Has Alabama ruined college football for fans of other teams?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I enjoy our dominance and being the eternal favorite. I rarely even feel even a little anxiety before games any more. However, I must admit that the thought in the title has passed through my mind before. Then, I ran across the thread below on a MSU Bulldog board...

MSU
Yeah, I was watching the game this weekend with some friends, and I was the only Bama fan. I would make a comment about some mistake that we would make, and they would all start moaning and telling me to shut up because we were ahead by 21 points, blah, blah, blah. I finally said that I was not worried about just beating UT. Instead, I was looking at things and hoping we would continue to improve because I want to win championships and not just individual games. Well, of course, they all started moaning and bellyaching at that point. I just finally had to tell them that I wasn't apologizing for our success. All I ever hope is that we do things the right way and not sell our souls for success, to which several of them responded that we just cheat better than everyone else. I choose to believe that we just work harder and do it better under Saban because I have been embarrassed when we have had some cheating issues in the past. Let's outwork them and outsmart them! Roll Tide!

Reactions: Con

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't care if we've ruined it for them or not.
Where were they when we got hosed on Albert Means and all the other crap? They were celebrating: Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and all.
You want things to be fair, State? Then speak out against things like Scam Newton and Pimp Daddy Cecil, Oh, that's right, you couldn't because the YOU would have been in deep poo over admitting y'all offered money.
I hope we continue the tradition of ruining college football for other fans this Saturday and hope we do it in dramatic fashion.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll reiterate that what ruined it for MANY of these teams was that when there was no playoff, MOST of the bowl games (until they went bonkers) had a level of prestige and you could finish knowing, "Hey, we're Orange Bowl champs" or something like that.

It's a close parallel to the "everybody gets a trophy" concept - because it's gone, teams knowing they have no chance are frustrated. The real concern needs to be whether we'll even have CFB in the future. And in all honesty, I personally wouldn't mind some regressive steps back to amateurism.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
MSU had their chance to beat bama in 2017 and blew it. That is their football history. The weed eater bowl needs participants and that is what programs like msu are for.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
After what we went through from 1997-2006, they can all pound sand.

What we are in the midst of, is just a blip on the radar of time. It has passed so quickly; 2009 seems like yesterday but it was 11 years ago; and CNS's retirement is rapidly approaching when viewed through the lens of time. Our society as a whole has become completely deficient of any attention span whatsoever, and cannot deal with adversity in a positive way. So they whine. They change the rules. It's a spiral to mediocrity. I have zero tolerance for it.

So I will enjoy every last ounce of glory that comes from this current Alabama run, knowing how fleeting it is, and won't give one ounce of concern to whether or not fans of other teams are enjoying their Saturdays. I got along just fine when we were losing to Louisiana Tech. They will too.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
College football is what it always was to 90%+ of the schools. Those schools never won conference or national championships anyway. Their fans watched for love of the game or their school, not because they expected anything in terms of championships.

Now, they might believe that it has changed, but it has not. When was the last time that MSU won an SEC Championship? National Championship? If they have no hope now, they never did. They just believed that they did - kinda like the parody of the Gamecocks fan in the latest SEC Shorts vid.

ETA - it might be fair to say that it has changed for a few schools who had a fighting chance every once in a while. But MSU? Not so much.
Basically, you're right. Alabama and Clemson don't spoil the enjoyment of college football by the fans of non-top six schools anymore than Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio dating super-models spoils my marriage. We're hoping to beat our rival and to get to a good bowl game. Only a handful of schools have a chance to win it all. Look at it this way: you guys are upset when your team has a two loss season!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Basically, you're right. Alabama and Clemson don't spoil the enjoyment of college football by the fans of non-top six schools anymore than Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio dating super-models spoils my marriage. We're hoping to beat our rival and to get to a good bowl game. Only a handful of schools have a chance to win it all. Look at it this way: you guys are upset when your team has a two loss season!
This is not a smart aleck reply...I thought you were a Bama fan?

ROCKEE

1st Team
Nov 1, 2010
Trussville
After what we went through from 1997-2006, they can all pound sand.

What we are in the midst of, is just a blip on the radar of time. It has passed so quickly; 2009 seems like yesterday but it was 11 years ago; and CNS's retirement is rapidly approaching when viewed through the lens of time. Our society as a whole has become completely deficient of any attention span whatsoever, and cannot deal with adversity in a positive way. So they whine. They change the rules. It's a spiral to mediocrity. I have zero tolerance for it.

So I will enjoy every last ounce of glory that comes from this current Alabama run, knowing how fleeting it is, and won't give one ounce of concern to whether or not fans of other teams are enjoying their Saturdays. I got along just fine when we were losing to Louisiana Tech. They will too.
Boy, I wish I could have said all that. You hit the nail on the head and put into words what most BAMA fans feel.

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
The problem to me is that most of these teams, in their attempts to chase Bama, have run off good coaches and now they don't even stand a chance of being a good second tier team. If you can't hang with the big boys it's okay to fight for a 9-3 season and a trip to the Outback Bowl. It really is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.