Coaching Carousel 2021

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't think they could have not known that O posed a material risk on this front.

He has a long record of over-the-top histrionics, going back at least to when he pounded a Colonel Reb pin into his bare chest during his time at Ole Miss (O seems to have a thing about taking his shirt off in public), and numerous incidents since then entirely consistent with recent antics.

My guess is that the LSU PTB hoped he had matured out of that. And winning a NC masked some of it -- what's embarrassing for a loser can be endearingly eccentric in a winner.

But even they were embarrassed by his behavior on the field and in the locker room after they beat us in 2019. I can't link those episodes due to some pretty salty language. But they're easy to find on YouTube for anybody curious as to exactly what he did and said.

Yeah, some of that might appeal to 18-year-olds on the recruiting trail. But they're not typically going to register that it's entirely inconsistent with a winning culture or approach to the game. There's a reason top coaches don't act that way, and it's not a lack of testosterone.

From my recent visits to LSU boards, it appears that 2019 only gave O a bullet-proof image of himself, and he's been alienating a lot of important people with his over-the-top macho arrogance ever since. But 2019 bought him a pass, at least for a while.

So to circle back to the original point, even before they hired him, there's no way the LSU PTB didn't know that O was a huge PR risk. They hoped he'd matured out of the worst of it, and that winning would make the rough edges points of endearment, not embarrassment.

It's an understatement to say that it hasn't worked out the way they hoped.
Especially with the precipitous fall post Brady.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Will someone explain to me why O is regarded as a great recruiter? I looked at recruiting ranking while he was at Ole Miss, USC and Tennessee and they were nothing special. So why does have that rep?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
A side note to the discussion about Oeaux, the Who's opponent this Saturday is McNeese State, quarterbacked by his son, Cody. Probably not unique, but what an odd situation for a father and son to be in.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Someone else said it, I think deliveryman, but no way LSU can outbid Texas A&M. It's not just that A&M has all of these rich boosters, it's that the state of Louisiana has had financial issues for some time and that has to have an impact on what LSU can and cannot do. I know we all will move mountains for football... but there are limitations.

Maybe Jimbo thinks he would have a better chance at a championship at LSU? I really don't see it. Even with Texas and OU joining the league.

I'm not that worried about what LSU is going to do. I think they are just on the edge of the cliff, about to tumble down to the canyon below. We shall see.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
A side note to the discussion about Oeaux, the Who's opponent this Saturday is McNeese State, quarterbacked by his son, Cody. Probably not unique, but what an odd situation for a father and son to be in.
I just have to ask, do you think his son will wear a Sissy Blue shirt???

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Can we just go ahead and rename the thread now? COeauxching CarOeauxsel regards and all that...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guarantee you that Urban is USC’s first call, and Fickle is their second. Past that are the usual suspects. But they are going to make a home run hire because it’s way past due.

Reactions: Bama197

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guarantee you that Urban is USC’s first call, and Fickle is their second. Past that are the usual suspects. But they are going to make a home run hire because it’s way past due.
I can't see Urban leaving the NFL before a season is even completed (though I realize others have before). And Fickle would be a really bad fit, IMO.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I wonder if Lane Kiffin would go back there if they asked him. Do his kids still live in CA?
Just hope they don't try to take anyone on our staff at Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.