Dates set for some games in Alabama’s 2024 schedule

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Hopefully we can get Vandy after Wisconsin, bye after Georgia, and S. Car after Tennessee. The rest is brutal. Going on the road to Norman before the Iron Bowl is insane. Does anyone have a tougher schedule than us next year?

Reactions: Tidelines

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not next year...but the quality of opponents seems to be going up. Playing UO in Norman instead of MSU is the starter...I think in 3 years we will have at least a 9 if not 10 game conference schedule. Why play UWisc. when we could play Texas?
OH, and I bet UT will cycle back in for Bama after the two year OU cycle.

I mean, I understand, because it's featuring the best of the SEC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What would the powers that be do with Texas, Bama, UGA, Oklahoma, and Missouri all with 1 - 2 losses, albeit, to each other? Would we get 5 teams in? Same question goes with BigTen...
If we return to a norm of not having undefeated teams from other conferences not named B1G or SEC I guarantee you there will be years where a couple 2 loss team gets in.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Of course, no one knows what these other teams are going to be. We don't even know what Alabama will be.

But let's assume we have minimal losses to the NFL or Portal. Let's assume Milroe goes ahead and improves across the off season at the same rate he improved during this season. If these are the case, AND if we miss out on the playoff this year due to committee shenanigans, we are going to be VERY good and VERY motivated.

Oklahoma has been a mixed bag since Stoops retired. That's still going to be a tough road trip, especially in November. I've seen some very cold games be played in Oklahoma in late November. Yes, Auburn is the next week but it is in Tuscaloosa and we murder them there.

Wisconsin cannot match up with us. The game is in Madison, yes, so that's going to be a challenge. But we will be favored. Probably by 10 or more.

Georgia is Georgia and it will be the toughest game, but it is in Tuscaloosa.

LSU and Tennessee will be talented, but look what they did in their 2nd years under their new HCs.

It's certainly going to be entertaining.
IMO, the odds of Milroe even returning are closing in on nil. He will almost surely have a 1st round grade, for certain a top 3 round grade. He may want to return to improve from the mid/bottom of the 1st round to a possible top 3 pick.

He may enjoy college and want to play for another year (though he's graduating in 3 years), idk. But IMO, there is a good and increasing chance that he will have a great opportunity to go to the NFL as a first-round pick. I agree he is not NFL-ready and all teams will know this, but a year or 2 as an understudy and he could quickly become a franchise QB. But he seems to learn best by playing not practicing, so another year of college might be best for him. But IMO, he will have the chance for NFL gold.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
OH, and I bet UT will cycle back in for Bama after the two year OU cycle.

I mean, I understand, because it's featuring the best of the SEC.
My understanding is that next year the only SEC game that will be the same is AU. I.e., the SEC schedule will be much easier with AU, UTx, UF, A&M, Ark, OM, MSU, UK. The following year will be this year's schedule, etc. I.e., each program has 1 permanent opponent, then half of the remaining 14 for an 8 game SEC schedule. That makes things completely equitable, except for the 1 permanent opponent every program plays the same set of teams every two years, i.e., every team in the conference. In some respects I like it as far as fairness, but in terms of the CFP, it is brutal, unless they seriously consider SOS. If so, there could be a couple of 3 loss teams that make it.

(Georgia's days on easy street are over. And they do play a bear of a schedule next year: Clemson, UK, Ala, AU, MSU, UTx, UF, OM, UTn, GT). But everyone plays a nightmare schedule, at least Alabama, UGA, LSU, etc. don't have to play themselves. Poor Vanderbilt in 2024: SMU, AU, UK, OM, LSU, Missouri, Alabama, USCe, UTn, UTx. It's similar to this for everyone. But what SEC program will have any players left? Then of course the top 2 of this Bataan death march have to play each other for the championship, assuming they can suit up 22 healthy players.

ESPN has to be giddy over the games at play. If Alabama is as good as we hope next year, there could be as many as 7 games worthy of prime time: UGA, OU, LSU, UTn, AU, Missouri, Wisc. Other top SEC programs may have catalogs almost as long. OTOH, the SEC could cannibalize itself such that there won't be any top 5 teams by the end of the year.

Reactions: teamplayer

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
ESPN has to be giddy over the games at play. If Alabama is as good as we hope next year, there could be as many as 7 games worthy of prime time: UGA, OU, LSU, UTn, AU, Missouri, Wisc. Other top SEC programs may have catalogs almost as long. OTOH, the SEC could cannibalize itself such that there won't be any top 5 teams by the end of the year.
Wisconsin will be a Fox or CBS game next year. The B1G has the rights to the game since Wisconsin is the host. Safe assumption is a 11 am kick.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, the odds of Milroe even returning are closing in on nil. He will almost surely have a 1st round grade, for certain a top 3 round grade. He may want to return to improve from the mid/bottom of the 1st round to a possible top 3 pick.

He may enjoy college and want to play for another year (though he's graduating in 3 years), idk. But IMO, there is a good and increasing chance that he will have a great opportunity to go to the NFL as a first-round pick. I agree he is not NFL-ready and all teams will know this, but a year or 2 as an understudy and he could quickly become a franchise QB. But he seems to learn best by playing not practicing, so another year of college might be best for him. But IMO, he will have the chance for NFL gold.
Unless he plays lights out in the CFP and Alabama wins it all, he will not go in the first round. This is a very heavy QB draft

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
What would the powers that be do with Texas, Bama, UGA, Oklahoma, and Missouri all with 1 - 2 losses, albeit, to each other? Would we get 5 teams in? Same question goes with BigTen...
This article should answer that question perfectly…I was an advocate for conference championships going away but if you have to decide between 4 teams…

SEC Playoff????

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Unless he plays lights out in the CFP and Alabama wins it all, he will not go in the first round. This is a very heavy QB draft
I don’t see it even if he does show out in the CFP. Too many quarterbacks and too many unknowns at the top of the draft. I would suspect Caleb Williams is everyone’s pre draft season guy, and there is Daniels. Just way too many of those guys. I see Jalen 3rd round… potentially late 2nd

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don’t see it even if he does show out in the CFP. Too many quarterbacks and too many unknowns at the top of the draft. I would suspect Caleb Williams is everyone’s pre draft season guy, and there is Daniels. Just way too many of those guys. I see Jalen 3rd round… potentially late 2nd
I think you all highlight the pros and cons very well.

But more and more we are seeing NFL teams drafting on potential; as with the Gator QB last year.

Call it the Jalen Hurts phenomenon (although out of OU Jalen was more polished for the NFL) but Jalen Milroe has potential oozing out of him.

Of course his legs are a tremendous upside, but the growth we've seen in his passing abilities (coupled with his legs) is "alarming" (if you have to play against him). And he's only barely scratching the surface of his potential and that's what's scary for opposing defenses. And the fact he seems so coachable and with his dynamic personality that the team has flocked around make him pretty attractive.

Sure, another year at Bama makes sense if he's graded as a 3rd rounder or more. But if he's anywhere in the 1st round (maybe even second) he's gone to get the sure money. A team with a good, but older starting QB would be smart to see his potential.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads