Coaching Search

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know the season isn’t over and I hope it last for another 2 weeks. But I’m constantly reminded that most Alabama fans are on the fence about promoting Jackson as the HC and there is a large group of fans who constantly believes Alabama will shell out 1 million dollars to a baseball coach and allow him to make demands that he believes are necessary to win.

Well a name that insiders seem to believe Bryne is targeting is Rob Vaughn. Maryland’s coach. He has done a great job but again it’s still the B1G and his recruiting is very abysmal. I bring this up because these are the kind of “high end” names that we are likely pursuing because they are the types that will be interested

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
I know the season isn’t over and I hope it last for another 2 weeks. But I’m constantly reminded that most Alabama fans are on the fence about promoting Jackson as the HC and there is a large group of fans who constantly believes Alabama will shell out 1 million dollars to a baseball coach and allow him to make demands that he believes are necessary to win.

Well a name that insiders seem to believe Bryne is targeting is Rob Vaughn. Maryland’s coach. He has done a great job but again it’s still the B1G and his recruiting is very abysmal. I bring this up because these are the kind of “high end” names that we are likely pursuing because they are the types that will be interested
Just looking at common opponents between the 2 schools this year his record against them does not excite me. Another common opponent between us will be Wake Forest and they did not fare well at all against them in the regionals.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
He completely turned that program around. If he did that without recruiting well, then that might not be a bad route to take, given that we are a little limited with regards to NIL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He completely turned that program around. If he did that without recruiting well, then that might not be a bad route to take, given that we are a little limited with regards to NIL.
Yeah but Maryland is still a B1G team. The B1G hasn’t won a CWS since 1966. There is a reason the #1 team in the B1G got the hardest draw for a #2 seed. The B1G also only got 3 bids in this current tournament and 2 last year. It’s a very easy conference to win.

Also NIL is not the issue for us. It’s the lack of fan support and being a strict 11.7 program. I honestly don’t see the massive upside of bringing in a B1G coach to do another 5 year plan vs keeping what we currently have.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Vaughn is an interesting candidate. Back to back Big 10 COY, two straight NCAA appearances, won 90 games in the last two seasons and he is the youngest D-1 head coach. Here is his profile.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Vaughn is an interesting candidate. Back to back Big 10 COY, two straight NCAA appearances, won 90 games in the last two seasons and he is the youngest D-1 head coach. Here is his profile.

Still a B1G coach with lousy recruiting. That won’t cut it here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here we are now trying to find out what this program means.

Right now I would say there two ways to look at it.

1) We need to fully purge ourselves of the Bohannan era and move to a different direction.

or

2) See that 23 was proof that the recruiting was there under Bo and that we just needed more focused leadership.

If 1 is the answer then we need to accept that we are going to be in the gutter for the next 3 years at a minimum and that 500 k dollars is about 500k too cheap to hire a quality head coach that would be willing to come in with our recruiting and facility limitations in the murderous SEC. Keep in mind that the next coach will not have much of a say in facilities and money because Saban and Oats are making demands that take priority. It’s almost a given that most of what we perceive as potentially returning next year will likely seek other opportunities if Jackson is not retained. There is far more loyalty to the current staff than most are aware of and no one is a given to stay and teams like LSU, Florida, and the Mississippis are likely to jump on our quality players during a transition.

As for Door #2… Keeping Jackson probably gives us two years of stability and might keep us competitive. However it’s hard to gauge at how quickly we can replace 6 starters. It’s also difficult to assess how good Jackson can coach when he isn’t playing with house money. I think pitching coaches as managers work the best and if he can keep morris and hire a decent pitching coach then it might work well enough that we could create something like Auburn currently has right now. But the more this goes on the more I think Bryne wants to hire a guy that he believes the fans would put away their fire and pitchforks for a few years during a grace period than go this route.

Both options are really not great options, but Alabama isn’t LSU in which the BOT are willing to write a check and expect someone great to pick up the phone either. It’s like @4Q Basket Case Usually says… “we fired him, now what?”

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I'm good with both keeping him, and going a different route. I believe in Greg Byrne. He'll find the right man for the job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Vaughn is the guy

Well I am not optimistic on this. I fear we will be looking for another coach in 4-5 years after the fans who don’t go to games rebel on him. However it seems that he is trying to keep Jackson.

However I’ll still be one to go to games and hope for the best.
I think this is solid hire. Get some experienced coaches on staff and they can make some noise.

The best hire are the one who isn't afraid of trying things.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think this is solid hire. Get some experienced coaches on staff and they can make some noise.

The best hire are the one who isn't afraid of trying things.
Winning the B1G isn’t exactly a difficult task to do. He is a bad recruiter in a bad conference. Alabama isn’t a good job for bad recruiting.

Keeping Jackson and Morris could offset that but this seems like a “get off my back for 5 years” hire by bryne. I more have feelings about this hire like I did when we hired Goff. After all this speculation…. We get a lousy recruiter in a bad conference coming to the premier conference in baseball where over half of the teams have a huge recruiting advantage over you before the recruiting season even begins.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Winning the B1G isn’t exactly a difficult task to do. He is a bad recruiter in a bad conference. Alabama isn’t a good job for bad recruiting.

Keeping Jackson and Morris could offset that but this seems like a “get off my back for 5 years” hire by bryne
If you look at the first 3 years... with 2020 canceled, they improved. 2021- they went 30-18
then 48-14 in 2022, and 2023- 42-19. Went to Regional 3 times.

I noticed the recuiting isn't all Vaughn's fault. They seem to be limited to where they can recuit. He can develop the players. That's for sure.

Anyone noticed that he is Nat Oats of Baseball? He loves analystics and data. He's more of a power hitting beliver but knows when to take chances.

Surround him with some experienced coach, and keep JJ (Which they are) They can do some damage on recuiting and can get some good players. This bodes well for some of the players on the roster. Between him and JJ, the offense should be very good next year. It's more of pitching I'm concerned with and I hope he can hire a pitching coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you look at the first 3 years... with 2020 canceled, they improved. 2021- they went 30-18
then 48-14 in 2022, and 2023- 42-19. Went to Regional 3 times.

I noticed the recuiting isn't all Vaughn's fault. They seem to be limited to where they can recuit. He can develop the players. That's for sure.

Anyone noticed that he is Nat Oats of Baseball? He loves analystics and data. He's more of a power hitting beliver but knows when to take chances.

Surround him with some experienced coach, and keep JJ (Which they are) They can do some damage on recuiting and can get some good players. This bodes well for some of the players on the roster. Between him and JJ, the offense should be very good next year. It's more of pitching I'm concerned with and I hope he can hire a pitching coach.
Still a B1G coach with lousy recruiting. You can be the greatest coach and still be horrible at Alabama because any kid with opinions is going elsewhere in the conference unless they bleed Crimson and White. Baseball is not a headcount sport and that being so means that teams with a lottery scholarship and/or an additional instate scholarship has a decisive advantage over someone who doesn’t. Something Maryland has but Alabama doesn’t. So color me concerned when we fired a top 15 recruiter and replaced him with a top 35-40. You have to recruit at a high level to be able to win in this league, you can’t just settle for a bunch of Mickey mousers and win like you can in the B1G

Also JJ is the pitching coach. Pitching will be our strength next year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Keeping Jackson and Morris could offset that but this seems like a “get off my back for 5 years” hire by bryne. I more have feelings about this hire like I did when we hired Goff. After all this speculation…. We get a lousy recruiter in a bad conference coming to the premier conference in baseball where over half of the teams have a huge recruiting advantage over you before the recruiting season even begins.
What are you basing your opinion on with Vaughn? Seems you keep saying he is from the BIG10 so he can't be any good and he can't recruit. He got players to Maryland that were apparently good enough to win D1 conference championships. I know BIG10 is not the SEC but from what I have read and researched he has a great reputation so I am not going to fire him before he has his introductory press conference.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads