of the game. In basketball they have different levels of flagrant. Maybe too complicated for something that shouldn't be - but here we are.....

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It would help if they didn't toss the player out of the game. In basketball they have different levels of flagrant. Maybe too complicated for something that shouldn't be - but here we are.....
This has been suggested by a lot of commentators.

1st offense, 15 yarder but no ejection unless there is an egregiously dangerous hit or obvious intent to injure

2nd offense, 15 yarder and you're done

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I see, but is it the WRs or who drew up the plays?
It's the position coach's job to make sure the rotation is set, the boys know where to lineup and they run their assigned routes.

Receivers have been a mess. Guys standing on the sideline when they should be in, guys lined up wrong and, as GMac pointed out, the routes are a mess.

These are basic things that should have been ironed out in camp. If we're still having trouble 4 weeks in, then I understand the decision to make a change.

Not too broke up about it. Kiesau is a respected WR coach.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
It's the position coach's job to make sure the rotation is set, the boys know where to lineup and they run their assigned routes.

Receivers have been a mess. Guys standing on the sideline when they should be in, guys lined up wrong and, as GMac pointed out, the routes are a mess.

These are basic things that should have been ironed out in camp. If we're still having trouble 4 weeks in, then I understand the decision to make a change.

Not too broke up about it. Kiesau is a respected WR coach.
Is there a reason why Kiesau wasn't just brought in to coach the receivers from the very beginning?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Georgia State coach says Auburn Tigers were helped by questionable call from SEC referees

I'm not sure what has to happen, but it seems there have been more egregiously blown calls by SEC officials this year than ever before and we're barely 1/3 of the way into the season. What is the SEC doing to address this?
For those of you that watch more football than me, is this something that could be an issue across all of D1, or is it just SEC officiating that's this bad?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those of you that watch more football than me, is this something that could be an issue across all of D1, or is it just SEC officiating that's this bad?
B1G officials are just as bad. I know that you guys think that SEC officials are the worst, PAC fans believe that their officials are the worst (they are probably right).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding officials — Given the speed and force of today’s game, it’s a tough job. I understand missing a call in real time. What I don’t understand is so many replays clearly missed. Examples are virtually endless, but there does seem to be a concentration in JHS.

Regarding the barn firing a position coach four games into the season: I don’t know enough to know if it’s warranted or not. I do know that the timing is suspicious.

You lose a game at PSU. The next week, for over 59 minutes, you were outplayed by a (presumably) hopelessly overmatched Georgia State team.

You yank your 5-star “Auburn man” legacy for a guy who couldn’t sniff playing time for a 5-5 LSU team, and get a bad call to pull an extremely fortunate victory from the jaws of defeat. And you think firing the WR coach, 4 games into the season, will fix all that?

At the very best, it’s a bad look.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Regarding officials — Given the speed and force of today’s game, it’s a tough job. I understand missing a call in real time. What I don’t understand is so many replays clearly missed. Examples are virtually endless, but there does seem to be a concentration in JHS.
This is my biggest issue. Clearly the speed of the game puts these guys at a huge disadvantage. How many times this year have we seen terrible “spots” on something as relatively simple as where the ball carrier went down? The runner has blown past them and the official is 10-15 yards behind the play. If your struggling get “the spot” correct, God help you on holding, DPI, and targeting.

And review? I thought review was intended to get insure as much as humanly possible you get the call right? That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case. Look at the review of USM’s first touchdown. They clearly were looking to see if the ball hit the pylon/broke the plane. Well it did. Too bad the Southern Miss player had lost possession of the ball PRIOR to the ball hitting the pylon.

The most infuriating thing for me is that fact that, after some horrendous calls by SEC crews, Sankey and the Director of Officiating have remained mute except for a periodic tweet or press release saying “my bad”. The SEC in the premier conference in college football. When your personnel screw up as bad as they have, you come out and say as much. Man up, admit it, hold people responsible, and tell fans what is the plan to do to get it right.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

Regarding the barn firing a position coach four games into the season: I don’t know enough to know if it’s warranted or not. I do know that the timing is suspicious.

You lose a game at PSU. The next week, for over 59 minutes, you were outplayed by a (presumably) hopelessly overmatched Georgia State team.

You yank your 5-star “Auburn man” legacy for a guy who couldn’t sniff playing time for a 5-5 LSU team, and get a bad call to pull an extremely fortunate victory from the jaws of defeat. And you think firing the WR coach, 4 games into the season, will fix all that?

At the very best, it’s a bad look.
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. If the WR coach is such a key figure in the whole offense why in the world was he hired? Who did the evaluation before he was offered the job?
That's on the head coach.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. If the WR coach is such a key figure in the whole offense why in the world was he hired? Who did the evaluation before he was offered the job?
That's on the head coach.
My thought is Williams was hired for the same reason Cadillac Williams was retained and Bobo, Will Friend and Derek Mason were added to the staff: familiar with the SEC and Auburn’s traditional recruiting footprint. That initial staff was probably put together with recruiting first and coaching second.
The poor play by receivers in the last couple of games made Cornelius expendable with Harsin’s former OC sitting on the sidelines as an analyst.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
My thought is Williams was hired for the same reason Cadillac Williams was retained and Bobo, Will Friend and Derek Mason were added to the staff: familiar with the SEC and Auburn’s traditional recruiting footprint. That initial staff was probably put together with recruiting first and coaching second.
The poor play by receivers in the last couple of games made Cornelius expendable with Harsin’s former OC sitting on the sidelines as an analyst.
Really, this is about as succinctly as it could have been put.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.