Interesting Science Stuff

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
pics or it didn't happen
No great pictures from me. Some family members got better shots. One is a screenshot from a video that I shot and the other a still right before it started. Both are through a lens to filter most of the light out. Thought I would get better pics, but such is life.

Attachments

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Definitely "out of Austin".

If we are talking Austin TX, and if those are snow covered mountain crags in the background, then it would be "WAY out of Austin" 😁
That's what I thought. But the National Geographic post said Austin. I've never been there. Maybe I didn't look deep enough. It was somewhere though. After going back to look, I don't even think this one is from the recent 8th eclipse. Might be, but can't find it now.
I found it. And now many in the comments say FAKE. LOL

Last edited:

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005

Thank you, @NationalTitles18, for posting this. I found the whole piece very interesting.

Lamanai (about 7:30 into the program) is close to Orange Walk, Belize. It is one of the northern most sites in Belize.
I have walked most of that site. Amazing experience for me.

The part about how LIDAR technology has revolutionized that work was especially interesting to me.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thank you, @NationalTitles18, for posting this. I found the whole piece very interesting.

Lamanai (about 7:30 into the program) is close to Orange Walk, Belize. It is one of the northern most sites in Belize.
I have walked most of that site. Amazing experience for me.

The part about how LIDAR technology has revolutionized that work was especially interesting to me.
I have loved science of any kind from a young age. I am stoked when others share in my excitement. I would love to walk some of these sites.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Astronomers spot a massive ‘sleeping giant’ black hole less than 2,000 light-years from Earth

Astronomers have spotted the most massive known stellar black hole in the Milky Way galaxy after detecting an unusual wobble in space.

The so-called “sleeping giant,” named Gaia BH3, has a mass that is nearly 33 times that of our sun, and it’s located 1,926 light-years away in the Aquila constellation, making it the second-closest known black hole to Earth. The closest black hole is Gaia BH1, which is located about 1,500 light-years away and has a mass that is nearly 10 times that of our sun.

Reactions: dtgreg

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Another plug appears to have formed at the Ruang volcano. As a result, pressure is currently building up and could be released in a larger eruption than witnessed in the last 24 hours. While unlikely to come close in magnitude or intensity to the April 17th plinian eruption phase, this could still generate a 12 kilometer high eruption column and carries with it a potential tsunami risk. This video discusses the latest developments at Ruang, along with the possibility that the three regional islands are all vents on the rim of a hidden caldera.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads