2022 elections thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Palin goes down in AK special election. Alaska is using a new ranked choice system

“In the general election, which is slated for November, the state will also use ranked choice voting, where the candidate to receive more than 50 percent of the vote prevails in the election.

But if no one gets more than half of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes gets knocked out and any voters who chose that eliminated candidate as their first pick has their second choice votes applied to the applicable candidates. The process continues until one candidate receives more than half of the votes.”

The first Democrat elected to this position in 50 years

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
In reference to the AK Special Election

1662037087556.png

Critics online pointed out that while 60 percent of voters chose a Republican, they didn’t choose the same candidate, and so many were worried about Palin’s potential election that they opted for a Democrat instead.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Peltola finished fourth in the primary. (Santa Claus was sixth). A Democrat running as an Independent was third but dropped out before the general election.

Peltola had a plurality in the runoff and Palin was second. But Palin didn't have enough second place votes from the third place guy to win.

Ranked choice will select someone a majority either support or can at least live with. If Minnesota had ranked choice and a moderate Republican unseated Omar, think the fake Ranger would complain?

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Peltola finished fourth in the primary. (Santa Claus was sixth). A Democrat running as an Independent was third but dropped out before the general election.

Peltola had a plurality in the runoff and Palin was second. But Palin didn't have enough second place votes from the third place guy to win.

Ranked choice will select someone a majority either support or can at least live with. If Minnesota had ranked choice and a moderate Republican unseated Omar, think the fake Ranger would complain?
Except for the fact that there aren't any "moderate" Republicans. Take one look at Omar's November GOP opponent's web site, and I see Omar being portrayed as a dangerous terrorist. Grey skies, scary scary hijab.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
I hope last night's special election results in Alaska is the continuation of a trend: Republicans showing up and showing responsibility.

It is obvious that there were sizable numbers of Republicans who pulled the lever for Biden because they they wanted Trump gone. What they need to start doing is running candidates who love their country, who want to work with those across the aisle to fix problems in this country, who aren't in 24/7 anger mode.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Except for the fact that there aren't any "moderate" Republicans. Take one look at Omar's November GOP opponent's web site, and I see Omar being portrayed as a dangerous terrorist. Grey skies, scary scary hijab.
But if Minnesota used the Alaska system, a moderate could get into the top four of the jungle primary and then have a good shot in November.

Peltola and Palin will be running again for a full term in November. The other two are a Libertarian and Nick Begich. Begich finished third Tuesday. He is a Republican and the son of the Congressman who served as a Democrat and died in a plane crash in 1972.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
But if Minnesota used the Alaska system, a moderate could get into the top four of the jungle primary and then have a good shot in November.

Peltola and Palin will be running again for a full term in November. The other two are a Libertarian and Nick Begich. Begich finished third Tuesday. He is a Republican and the son of the Congressman who served as a Democrat and died in a plane crash in 1972.
There are plenty of places in America where decent Republicans, true conservatives, can win.

Unfortunately, the MAGA areas are almost to be written off. That mindset has always been there. Trump just gave them a voice.

Reactions: TexasBama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Reactions: Tug Tide

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

“There are a lot of election deniers on the ballot. Out of 540 total Republican nominees running for office, we found 199 who FULLY DENIED the legitimacy of the 2020 election. These candidates either clearly stated that the election was stolen from Trump or took legal action to overturn the results, such as voting not to certify election results or joining lawsuits that sought to overturn the election.”

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Feeling lonely? Want emails, text messages and letters from people who care about you? Donate to a politician using your real email, address and phone number.

I'm getting almost 100 a day. I feel loved. I messed up. (n)(n):eek:

Reactions: AWRTR

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Feeling lonely? Want emails, text messages and letters from people who care about you? Donate to a politician using your real email, address and phone number.

I'm getting almost 100 a day. I feel loved. I messed up. (n)(n):eek:
Someone gave a fake phone number to a politician. The joke was on me because the fake phone number was mine. I had to block the number. It was wild.

• Haha
Reactions: seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've never in my life gotten called by the pollsters.

I got called last week.

I hung up.

I'd been waiting all my life to do that.

BTW - it's the same thing here every two years.

Democrats bomb my phone.
Republicans bomb my emails.

Then I go in and (usually) leave the main race blank and - if I vote at all - it's only local. (I DID vote for Biden in 2020 simply to make sure he ran up the numbers in the popular vote. I know that's not how it's done, but it.....well, I'm sorry, I THOUGHT it would result in more pressure on Trump to do the right thing.

I'm wrong once in awhile, too).

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I got called last week.

I hung up.

Democrats bomb my phone.

Then I go in and (usually) leave the main race blank and - if I vote at all - it's only local. (I DID vote for Biden in 2020 simply to make sure he ran up the numbers in the popular vote. I know that's not how it's done, but it.....well, I'm sorry, I THOUGHT it would result in more pressure on Trump to do the right thing.

the few times i have been called on any surveys (it’s been a long time) i found it pretty easy to go into pedantic digressions about the survey questions that outlast the surveyor’s patience

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I got called last week.

I hung up.

Democrats bomb my phone.

I get text messages. I have no idea how I got on their radar.

Reactions: seebell

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Btw - this year the text messages think I’m a black voter…….not that there’s anything wrong with that but I’m not going all Rachel Dozeal here, either…..
I get those as well. They even think I am female. I texted "stop" a couple times but they keep coming but not too often.

I got a couple texts from a Democrat in Wisconsin asking for support.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.