NCAA Portal Talk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
-- Asked about what a successful spring game looks like, Saban said spring ball is a time to develop your team. “Obviously we’re going to have several guys that aren’t going to play in the spring game, which could have a huge impact on what kind of team we have next year,” he said. The spring game also gives a chance to evaluate players in a game-like situation. “This is just a part of the process of what we’re going through to develop our team,” he said, and that might contribute to schematic or personnel changes over the summer.

Reactions: Con

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
-- Asked about what a successful spring game looks like, Saban said spring ball is a time to develop your team. “Obviously we’re going to have several guys that aren’t going to play in the spring game, which could have a huge impact on what kind of team we have next year,” he said. The spring game also gives a chance to evaluate players in a game-like situation. “This is just a part of the process of what we’re going through to develop our team,” he said, and that might contribute to schematic or personnel changes over the summer.
I don't think he was referring to Harrell if that was your point but our injured guys not playing in the game and possibly Steen IMO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Based on what we saw yesterday. Lot of guys stepped up. They look improved. So, question mark going into the summer is the OL. We get Steen, and we get Dalcourt back, and etc. I expect the unit to improve, but next year will be an issue and we're likely to dip into Transfer portal again for OL candidate.

Our WRs dropped lot of passes yesterday, and that was something that continued all spring. Other than that, I think we'll be okay. They got all summer and fall to work on chemistry and etc.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Based on what we saw yesterday. Lot of guys stepped up. They look improved. So, question mark going into the summer is the OL. We get Steen, and we get Dalcourt back, and etc. I expect the unit to improve, but next year will be an issue and we're likely to dip into Transfer portal again for OL candidate.

Our WRs dropped lot of passes yesterday, and that was something that continued all spring. Other than that, I think we'll be okay. They got all summer and fall to work on chemistry and etc.
We have 3 freshmen receivers coming in for fall camp . Preston, Bond and Prentice. hard for them to come up to speed, but I imagine if they are serious, they will be on campus this summer working with Bryce and Jalen

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We have 3 freshmen receivers coming in for fall camp . Preston, Bond and Prentice. hard for them to come up to speed, but I imagine if they are serious, they will be on campus this summer working with Bryce and Jalen
I agree.. but Developing the depth chart is a priority this fall, and I think we'll see some of those guys getting some shot in playing time this fall to get their feet wet.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Biggest thing is we get Ekiyor back on OL - he's way better than George who was filling that role this spring.

I'm sure Dalcourt and McLaughlin will continue to compete, but I really, really hope that after last season Mclaughlin holds him off as dalcourt was a liability last year. I know lots of folks look at PFF, and they had dalcourt with a better pass-pro grade but they attributed only 2 sacks to him last year, where rolltide.com (our staff, who knows who is supposed to block who on any given play) assigned him 5.5 sacks, more than any other player on the OL even though he only played in 9 games. At half a sack a game, if he plays all season he probably gives up 8 sacks, especially since he didn't play against some of the better front 7s we played against. McLaughlin had ZERO, even though it was a smaller sample size to be fair.

For those interested, Owens had 5 (all from playing OT I think), Neal 2, Ekiyor 1.5 and Cohen only 1.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Biggest thing is we get Ekiyor back on OL - he's way better than George who was filling that role this spring.

I'm sure Dalcourt and McLaughlin will continue to compete, but I really, really hope that after last season Mclaughlin holds him off as dalcourt was a liability last year. I know lots of folks look at PFF, and they had dalcourt with a better pass-pro grade but they attributed only 2 sacks to him last year, where rolltide.com (our staff, who knows who is supposed to block who on any given play) assigned him 5.5 sacks, more than any other player on the OL even though he only played in 9 games. At half a sack a game, if he plays all season he probably gives up 8 sacks, especially since he didn't play against some of the better front 7s we played against. McLaughlin had ZERO, even though it was a smaller sample size to be fair.

For those interested, Owens had 5 (all from playing OT I think), Neal 2, Ekiyor 1.5 and Cohen only 1.
PFF is a good resource but their OL grades are sometimes suspect. Same with their DB grades at times. Mostly because like you said they don't always know who is blocking/covering who.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.