Bama defense not getting enough credit

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Lost in the shuffle, this is one of the best Bama defenses in years. They have had only one bad quarter out of 16 quarters, which is incredible. And that one bad quarter, the defense was tired in that fourth quarter of the game, because our offense couldn’t sustain drives.

Thank you Mr. Steele and Mr. Saban.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Defense has been great. The only slight exception is vs Texas but Sark is a bit of an exception and I think we learned from that game. Needed to blitz more vs Texas

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If you noticed yesterday, Kiffin started with a very similar game plan to what Sark did two weeks ago. Lots of stuff sideline to sideline. His goals of hopefully getting us tired by the fourth quarter, softening up the middle and getting mismatches/busted coverages. It worked early, particularly on the touchdown drive,
The biggest difference was Steele and defensive staff adjusted for it…..on the fly. Something the previous staff seemed unable or unwilling to do.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Lost in the shuffle, this is one of the best Bama defenses in years. They have had only one bad quarter out of 16 quarters, which is incredible. And that one bad quarter, the defense was tired in that fourth quarter of the game, because our offense couldn’t sustain drives.

Thank you Mr. Steele and Mr. Saban.
They're improving, but I glanced at these rankings just for comparison:

2023 (so far):
scoring D: 18th (2nd SEC)
rushing D: 29th (6th SEC)
passing D: 48th (6th SEC)
total D: 31st (7th SEC)

2022 (total):
scoring D: 9th (2nd SEC)
rushing D: 35th (4th SEC)
passing D: 17th (3rd SEC)
total D: 13th (3rd SEC)

I hesitate in saying "this is one of the best Bama defenses in years" - could turn out that way, but a lot of improvement is still needed.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

2023 (so far):

2022 (total):

I hesitate in saying "this is one of the best Bama defenses in years" - could turn out that way, but a lot of improvement is still needed.
Minor nit: Yesterday was the SEC opener and there can be no doubt that none of Bama's non-conference were bona fide cupcakes.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

2023 (so far):

2022 (total):

Agreed. But they do seem to be playing angrier than they have recently. Especially the last 2 games

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
I think the key continues to be the "ball control" of the offense. Up until yesterday, we had tons of 3 and outs and quick scores. This all equals a tired Defense. I do think after the Texas game that the more aggressive we got in certain situations, the more we were able to give the ball back to the offense and rest more. I could tell by halftime of the Texas game that the defense was tired. I think a non-aggressive defense doesn't do itself any favors when it comes to resting!

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads