I just received my first Social Security retirement benefit (payment)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did look at it before I posted. Talk of raising the full retirement age and cutting a lot of social programs. Didn't specify SS cuts to those already signed on that I saw. Lot of generalities.

I'd love to see where this is indicated if you have the quote and link though. Thanks!
Accounting necessity, given the amount subtracted from the trust fund and the budget...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Accounting necessity, given the amount subtracted from the trust fund and the budget...
OK, thanks.

This is going to happen next year (2019) you say?

And the amount I am currently getting will go backwards, right?

I will keep this thread updated then for the purposes of accuracy.

And I will go on record today as stating the amount I am currently receiving - does not go backwards.

In the meantime, though....I'm going to enjoy this little bump....:)

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I did look at it before I posted. Talk of raising the full retirement age and cutting a lot of social programs. Didn't specify SS cuts to those already signed on that I saw. Lot of generalities.

I'd love to see where this is indicated if you have the quote and link though. Thanks!
Government assures us that they can get 20lbs of potatoes out of a 5lb sack. Our next generation will pay the piper. Hope you live long enough to get your and the employers match plus any interest. You will be one old codger before then :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I love your enthusiasm, Bazz, but remember the old saying, "There is no such thing as a free lunch".
There is however a “I got mine, screw you” lunch. ;)
I started working when I was still in Jr. High and continued all through High School. Left home at 17 to go to college at UF. I worked the entire time while I was going to school including summers. In fact, I stayed an extra year in college getting my BS in Agriculture after 5 years, just because I enjoyed working while going to school and wanted to make sure I had as much education as needed in my field to meet my expectations. I got a job right out of college working in the foliage industry in Central Florida and have been in the green industry ever since. That's a 41 year span and every single paycheck I contributed to Social Security and Federal Income Tax.

To imply that I'm getting a "free lunch" or "I have mine now screw you" is a gross injustice to the work ethic I have steadfastly followed my entire life.

Even while collecting SS, I continue to work and continue to feed the system.

I have contributed to society my entire life.

I am not a "taker"....I am a "giver".

On top of all this, I have bought and paid for two homes - both with mortgages - every monthly payment made on time - and as a single guy, I did it all myself with no help from anyone else.

On top of all of this I have helped people and animals out as much as possible all my life. As well as any friend who may have needed it.

I have also mentored many especially in helping with work ethic and career choices.

And I still run into students I taught during the 5 years I taught horticulture at the local community college and every single time they express appreciate for their time in my programs.

Whatever I get back - I earned.

Go after someone else - you're barking up the wrong tree here....

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I wasn’t attacking you or even talking about you directly. It was a generic joke about a mentality that is pervasive in a generation of people.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My username is the year I was born. Will Social Security outlive me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I started working when I was still in Jr. High and continued all through High School. Left home at 17 to go to college at UF. I worked the entire time while I was going to school including summers. In fact, I stayed an extra year in college getting my BS in Agriculture after 5 years, just because I enjoyed working while going to school and wanted to make sure I had as much education as needed in my field to meet my expectations. I got a job right out of college working in the foliage industry in Central Florida and have been in the green industry ever since. That's a 41 year span and every single paycheck I contributed to Social Security and Federal Income Tax.

To imply that I'm getting a "free lunch" or "I have mine now screw you" is a gross injustice to the work ethic I have steadfastly followed my entire life.

Even while collecting SS, I continue to work and continue to feed the system.

I have contributed to society my entire life.

I am not a "taker"....I am a "giver".

On top of all this, I have bought and paid for two homes - both with mortgages - every monthly payment made on time - and as a single guy, I did it all myself with no help from anyone else.

On top of all of this I have helped people and animals out as much as possible all my life. As well as any friend who may have needed it.

I have also mentored many especially in helping with work ethic and career choices.

And I still run into students I taught during the 5 years I taught horticulture at the local community college and every single time they express appreciate for their time in my programs.

Whatever I get back - I earned.

Go after someone else - you're barking up the wrong tree here....
This year, my self-employment tax will eat up about 75% of my SS benefits - and yet my contribution won't increase my benefits by one penny...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I wasn’t attacking you or even talking about you directly. It was a generic joke about a mentality that is pervasive in a generation of people.
I agree and this is what my comment alluded to also. No reflection on Bazz or anyone else. My point was that if (you, we) think the federal government is going to give (you, us,) anything that helps us financially without taking it away from someone else then where does it come from. My point.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I turned 64 in June and sometime last month made the decision to go ahead and apply for my SS retirement benefits.

Originally, I was going to wait for my full benefit when I turned 66, but ultimately decided for me, the time had come.

While I have not retired, I have made the decision to shrink the hamster wheel way down in size, and give myself more time to spend on things other than just work.

My first benefit arrived as a direct deposit on the 7th, 4 days ago, but I didn't realize it until just now.

I don't mind sharing - it's $1,467. Pretty close to average from what I understand.

For those of you not there yet.....keep running that hamster wheel.....it will be worth the wait.

I also wanted to add that the entire process of applying for my benefit was extremely easy - I did everything online plus had one brief phone call and one brief in person visit to the local SS office, both of which were safe guards to ensure I was legit.

Sure was nice seeing that money dropped into my bank account. Now all I have to do is stay alive long enough to enjoy it. :p

No SS check(s) for me since I dont pay into it. Congrats!

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I turn 66 next month. I'll be switched from SS disability to regular SS. This means my income from SS will drop by about $300 a month. I'll need to tweak my budget a bit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, thanks.

This is going to happen next year (2019) you say?

And the amount I am currently getting will go backwards, right?

I will keep this thread updated then for the purposes of accuracy.

And I will go on record today as stating the amount I am currently receiving - does not go backwards.

In the meantime, though....I'm going to enjoy this little bump....:)
"And then they came for me." It's a famous line. Remember it...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I think that's how I felt during the last administration when government mandated everyone have health care or face punishment.

I'm just grateful:
a) I'm a healthy person in general and haven't needed health care most of my life
b) I'm eligible for Medicare next June - because onece you reach 65....stuff DOES begin to wear out!

Of course....Medicare may be gone by then, according to what some are saying.....

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-bu...ecurity-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

McConnell is leading the charge to reduce entitlement payments to pay for the $1.5 trillion tax cut for the wealthy. This is pretty simple, if you lose revenue from taxes then you have to make it up from somewhere, which is precisely what I meant by "no such thing as a free lunch". If you don't understand this then I do not know what else to say.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.