News Article: Alabama Hires Nate Oats From Buffalo

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I love all things OSU just as you guys love all things Alabama. But if I'm being honest, I would rather our BB team never make another tournament than have the AD siphon money from the football program to help them get there. For me, in sports, there is only football. Everything else is just a distraction to pass time until football is back.
I am almost like this now but know that 'Bama is probably, historically, the #2 or #3 basketball team in the SEC after UKY. We've done it with few resources so we should be able to do it with many. Football should only enhance what we're able to do (but shouldn't fund anything hoops-only). We have (or will have) first-rate facilities across most sports. There's no reason for us to not at least make the tourney in hoops.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
(1) good effort, (2) sound fundamentals, and (3) a trip to the NCAA tourney more years than not. For the current investment, I think that’s pretty reasonable to expect. IMO, the part about reclaiming #2 in the conference is not going to happen. Different world in the SEC than when we enjoyed that position.
That's pretty much dead on. I just want to see us make the tourney more than not like you said. And win more than we lose and if we don't make the tourney it should be because we're on the bubble. None of this "well next year we will be better" yet we see the same results over and over. Why someone would want to keep CAJ and have the same result as this year is beyond me. If he had stayed we would have been lucky to field a team the way everyone was wanting to transfer out. If that's not proof that they have quit on him then I don't know what to say

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
With all due respect to Tide-HSV, we 've already siphoned millions from football to pay for a baseball stadium and football has always offset the cost of other non revenue sports. Athletics also gives the educational side around 10 million a year.

Some of the revenue from the SEC network is from basketball. I would guess 20% or so of the 50 million dollar distribution so in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 million a year. Pair that with ticket sales and additional luxury box revenue and you have probably another 10 to 12 million. Sell the naming rights for the arena another 1 million a year. Have additional events like concerts and conventions, another 1 million a year. A 30 year bond would be roughly 10 million a year. Using these numbers and the operating cost of 10 million a year , you still have enough to support a new arena financially. The problem is there are more bonds that are already on the books such as the aforementioned baseball stadium and other non revenue sports that don't come close to paying for themselves . These are a major drain on the budget which leaves little wiggle room for new facilities. Still a new arena could bring a new enthusiasm to fans and put us back where we belong, as the states top basketball program.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree. I honestly think we'll see a Sweet Sixteen appearance in year 3 or 4.
I hope CNO hasn't read some of these comments. I think we are underselling the potential he brings in year 1.

Here's what I mean. We had enough talent this year to win 22+ games. I've never seen a capable team implode the way we did. In the last game against Auburn we were leading in the second half by 10+ points. So there's already talent to work with. I do think re-recruiting Kira Lewis Jr. is pretty important (if he's willing to do the work CNO expects), but otherwise I think we can be alot better than some think even next year.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
A 30 year bond would be roughly 10 million a year. Using these numbers and the operating cost of 10 million a year , you still have enough to support a new arena financially. The problem is there are more bonds that are already on the books such as the aforementioned baseball stadium and other non revenue sports that don't come close to paying for themselves . These are a major drain on the budget which leaves little wiggle room for new facilities. Still a new arena could bring a new enthusiasm to fans and put us back where we belong, as the states top basketball program.
Byrne is not doing anything for upgrades without having the project funded before construction begins. He has said the athletic department is not accumulating any more debt.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I love all things OSU just as you guys love all things Alabama. But if I'm being honest, I would rather our BB team never make another tournament than have the AD siphon money from the football program to help them get there. For me, in sports, there is only football. Everything else is just a distraction to pass time until football is back.
Athletic department finances has been a hobby of mine for a while (far from an expert but I do occasionally look up the numbers). You'll see me ranting occasionally about UAB or South Alabama's wastefulness, or when I called Texas A&M a sleeping giant (they went on to eclipse Alabama in revenue, though that was due to donations).

There's a little more nuance than just take money from football to pay for basketball. First off, everyone takes money from football really. They have a well funded tennis and golf program, where does that money come from? It sure isn't all from golf and tennis boosters. They fly some of the women around first class, now that's Title IX requirements, but still. And, as I understand it the surplus Alabama athletics generally has goes back to the university. So, instead of going into some sort of a piggy bank, it makes it back into the university system. I also pointed out a while ago that investments in basketball facilities should be Title IX neutral, so not quite as effective a money burn as flying females around first class, but a more useful investment nevertheless.

I firmly believe money can both be spent more wisely, and that if that's done the revenue can and will actually be a profitable investment. People pointed out the investment in baseball, that's not even a revenue sport. Basketball and football are! So Alabama spending on baseball isn't necessarily the best investment, but on basketball? Where it is generally profitable, with much more room for profit? That makes sense.

It isn't that no money has been spent. It's that it's been poorly applied with short term goals. I pointed out the 24 million spent on Coleman. That, as per usual lacked vision. Now may be people were like if you don't upgrade Coleman I'll stay at home. Fine, but that's the type of counterproductive support Alabama basketball doesn't need. The better long term move there was clear. Either build a new arena instead, or perhaps you put that 24 million dollars aside to do something bigger at a later date. But, the 24 million is emblematic of the type of support the program gets. Here's some money, go spend it. Problem is it wasn't enough to do anything meaningful, but it was enough to be a big waste.

The pressure seems to exceed the funds, it's like giving someone a thousand bucks to buy a car and say here we need a good reliable car, go get one, and then a short while later after it is broken down repeating the process, over and over, yet wondering why you are spending all this money and still don't have a reliable car. May be you should just put more into it from the start and actually buy a reliable car.

Same thing with the hiring and firing process. They're paying top 20 money to each coach, but when it's all said and done they're paying top ten money. It's like they think a coach is going to fix all the stuff they don't want to do. Problem is if you are going to go cheap, you might as well actually save money. I can't recall the specifics of the Gottfried departure, but I'm sure that wasn't cheap either. Once you factor in the Grant buyout Alabama under Avery was paying near top 10 money, and once you factor in Avery's 5.5 million (I wonder where that money magically came from?) Alabama will once again be shelling out top ten money. But what have those tens of millions added up to?

I'm not saying spend a lot more on basketball. I'm saying make the use of the money more focused and with better long term plans. I've outlined tens of millions spend over the past several years that didn't really produce anything that meaningful. I'm not saying take more money from football, I'm saying come up with a better plan (which I understand would take some level of cooperation from boosters). I'd think people spending the money could be enlightened to the point that they understand it's better to spend 100 million and make a big difference than to spend 50 million and basically flush it.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That's not how I feel at all. Granted, I have been depressed over our basketball program for over a decade now. So I haven't been passionate about it. I followed Alabama football very closely even during the darkest years from 1997-2006, so in that regard, I can't deny I'm more passionate over football than basketball. Still, I have wanted to be passionate about basketball. I have wanted us to be where Auburn is right now so badly. If I were a millionaire, I'd be making my donations specifically for basketball. Football has more than enough. The Bryant-Denny upgrades/changes are ridiculous, IMO, at this stage. Still, I get why they are doing it. Football is THE cash generator, and that has to be protected.

I don't want to see football suffer to help the other sports, but it doesn't have to, either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Greg Byrne wants to win BIG in basketball at Alabama. But I also think he understands the culture and knew he'd have to hire the right "up and comer" to make that happen. I think he found exactly what he's looking for in CNO. And, I don't think CNO believes basketball can't rise to national prominence at Alabama and even get into the conversation of NCs. This is exactly the type of coach that we could get right now that one day might could make that happen!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Folks that went to the REC scrimmage the other day said Oats is very impressive. Said he made statements that basically went like “ We have a lot of talent on this team that lost their confidence”, and “ winners are made in June, July, and August in the gym, and we are going to be in the gym every day”.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Listened to the show, and that pretty much sums up what he said. Alluded to the culture needs to change. (Also that he is bringing his S&C coach. Sounds like they are in for a lot of hard work, the kind they are not accustomed to. We'll see who buys in.) Plans on having strong relationships with all of his players.

As he earlier said, we have a lot more lake weather, so we can assume the team will be spending a lot of time together.

Yes, he said all the right things, but he sounds believable. Don't want to put words in his mouth, but the tone of his voice, sounded like he is wondering "what did they do here, for the last 4 years?"

I liked, and still do, CAJ. But, compared to CNO, starting to think CAJ really took us to the cleaners. And we gladly ponied up, to get him to ride into the sunset.

OK, enough of that..................!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.