Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I suppose one could counter that Saban understood it would really get people talking so that's why he did it. Kind of like being willing to sacrifice a pawn, you are giving something up but there is more at stake. It could be he just sees this issue as so vital that he needed to do all he could to make it a national conversation.

It certainly was risky though, and it's hard for me not to take it as a somewhat ominous sign. The Miami guy for instance already announced that he was paying 10 million per year, and while that's across the entire athletic department, when you compare that to the 3 million number Saban cited, it does show how things will by necessity escalate.
I don't know much about this. Just curious our NIL number is so low compared to others.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good grief, the tone of Jimbo's presser. He's repeated the word despicable six or seven times in reference to Saban.
Implying Saban is dirty and always has been.

He seems steamed Saban is recognized as the goat and just childishly jealous.

I haven't felt this way towards A&M since they snaked Fran.
I regret the SEC added them. I regret the SEC is adding their big brother.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I mean I get what your saying but we finished 2nd out of 120 something teams this year in recruiting. I am not hitting the panic button yet.
Yes, you are correct, but would that be the case over time if the current format is kept the same? Five years from now, would we still be in the top five in recruiting if Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, and programs that reside in states and have alumni that could easily outspend Bama? I think that is what Saban is looking at and saying something NOW, not when we can't get better than #12 in recruiting.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes, you are correct, but would that be the case over time if the current format is kept the same? Five years from now, would we still be in the top five in recruiting if Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, and programs that reside in states and have alumni that could easily outspend Bama? I think that is what Saban is looking at and saying something NOW, not when we can't get better than #12 in recruiting.
Correct. And everyone had a come apart when he mentioned parity the other day, because of his success. But as usual, the media and fans at large miss the whole point.

He's not saying parity of results, which is what modern society is so focused on (much to its detriment, btw). It's parity of opportunity. That is going to quickly evaporate, and not only will the parity of opportunity be gone, but so will any possibility of parity of results.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Alabama has no billionaires (neither does MS).
Texas has 48. Florida has 44.

Alabama has about 95,000 households that can be considered millionaires.
Texas has 650,000. Florida has 500,000.

If it's a spending race then Alabama is in trouble. A billionaire could spend 1/10th of 1% of a $billion and that would be enough to give each recruit $40,000. That's pocket change.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So Jimbo knows about the "Collectives" but seems to claim ignorance about the activities of the collectives. I don't buy that at all. Jimbo must also not be aware of the fact that in society there are a lot of 17 year old kids that break laws. Just because they are not considered an adult it does not make them all innocent.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I think one thing to keep in mind, is money may bring recruits that otherwise wouldn't have gone there, but it doesn't guarantee success or that they will actually succeed. Giving a kid that type of money is no different than a professional athlete who is given the historical mega deal. They tend to never play as well after the big money as they did before they got it. There are fundamentals of human nature that never change, and this is one of them...
Case in point is DJ Uiagalelei, he was one of the first CFB players to get a big NIL deal and he ended up being one of the worst QBs in the P5 last season.

OTOH, Bryce Young ended up winning the Heisman.

Like you said, there are no guarantees, this A&M class could very never have a 10 win season.

Reactions: NCRollTider and Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.