CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Exactly what system are you saying failed? I'm talking about every system, and there are many of them which still exist and will continue to exist so I'm not sure how you can claim failure on their part.

I don't have to overplay corruption. You can't just be a little corrupted. You are corrupted or you're not, and it's corrupted. I don't need more information. You don't need more than proof of one bribe from a politician to know he's corrupted, you can't overplay it. It's proof enough in and of itself. It exists, we know that and that's all I need to know. The only way I'm overplaying it, is if it turns out to not actually exist in the criteria. I have no reason to believe that they're lying about it though, hence it's corrupted and that's that.
The polling system. Sure it will still exist and it will be meaningless as it has since 1998, with the exception of 2003 which no one cares about outside of southern California.

The polling system was and is a failure of a system and an absurd way to crown a championship. A sport like football deciding its champion by a vote? How absurd is this?

And yes, you're overplaying it. Corruption has always been a part of college football. As I said before, just research the bowl games.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The polling system. Sure it will still exist and it will be meaningless as it has since 1998, with the exception of 2003 which no one cares about outside of southern California.
The polling system was a major input into the BCS calculations though.

The polls used to be very unfair back when most of the sports writers came from the midwest, but in the BCS era I think they've been pretty good. In many cases, they seemed more accurate than the computers since the many of the computer algorithms have really screwed up strength of schedule calculations.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
On the conference championship angle... If its used to eliminate a team like Stanford last year in favor of an Oregon, I don't see the issue with it. Oregon played a far tougher schedule, whipped Stanford head to head, and own the Pac 12. Oregon was 11-2, while Stanford was 11-1. I think Oregon is the better team, by virtue of the SOS, head-to-head, and winning the conference.

I don't think you're going to see a 10-2 Wisconsin get in over a team like Alabama last year, just because they win the Big Ten.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Taking the conference championship requirement out of the equation does nothing to help. The committee will have the ability to justify why another SEC team shouldn't be allowed to play. I think the only way you could have that happen is if the two teams didn't meet in the regular season. So maybe 2 one loss teams, one of which didn't get to play in the SECG because they lost head to head in the season to whoever represented their division. This entire thing is to keep last year or two SEC teams from ever meeting in the championship game again. I think we would have to be at 8 teams for thay to ever happen.
I made the point earlier in the thread that the conference champ bias would have been in there, even if it weren't made explicit...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The polling system was and is a failure of a system and an absurd way to crown a championship. A sport like football deciding its champion by a vote? How absurd is this?
The polls played an integral part of the selection process since 1998. I would argue that by not having sole control over the outcome, they actually became more objective as well.

Don't write their obituary just yet though. Depending on how ridiculous the committee is, we might not be so quick to forget the polls.
And yes, you're overplaying it. Corruption has always been a part of college football. As I said before, just research the bowl games.
The bowl games being corrupted has no real bearing on choosing the national champions. Corruption exists, like all sports, but we're talking about crowing a national champion. I'm not overplaying it, because once again it's the first time in history that the bias has been stated. It's the first time that they've ever acknowledged the corruption, which means it surely reaches down into the core of the process. How can I overplay that? The BCS as has been alluded to, was fairly unbiased. This can't be, this won't be. This will likely make us long for the screwed up polls. At best, this will be a poll with the criteria corrupted. AT BEST! What is a committee if not a poll? Yes, they'll still play games. Much like they've done for 140 years, but the committee will be calling the shots...

It's funny how you bash the polls, yet ask for calm regarding a process that at best is a small poll with biased criteria. How can it be both ways? It's a committee, they already said that. It has biased criteria. They already said that. So, it's a biased poll. That conclusion is a simple logical reaction to what we've been told. I haven't gone off the deep end on how bad it could be, because if you've watched the NCAA take a #3 ranked team and move them down to a #8 overall seed, or left out a top 25 team entirely (in a field of 64) you know the types of things a committee can do...

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The idea of a playoff is not so bad, it's the execution. The NCAA is trying to come up with a playoff system for an "overly bloated" FBS. There is a reason we have six classifications in high school sports. There's a reason boxing has what...15 or so different weight classifications. There are more FBS teams than FCS teams, and IIRC, the FCS started with 4 teams in the late 70's. Now what is it? 20? In an attempt too appease everybody the "playoffs" will inevitably expand.

Now you have teams with 100k fans and 100 million dollar budgets in the same classification with schools 1/10 their size.The MWC (yes,including Boise St.), WAC, Mid American, CUSA, Sunbelt, about 3/4 of the Big East, and two or more teams in every conference should go down a notch and be playing for a different trophy, but they're not. The Boise States of the world are never going to have the fanbase or budget of an Alabama or Texas so they will whine and cry about things being "unfair. How do you think they're going attempt too make it "fair"? By handicapping the Bama's of the world.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The polls played an integral part of the selection process since 1998. I would argue that by not having sole control over the outcome, they actually became more objective as well.

Don't write their obituary just yet though. Depending on how ridiculous the committee is, we might not be so quick to forget the polls.

The bowl games being corrupted has no real bearing on choosing the national champions. Corruption exists, like all sports, but we're talking about crowing a national champion. I'm not overplaying it, because once again it's the first time in history that the bias has been stated. It's the first time that they've ever acknowledged the corruption, which means it surely reaches down into the core of the process. How can I overplay that? The BCS as has been alluded to, was fairly unbiased. This can't be, this won't be. This will likely make us long for the screwed up polls. At best, this will be a poll with the criteria corrupted. AT BEST! What is a committee if not a poll? Yes, they'll still play games. Much like they've done for 140 years, but the committee will be calling the shots...

It's funny how you bash the polls, yet ask for calm regarding a process that at best is a small poll with biased criteria. How can it be both ways? It's a committee, they already said that. It has biased criteria. They already said that. So, it's a biased poll. That conclusion is a simple logical reaction to what we've been told. I haven't gone off the deep end on how bad it could be, because if you've watched the NCAA take a #3 ranked team and move them down to a #8 overall seed, or left out a top 25 team entirely (in a field of 64) you know the types of things a committee can do...
Because we still don't know the criteria they are using. It's that simple. We can speculate on what they've said in these press conferences. They've given us generalities. But we don't know for certain. And as I said earlier, the committee aspect is the single aspect that can sink this whole process.

My disdain for the polls is because of their documented history. This committee hasn't yet done anything. I may hate them just as bad before its over with.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
So with the corruption and conference championship angle, the fact that a team wins their conference more than likely means they played an extra game against a team good enough to be ranked. The big 12 will probably have a championship game soon and the ucla getting in last year was a rare exception. So getting a little bump for playing an extra game against a good team should be acceptable. Didn't we say it was an advantage when the sec was one of 3 conferences to have a championship game because it was another chance to prove how good we were? So now you're saying it should be ignored? And like everyone else has said, we need to wait and see what kind of edge (if any) will be given to conference champs. Just because they say at the beginning that they want it to play a role doesn't mean it will. At the beginning they said the playoff would have campus sites and maybe a plus one, neither happened.

And at this point there is absolutely nothing that we can do to change this, so what's wrong with talking about how the playoff will help or hurt SEC teams?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Because we still don't know the criteria they are using. It's that simple. We can speculate on what they've said in these press conferences. They've given us generalities. But we don't know for certain. And as I said earlier, the committee aspect is the single aspect that can sink this whole process.

My disdain for the polls is because of their documented history. This committee hasn't yet done anything. I may hate them just as bad before its over with.
If they don't use the conference championship criteria at all, I'll take back a lot of what I said. If in addition to that, the committee operates within the confines of the existing BCS calculations I will take back most of what I said and be very happy to do so.

I don't like the polls on general principle, but last year they proved an ability to be objective that was commendable. It's interesting that what might actually be a shining moment for the polls, proof that they overcame their biased past also became the instant that the powers decided to try to make them irrelevant.

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I made the point earlier in the thread that the conference champ bias would have been in there, even if it weren't made explicit...
Absolutely Earle, anyone who doesn't believe that isn't paying attention. My biggest concern is that Slive went along with something that is bad for the SEC again.

Again I could be wrong, but I doubt we ever see 2 SEC teams in this playoff system until it is expanded to 8 teams.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If they don't use the conference championship criteria at all, I'll take back a lot of what I said. If in addition to that, the committee operates within the confines of the existing BCS calculations I will take back most of what I said and be very happy to do so.

I don't like the polls on general principle, but last year they proved an ability to be objective that was commendable. It's interesting that what might actually be a shining moment for the polls, proof that they overcame their biased past also became the instant that the powers decided to try to make them irrelevant.
That's because they went against a majority of the powers that be... as you've said earlier.

Loudmouth Tim Brando said this afternoon on Finebaum, that without Alabama playing LSU in the NC game last year, none of this happens.

And that is 100% true. Amazing how something could be impossible a year and a half ago, and then absolutely rushed into place in a matter of months a year later. Bill Hancock said as much after Auburn beat Oregon last year. He stated that there was no real desire for any sort of playoff. Then, 5 months after Alabama/LSU, BAM. Here we are.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Loudmouth Tim Brando said this afternoon on Finebaum, that without Alabama playing LSU in the NC game last year, none of this happens. And that is 100% true.
Good point. I don't think the rematch was as much of a catalyst as it was being a rematch that continued the SEC streak. The same people that were in favor of a Ohio State - Michigan rematch are the same ones pushing for reform this year.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm against any playoff system with a priority that is anything less than finding the best four teams in college football and seeding them 1-4.

I don't care if the four teams are all from the SEC, the Big 12, the Big East, or the Ohio Valley Conference.

Determine, based on performance against their strength of schedule, who the four best teams are and let them slug it out.

Anything else is going to hurt the college game in my opinion and I think it will hurt the SEC and the Big 12 worse than any other conferences because we're the ones with the better teams that are going to be sitting home while 9-3 Big Ten Conference Champ Michigan battles undefeated Alabama in the four versus one game while 12-1 Florida, who lost to Bama in the SEC Title game sits home.

It will happen believe me.

Then Michigan pulls off an upset and plays Pac Ten Conference Champ three seed 10-2 Oregon, who upset number two seed and undefeated Oklahoma ..........for the National Championship.

How boring. Just like the NFL. Forget your whole body of work, just get in the playoff and you have a chance to be crowned national champ if your totally average football team can just pull off an upset or two.

I personally despise this system. I thought the BCS had it right.

As far as the polls....well...quite simply...they have given more controversy for football fans to talk about, argue about, and discuss for many many years.

They kind of separated college from the pros, and, in my opinion, even with their flaws, they helped make the game the great game it is...or soon to be "once was"..

I have tried to be objective in my thoughts but I see absolutely nothing at all positive about this playoff system.

It stinks, it's a vendetta against the SEC, and it wasn't created to determine a true national champion, it was created to make sure inferior football teams can still make millions for their prospective schools.

sip

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya..If they can't beat the SEC on the football field..They will using politics..I just hope it doesn't kill college football..Watered down national champions will eventually deteriorate college football..
I'm against any playoff system with a priority that is anything less than finding the best four teams in college football and seeding them 1-4.

I don't care if the four teams are all from the SEC, the Big 12, the Big East, or the Ohio Valley Conference.

Determine, based on performance against their strength of schedule, who the four best teams are and let them slug it out.

Anything else is going to hurt the college game in my opinion and I think it will hurt the SEC and the Big 12 worse than any other conferences because we're the ones with the better teams that are going to be sitting home while 9-3 Big Ten Conference Champ Michigan battles undefeated Alabama in the four versus one game while 12-1 Florida, who lost to Bama in the SEC Title game sits home.

It will happen believe me.

Then Michigan pulls off an upset and plays Pac Ten Conference Champ three seed 10-2 Oregon, who upset number two seed and undefeated Oklahoma ..........for the National Championship.

How boring. Just like the NFL. Forget your whole body of work, just get in the playoff and you have a chance to be crowned national champ if your totally average football team can just pull off an upset or two.

I personally despise this system. I thought the BCS had it right.

As far as the polls....well...quite simply...they have given more controversy for football fans to talk about, argue about, and discuss for many many years.

They kind of separated college from the pros, and, in my opinion, even with their flaws, they helped make the game the great game it is...or soon to be "once was"..

I have tried to be objective in my thoughts but I see absolutely nothing at all positive about this playoff system.

It stinks, it's a vendetta against the SEC, and it wasn't created to determine a true national champion, it was created to make sure inferior football teams can still make millions for their prospective schools.

sip

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

sip
This is THE reason this is happening now. As said earlier, two years ago we didn't need a playoff.

The Alabam vs LSU was too much of a reality check for the rest of college football.
They were already suffering SEC fatigue syndrome but TWO SEC teams in the BCSCG was just too much too handle, even though most begrudgingly acknowledged that the two best teams played in the game which is what the BCS was all about.(supposedly)

The only reason this is being done now is to keep two SEC teams from playing in a championship game. Period.
With a 4 team "playoff", there will NEVER be two teams from the SEC play each other in a championship game again. EVER. I guarantee it.

IF there are ever two teams from the SEC that get into the 4 team "playoff" they will be paired together to insure one from the SEC loses.

I have accepted the change that is going to happen. I didn't say I like it, but it is going to happen.

For a "committee" to work, I think it needs to be at least 30-40 members and it has to be completely open and transparent:rolleyes::biggrin:. I think the traditional polls still need to play a part somehow.

There is just no way to get rid of all biased opinions regardless of the format.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have zero doubt our recent victory was the straw that broke the camel's back, but lots of fans and media folks have been clamoring for a playoff for years.
You're right. I don't think last year had much to do with the fans' point of view or the media. Their opinion all along has been in favor of a playoff. It was the ADs and presidents that changed their way of thinking after last year. Had OK State been chosen over Alabama, they remain steadfastly opposed to a playoff.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I agree with Sip. I do want to point out one thing that gives us a little bit of encouragement. We have been a constant presence near the top, with small periods of mediocrity. We've overcome the attempts to level the playing field and have the ability to thrive in any future system. This is an obvious attempt to combat SEC fatigue, but Bama will keep winning!! RTR!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.