Did Ben Davis See the Field?

pastorbt

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 9, 2017
I caught the audio in the practice vid too. I also remember when he was in the game, I forget against who, that it seemed he got pushed around pretty bad. Now, FWIW, that can be the result of lack of strength, or dislike of contact, or no killer instinct. It could be the result of one, a combination, or all three. I do know that I am pulling for Ben! I'd love to see him all of a sudden get IT! I'd love to see him become the monster that we all thought he would become.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I know this is a rumor. I cant give a source but I heard that he doesn't like contact. That would explain why he doesn't see the field. Especially on Special Teams.
I'm not sure I believe that. How does a high school kid who doesn't like contact, make it into a Bama jersey?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, if he was hurting the team Saban would have run him off long ago. He must be helping the team in some way, and his life will be vastly improved for his time invested at Alabama. Maybe not in the way that everyone planned, but that's life.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, I think he was a five-star recruit, IIRC. OJ Howard was a five star from a small (1a or 2a) school, too. There was a period of adjustment for him, too, but it seems to have worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty different situations. While OJ played at Autauga Academy, he grew up in the Prattville school system before the school zone changed. He went through the equivalent to 6A junior high football. He played peewee football in Prattville.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, if he was hurting the team Saban would have run him off long ago. He must be helping the team in some way, and his life will be vastly improved for his time invested at Alabama. Maybe not in the way that everyone planned, but that's life.
Improved our recruiting ranking, I guess. Seriously, practice fodder is always needed. It's just unfortunate if they're rated as 5* coming out of HS...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fayette Co HS is my alma mater and we're a little bit bigger than Gordo HS. The best performer we've sent to UA in my lifetime was Sam Collins and he was only a role player in the WR corp despite setting several state HS records for WRs here. Spencer Pennington was the best of a bad backup quarterback situation in 2004. Luke Tucker ended up transferring out and his older brother (now FCHS's HC) Lance Tucker was a holder and backup QB during the Barker/Kitchens time period.

It is a big step up from mid-tier classification AHSAA to the SEC.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Improved our recruiting ranking, I guess. Seriously, practice fodder is always needed. It's just unfortunate if they're rated as 5* coming out of HS...
Wasn't he in the same class as Josh Jacobs? If so, they can just switch rankings/stars.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Fayette Co HS is my alma mater and we're a little bit bigger than Gordo HS. The best performer we've sent to UA in my lifetime was Sam Collins and he was only a role player in the WR corp despite setting several state HS records for WRs here. Spencer Pennington was the best of a bad backup quarterback situation in 2004. Luke Tucker ended up transferring out and his older brother (now FCHS's HC) Lance Tucker was a holder and backup QB during the Barker/Kitchens time period.

It is a big step up from mid-tier classification AHSAA to the SEC.
35 catches his senior year is a more than a role player.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-collins-1.html

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Pretty different situations. While OJ played at Autauga Academy, he grew up in the Prattville school system before the school zone changed. He went through the equivalent to 6A junior high football. He played peewee football in Prattville.
We’ll just disagree on that - junior high football isn’t comparable to high school, and for him he played HS football against extremely inferior competition. AISA, when he last played six years ago, provided him with little challenge individually.

JayRock

3rd Team
Feb 10, 2004
hueytown, al, usa
I'm not sure I believe that. How does a high school kid who doesn't like contact, make it into a Bama jersey?
I have a friend that used to work closely with the team and he told me that some of the coaches used the word "soft" when Davis was mentioned. I hope he gets it together and can contribute. I'm definitely pulling hard for him.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I have a friend that used to work closely with the team and he told me that some of the coaches used the word "soft" when Davis was mentioned. I hope he gets it together and can contribute. I'm definitely pulling hard for him.
maybe so - watching his HS highlights, he pretty often wouldn't directly engage blockers with force. he had a tendency to try and dip under, behind or around instead of engaging across the blockers face. he could get away with that in HS, but against really good college athletes, the OL will eat that up since they'll get hands on him faster if he tries to play off softly, and if he tries to cut behind a block an SEC RB is gone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.