News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

He's liked a bunch of comments / articles calling Saban a hypocrite since he 'quit' the Dolphins. As if the situation is the same.

The Barnett's obviously have no clue what being on a team is about. After seeing these likes by his father, I'm thrilled BB is no longer at Alabama - he's the spoiled, prima-donna type I find repugnant.
His dad reminds me of dads I see in high schools all over the state, including ours--the ones who go watch their kids play (or bench ride) or hover at every practice but sit there and talk about their glory days, living vicariously through their children. They hover over the kids with their noses jammed so far up the rear ends of the coaches, they probably haven't had a breath of fresh air in years. Makes me sick. I wonder if Lance Barnett ever suggested that his prima donna work harder or did he just rely on what he thought he was entitled to? Having a young son who is just starting his career as a QB in middle school, this whole situation has really gotten under my skin. Mine got nervous this summer about not being good enough and wanted to quit--he was scared he would let the team down. We told him under no circumstances would he quit half way through fall practice and leave his team without a leader. He sucked it up and dealt with it, and now, we are undefeated, headed to the championship game and have out-scored our opponents 208-83. We didn't give him an option and he ended up going all in. We are unbelievably proud of the team and the coaches and amazed at how his attitude took a 180. Seeing a kid turn into a leader at the ripe old age of 13 is pretty cool.

That said, after watching a 13 year old figure it out, I have little to no empathy for the Barnett's. Good Luck to BB8. I will not be cheering for him.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I feel like logic has become a thing of the past. So often now we see two people compare two things that are very much not the same as though they are, and one has to wonder if they truly lack the mental ability to tell them apart of if they are intentionally using sophistry?

Anyway, I think 90% of us here would have supported Blake Barnett had he transferred at the end of the season. He didn't though, he quit mid-season and he deserves most of the flack he is catching. I also seriously doubt this turns out to benefit him at all.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I literally used the Hurts / Barnett story about how they have handled adversity in talk to some kids yesterday. One of them faced adversity, shrugged it off, and was determined to win, the other tucked-tail and ran when things got tough.

Solid life lesson for kids here.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Let's look a few years down the road and assume that Blake is a tweener NFL QB prospect. This will hurt him. No doubt that if he is a first rounder this will be overlooked, but not if he is a later round guy. Why? Because QBs taken in later rounds have to fight and work and compete to have a chance of making a roster or developing into a starter. I am sure that NFL teams will seriously question this move at that time. So, this may not hurt him at the college level, but it could really damage his NFL prospects.
Nail on the head.

CLICK HERE

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

He's liked a bunch of comments / articles calling Saban a hypocrite since he 'quit' the Dolphins. As if the situation is the same.

The Barnett's obviously have no clue what being on a team is about. After seeing these likes by his father, I'm thrilled BB is no longer at Alabama - he's the spoiled, prima-donna type I find repugnant.
Borrowing and modifying a quote from former MLB shortstop Garry Templeton, "If I ain't startin', I am departin!"

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I've got news for The Barnett's..Coach Saban never quit on his Players at Miami, he wouldn't even talk to Mal, until after the season was over with & wouldn't allow it to distract his team during the season..There's a right way & wrong way of going about situations like this..Coach Saban did it the right way..

One thing about Blake doing this in the middle of the season, opens up the floodgates, for other QB's to do the same thing in the future..You can betcha backside if we get into a shaky situation at the QB spot..Coach Saban will look at using this loophole The Barnett's are using with Blake to our advantage if we ever get thin at the QB spot..Coach Saban adapts to any & all rules regarding college football better than any HC in the game..

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Although he left after the season, Troy Aikman's transfer from Oklahoma to UCLA worked out great. Oklahoma had tried to modify its option offense for Aikman, but he got hurt mid season and then transferred.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Heard this story about The Sabans @ LSU coming from East Lansing and while being courted by Wayne Huizenga. Nick Saban was hearing the backroom chatter about LSU being interested in hiring him while at Michigan State, so he sent Terry down to Baton Rouge to get a lay of the land sorta incognito mode without him around to catch any attention. She called him back after getting around town and told him he was taking the job and leaving Michigan. Fast forward to the Dolphins job, he told Skip Bertman that he was considering taking the job but he was really undecided in the matter. Wayne Huizenga has a visit with the family and Terry apparently expressed some displeasure with moving again. Huizenga opened up his checkbook and wrote her a 250k+ check to buy decor for her new home in Miami. Basically that was what got him to Miami. And as most of us know, she was really the one Mal Moore targeted when trying to sway Nick Saban into taking the job. Allegedly she wanted to get back into the college coach's wife and smaller southern city lifestyle.

Saban has seemed flighty but really he was kinda being the husband most of us are: as long as the wife is happy, all is well. :D

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I've got news for The Barnett's..Coach Saban never quit on his Players at Miami, he wouldn't even talk to Mal, until after the season was over with & wouldn't allow it to distract his team during the season..There's a right way & wrong way of going about situations like this..Coach Saban did it the right way..

One thing about Blake doing this in the middle of the season, opens up the floodgates, for other QB's to do the same thing in the future..You can betcha backside if we get into a shaky situation at the QB spot..Coach Saban will look at using this loophole The Barnett's are using with Blake to our advantage if we ever get thin at the QB spot..Coach Saban adapts to any & all rules regarding college football better than any HC in the game..
Exactly! Coach Saban adapts better than any other coach and will outwork them all for the betterment of the team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Has Blake Barnett said / tweeted / Facebooked anything? Any public statement at all?

How about the dad? Anything?

I'm far from the most accomplished searcher, and I have never had either a Facebook or Twitter account (and never will!). So it's certainly possible they've gone on record, and I just don't know about it. But I have done a Google search, and found nothing.

So if they really haven't communicated anything beyond posting likes for false or misleading quotes, that action (or lack thereof) says more than any words they could type.

Their silence is deafening.

spray004

Scout Team
Apr 20, 2007

Barnett transferring doesn't surprise me at all. His realistic opportunity to start was pretty slim. Hurts would have to get injured for him to start. So his choice would be hope his teammate gets hurt or wait till he (Barnett) is a redshirt senior and hope that Hurts leaves after his junior year. If I was him, I would have left too. People might want to gripe that he left during the season well it looks as if he has to opportunity to leave now, join a JUCO team, graduate and be eligible for an FBS school next season. Pretty smart on his part.

I agree with Saban's comments. The media and even people in this forum build these recruits up as superstars that are going to be amazing when they get here. I remember all the chatter about Bateman, Cromwell, Barnett, and all the others over the years about how great they were going to be. If you really go back and think about Bama's QBs over the years, when was the last super star QB we had? AJ was pretty good, but beyond that we haven't had a superstar QB in a quite a long time.

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England

Has Blake Barnett said / tweeted / Facebooked anything? Any public statement at all?

How about the dad? Anything?

I'm far from the most accomplished searcher, and I have never had either a Facebook or Twitter account (and never will!). So it's certainly possible they've gone on record, and I just don't know about it. But I have done a Google search, and found nothing.

So if they really haven't communicated anything beyond posting likes for false or misleading quotes, that action (or lack thereof) says more than any words they could type.

Their silence is deafening.
Not a thing which is really disappointing.. Make a statement and then move on..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Barnett transferring doesn't surprise me at all. His realistic opportunity to start was pretty slim. Hurts would have to get injured for him to start. So his choice would be hope his teammate gets hurt or wait till he (Barnett) is a redshirt senior and hope that Hurts leaves after his junior year. If I was him, I would have left too. People might want to gripe that he left during the season well it looks as if he has to opportunity to leave now, join a JUCO team, graduate and be eligible for an FBS school next season. Pretty smart on his part.

I agree with Saban's comments. The media and even people in this forum build these recruits up as superstars that are going to be amazing when they get here. I remember all the chatter about Bateman, Cromwell, Barnett, and all the others over the years about how great they were going to be. If you really go back and think about Bama's QBs over the years, when was the last super star QB we had? AJ was pretty good, but beyond that we haven't had a superstar QB in a quite a long time.
I agree 100% with ya..Just like Tua that's committed to us & will be here in next seasons recruiting class..

I've kept up with his recruitment since he committed to us & lots of Bama Fans has anointed him as our next great QB at Bama, there's no doubting he's one of the best QB recruits we've landed yet, but, I worry about him having to much pressure put on him the moment he steps on campus just like Coach Saban was talking about..

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

What could they say at this point that wouldn't make them look like giant jerks? You don't quit on your team. How do you explain that in such a way that will make people "get it?" I'm going through excuses in my head and none of them work.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

What could they say at this point that wouldn't make them look like giant jerks? You don't quit on your team. How do you explain that in such a way that will make people "get it?" I'm going through excuses in my head and none of them work.
There are two theories of how satisfactorily to explain a 2nd string QB's decision to leave the team mid-season. Neither one works...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

He's going to take up skeet surfing with his fiancee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.