News Article: What's causing Baltimore's population loss?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-baltimore-census-20180330-story.html

With the U.S. Census Bureau reporting yet another year of population loss for the city, it doesn’t take an investigator to determine the causes.

The city’s scary record of 343 homicides in 2017 affirms the city’s well-known reputation as a dangerous place to live. Even if 2018 has fewer homicides, it doesn’t take a fortune teller to predict that this year’s homicide rate will be high. Until the city substantially reduces its homicide and other crimes rates, people will continue to view the city as dangerous and be reluctant to stay or move here.

The city’s outrageous property tax of $2.248 per $100 of a property’s assessed value is more than double of its surrounding jurisdictions: Baltimore County, $1.10, and Anne Arundel 90.7 cents. The city’s burdensome property tax on homeowners explains why the city has more renters than homeowners. The city’s high income tax is 3.2 percent, the maximum allowed by law. Baltimore County’s is 2.83 and Anna Arundel’s is 2.56. The city’s tax message is clear: Move here and pay higher taxes. People have figured out how to avoid the city’s taxes and still enjoy the city. They live in surrounding counties and take reasonably priced ridesharing services into the city.
Hmmm.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hmmmmm.....let’s see.....unsafe streets, substandard public schools, high taxes, questionable ability to sustain property values, a city government more interested in pandering than fixing....other than that, I can’t think of any reason at all.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I had a colleague, an African-American gentleman who took his PhD at the University of Maryland, who was from inner-city Baltimore originally.
He hated what was happening to his home town. It was just too dangerous to live in his old neighborhood any more.
I'd say that would be a significant reason for emigration.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What's the main industry in Baltimore? I'm guessing that most jobs are from Retail, Medical and Government...... there are no jobs for most taxpayers..... When the jobs leave, people leave.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
What's the main industry in Baltimore? I'm guessing that most jobs are from Retail, Medical and Government...... there are no jobs for most taxpayers..... When the jobs leave, people leave.
I think they have a decent shipping industry. They are sort of boxed in between Norfolk and NY so that doesn't help but they have a pretty big harbor.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Exactly, so why pass it? Still, they manage to pull in some business. I had a bud who worked for CMA CGM and talked about the volume of shipping in and out of Baltimore.
we only move reefer cargo and we primarily use norfolk or newark for our east coast exports. we have options to use reefer service through philly but it's never made sense for us. i don't think baltimore does much in the way of reefer containers, at least our line reps never talk about it with us. wiki says they do a lot of bulk cargo and roll on/roll off cargo

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
we only move reefer cargo and we primarily use norfolk or newark for our east coast exports. we have options to use reefer service through philly but it's never made sense for us. i don't think baltimore does much in the way of reefer containers, at least our line reps never talk about it with us. wiki says they do a lot of bulk cargo and roll on/roll off cargo
Reefer Madness is strong with this one. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, but you have to go almost all the way down to Norfolk to get out of the Chesapeake Bay.
Every summer, we stay at a friend's beach house which is located a few hundred yards from the park at the point dividing the Atlantic from the Bay. I honestly have no way of weighing relative amounts of traffic, but there's continual traffic up and down bay there. Frequently there are ships meeting coming and going in front of the house...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Hmmmmm.....let’s see.....unsafe streets, substandard public schools, high taxes, questionable ability to sustain property values, a city government more interested in pandering than fixing....other than that, I can’t think of any reason at all.
You could take Baltimore out of that article and put Shreveport, La and it would fit like a glove. When crime and an incompetent local government is what the city becomes known for, you get people leaving in droves. Then we have a mayor who gets behind every microphone she can and chastises "the people" for not supporting the city. LOL! Yet when "the people" tell her why they don't support the city it falls on deaf ears.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I had a colleague, an African-American gentleman who took his PhD at the University of Maryland, who was from inner-city Baltimore originally.
He hated what was happening to his home town. It was just too dangerous to live in his old neighborhood any more.
I'd say that would be a significant reason for emigration.
So what does he think needs to be done?

Latest threads