Defensive Questions for Bama vs. UGA

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For you defensive experts, how does each team defend the other?

I'd especially like to hear some discussion on the pros and cons of:

Bama playing more zone than man.

UGA spying JM/Kirby's struggle with running QBs

Bama defending BB

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the game will come down to who can control the other team's rushing attack most effectively, and who wins the turnover battle.
I've seen a few of Georgia's games this year (at least part of them) and they seem more susceptible to the run this year than past years.

But at the same time, this is probably the weakest rushing offense (not counting JM's running ability) that I can remember in several years...maybe all the way back to '07. Our top 2 backs are dependable but not dynamic and it's rare that we break a long run. The ones I remember it was JaceM and he's probably out of this game OR at least limited.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not an expert. It seems that we have moved Downs to Nickel though which means he could be the guy on Bowers the most often if that holds. We really need a big game from out DL but they have a maybe elite OL. Stopping the run game and getting pressure on Beck with 4 will be big so we can play more coverage on the back end and hopefully force Beck to hold the ball a tick longer because he gets the ball out fast.

Idk what they will do vs us. I'd bet the spy Milroe selectively but not every play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing that has existed since Saban has been here, and that means while Kirby was at UA, is the "seams" aka "down the middle" being the weakness of our defense. Now, I'm not sure how many tweaks Kirby has made to "his" defense since leaving UA, but Freeze definitely reminded everyone in this past weekend's Iron Bowl that it is still the weak spot of Bama's defense.

I haven't watched UGA enough to even give a shot in the dark about their defense or offense. I do know from a defensive standpoint, that they lost a lot of elite talent to this year's NFL draft. But I have no idea if their replacements are on the same level or not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not an expert. It seems that we have moved Downs to Nickel though which means he could be the guy on Bowers the most often if that holds. We really need a big game from out DL but they have a maybe elite OL. Stopping the run game and getting pressure on Beck with 4 will be big so we can play more coverage on the back end and hopefully force Beck to hold the ball a tick longer because he gets the ball out fast.

Idk what they will do vs us. I'd bet the spy Milroe selectively but not every play.
Heard yesterday on a "Film Doesn't Lie" vid (done by two UGA guys) that JM hold the ball in the pocket the longest of all FBS QBs and Beck holds it the shortest.

UGA's passing game is more of a timing thing/throwing before cuts and JM depends more on seeing a man open to deliver it. Big difference.

This is where my question about man vs. zone comes into play. Man probably offers tighter coverage but risks bigger gains in case of bust or broken tackles. But if we play zone they may be able to dink and dunk us to death. IDK?

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One thing that has existed since Saban has been here, and that means while Kirby was at UA, is the "seams" aka "down the middle" being the weakness of our defense. Now, I'm not sure how many tweaks Kirby has made to "his" defense since leaving UA, but Freeze definitely reminded everyone in this past weekend's Iron Bowl that it is still the weak spot of Bama's defense.

I haven't watched UGA enough to even give a shot in the dark about their defense or offense. I do know from a defensive standpoint, that they lost a lot of elite talent to this year's NFL draft. But I have no idea if their replacements are on the same level or not.
That's not Jalen's strength to hit seams. He's decent in crossing routes. Of course, he'd rather throw it deep, but everybody in the country knows that including Kirby's grandmother.

Beck, on the other hand, can hit those weak spots. We need to get in his face fast.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Heard yesterday on a "Film Doesn't Lie" vid (done by two UGA guys) that JM hold the ball in the pocket the longest of all FBS QBs and Beck holds it the shortest.

UGA's passing game is more of a timing thing/throwing before cuts and JM depends more on seeing a man open to deliver it. Big difference.

This is where my question about man vs. zone comes into play. Man probably offers tighter coverage but risks bigger gains in case of bust or broken tackles. But if we play zone they may be able to dink and dunk us to death. IDK?
Beck doesn't hold the ball, he never gets touched. Their offense is timing. Only thing to combat that is QB pressure. We need some sacks on Beck, but we need to make him run for his life the whole game. Disrupt disrupt disrupt.

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022

We have to knock the receivers off the route regardless. Beck probably has the best arm we have seen this year, but he loves to thread the needle. Knock him around a few times, make him scramble and he will be off his game. Problem is, no team has been able to do that this year all game long.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That's not Jalen's strength to hit seams. He's decent in crossing routes. Of course, he'd rather throw it deep, but everybody in the country knows that including Kirby's grandmother.

Beck, on the other hand, can hit those weak spots. We need to get in his face fast.
If I'm Tommy Rees and know how much running quarterbacks have not only killed Saban's defenses but Kirby's as well, I'm getting very, very created this week.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama will play a lot of tight man so those passes will be more tightly contested than against any team that Beck has seen. Pick one off and he will get slower as doubts creep in. Hit him or move him from his spot and his job gets even tougher.

Alabama cannot win this game if Beck is able to stand back there like he has all season. Beck has been sacked less than 1 time per game this year. But he has not faced a defense in the same hemisphere of that which he will see on Saturday.

The real question - can Alabama get to Beck. The answer to that question decides the game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To get pressure you're going to have to disrupt his timing and make him hold the ball for a tick longer IMO. He just gets the ball out too quickly to get pressure consistently without that.

IMO the way for this Alabama defense to do that is to try our best to make sure the UGA WRs/Bowers aren't getting clean releases when lined up on the LOS. We have to be physical and throw off the timing a bit. They will obviously scheme up some free releases though and we can't whiff on a guy when we do press. Also, it could be a game where the DL needs to understand if they aren't winning quickly then they need to be ready to try and deflect passes at the line.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Alabama will play a lot of tight man so those passes will be more tightly contested than against any team that Beck has seen. Pick one off and he will get slower as doubts creep in. Hit him or move him from his spot and his job gets even tougher.

Alabama cannot win this game if Beck is able to stand back there like he has all season. Beck has been sacked less than 1 time per game this year. But he has not faced a defense in the same hemisphere of that which he will see on Saturday.

The real question - can Alabama get to Beck. The answer to that question decides the game.
And the likely answer to that question depends on whether we can successfully and regularly interrupt the timing of the WR/TE routes, forcing Beck to double-clutch and hold the ball longer.

For UGA's defense, the question is their side-to-side speed and whether we can effectively take advantage of that...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I've seen a few of Georgia's games this year (at least part of them) and they seem more susceptible to the run this year than past years.

But at the same time, this is probably the weakest rushing offense (not counting JM's running ability) that I can remember in several years...maybe all the way back to '07. Our top 2 backs are dependable but not dynamic and it's rare that we break a long run. The ones I remember it was JaceM and he's probably out of this game OR at least limited.
Our run game has improved a lot since the first half of the season. Largely due to improved OL play. But still be tough running on UGA. Awbern putting a spy on Milroe may have actually helped, because UGA may do the same. Kirby already compared Milroe to Lamar Jackson. So he definitely sees the run threat Milroe poses.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

" Pick one off"......hmmm.....that means getting your head around and looking for the ball, doesn`t it? At least on the longer routes? Shorter routes, you have to jump them.

I agree on pressuring/getting to Beck. Something nobody`s been able to do for what.....two years? Well..him and the guy before him.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
I hope we figure out the gaps for the running game..just watched the AU game and the holes were huge......

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads