Difference in Saban and Malzahn

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I know there are others, but yesterday's pressers really paint the picture well.

In talking about the overall class breakdown, Malzahn tried to give the impression that they got every recruit they had "targeted for a long time" where Saban frankly said "we wanted to add another WR, but you don't always get what you want in recruiting". In other words, Malzahn took the approach of "we fully succeeded" whereas Saban indicated "we weren't totally successful".

In speaking of the recruits themselves, Malzahn indicated that this class was a "special group"... and set the bar high (i.e. we'll look back in a few years and realize how special this class was). Saban, on the other hand, was much more cautious - saying something along the lines of "we don't know what kind of recruiting class we have yet... you need to wait to see how guys develop".

In both areas, it's telling to see their philosophy. With Malzahn, it's "we did a great job" and "these guys are going to be great players". With Saban, it's "there's room for improvement" and "guys have to work before we deem them 'great players'." To me, it's a small insight into why Saban has become so dominant in the coaching circles - he rarely seems 100% satisfied and constantly preaches "the process" of hard work and improvement.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree and commented to my wife about that when we watched the presser. Saban also addressed the grayshirts. He said that all knew well ahead of time that it was a possibility. I am glad that he did and I feel that I owe this board an apology for not giving Saban time to address the issue.

Best coach in the business, and not afraid to take on the tough questions.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I love listening to Coach Saban's pressers. He genuinely answers questions and gives good information when he's not trying to send a message. He doesn't just give the typical coach speak answers. He is very thoughtful in what he says.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Sounds like Malzahn is trying to sell his class to the faithful. Saban doesn't need to do that. He has tangible proof of what will happen, since every recruiting class since LSU has gotten a ring.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
regarding the grayshirts, i can't help but think it probably ended up like this:

1. recruit was told a while back that there was a possibility, but really wanted them
2. as the finish line (signing day) drew near, they made the assumption that the scholly was theirs
3. the staff continued recruiting other players and, when those panned out, made the decision to go with the grayshirt as discussed and presented same to the player
4. the player and family felt like it was taken from them at the last minute

this is just my thought on how it probably went down, but if so, would make sense. as the date draws near and the coaches haven't come back to you with the grayshirt offer, you assume the scholly is yours. days before signing, the coaches contact to inform that the decision has been made. while you had been informed beforehand and knew it was a possibility, being told at the last minute probably ruffled feathers as they assumed the scholly was theirs and now it isn't. i could be off-base, but this scenario makes the most sense to me.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I also read yesterday that AU only signed 1 offensive lineman. Not sure if that is true or not..

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
difference between Gus and our coach is good ole Gus doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.
last year he proclaimed Muschamp as the best DC in the country.
last year he hyped Jeremy Johnson up as the Heisman favorite.

this pre season he claims they have the best Defensive line haul in the country after NSD.

he continues to shout loud from the mountain top only to fall flat on his face.

CNS has all the accolades bestowed upon him along with all the National and SEC Championships for his hard work. he talks and everyone listens. when Gus talks, all I hear is blah, blah, blah !!!!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love listening to Coach Saban's pressers. He genuinely answers questions and gives good information when he's not trying to send a message. He doesn't just give the typical coach speak answers. He is very thoughtful in what he says.
He really does put effort and not just spew crap out of his mouth. I think it shows how smart he really is.

mikelove

Scout Team
Oct 4, 2014
If that doesn't get you fired up about the program and the young men coming into it I don't know what will.
Amen that's the kind of guys I want. That's why we will get #17, 18, ........... Love that we got some talented boys from home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.