Is there a Correlation Between New Clock Rules and Low Scoring?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Any school that doesn't fire their OC after yesterday's performance by Iowa's offense isn't serious about football.

But in all honesty, I've no idea how Kirk Ferentz has kept this job as long as he has. Heck, I've been saying THAT for a decade or more. He has to have incriminating evidence against multiple people - it's the only explanation.
He wins just enough to keep a job at a school that doesn’t really care about being better than average.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
They are averaging just over 21 pts per game.

Their OC is the son of their HC

It’s written into his contract that they must average 24 points per game or he’s fired at the end of the year. There are some caveats I think. He gets credit based upon number of wins too. And he also gets credit for NOTs.

But it will be interesting to watch play out.
But, is he more creative than Tommy Rees? Just kidding, just kidding .

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think so. Every drive is more valuable because you can't afford to punt 5 times a game knowing clock is running. It forces more teams to go for it on 4th down often. Yesterday we left 21 points on the field. The interceptions, bad snap and one drive where it was a mess. Accomplish that and it's a huge blow out and Bama scores over 40 points.
It does seem like more teams have been going for it on 4th down.

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010
It appears that CNS is ahead of the curve. How better to take advantage of the new rules than to upgrade the defense and begin developing a monster offensive line to wear the opposing defense out so you can run it down their throats in the 4th quarter. The clock keeps ticking and the other team feels a sense of panic. It worked in our favor yesterday. The key is to have a lead in the 4th quarter, while knowing that the running clock makes every possession more important. We have to get maximum production out of every possession. Please no more shotgun plays when we have 1st and goal inside the two-yard line. Run the ball and take the points.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I use to work in purchasing before I retired. In one of the marketing meetings I attended each week I heard a term used that I’ve never forgotten. The term was used concerning a packaging container of one of our company’s products. I noticed that the package was quite a bit larger than contents inside the box. It was then that I heard the term for the first time. The term was “perceived value”. I thought of the term when I saw this discussion thread. The basic meaning of “perceived value” is that you think you are getting more value than you actually are inside the box. I sort of think this term applies to college football these days😎

rolltd

3rd Team
Dec 15, 2010
It appears that CNS is ahead of the curve. How better to take advantage of the new rules than to upgrade the defense and begin developing a monster offensive line to wear the opposing defense out so you can run it down their throats in the 4th quarter. The clock keeps ticking and the other team feels a sense of panic. It worked in our favor yesterday. The key is to have a lead in the 4th quarter, while knowing that the running clock makes every possession more important. We have to get maximum production out of every possession. Please no more shotgun plays when we have 1st and goal inside the two-yard line. Run the ball and take the points.
Wish we had these clock rules in Knoxville last year

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I use to work in purchasing before I retired. In one of the marketing meetings I attended each week I heard a term used that I’ve never forgotten. The term was used concerning a packaging container of one of our company’s products. I noticed that the package was quite a bit larger than contents inside the box. It was then that I heard the term for the first time. The term was “perceived value”. I thought of the term when I saw this discussion thread. The basic meaning of “perceived value” is that you think you are getting more value than you actually are inside the box. I sort of think this term applies to college football these days😎
Could that not apply to so much more in our society today?

Great analogy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Through Week 3 in 2023, FBS games averaged 53.9 total points per game. Through Week 3 in 2022, that number was 56.3.
I'm a little surprised. The games I'm watching are decidedly lower scoring, but I realize there's still a lot of offenses generating points.

[

that may be true, but I can’t remember Top 25 / big game matchups in Recent years that were this low scoring.
These are the ones I'm watching I guess.

I wonder if there might be a slight correction by the rules committee after this year because I think the changes are impacting the game more than they thought.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think it's hangover from talent leaving top programs through the portal and incoming replacements not assimilating quickly enough.
Exactly my line of thought. Transfer at will (seemingly). NIL (pay for play). I am thinking Coach Sabin needs to forget regular recruiting (not exactly winning championships) and get all he can from the portal. We need to recruit four QBs because we have only one who can start and he is inconsistent. I hope we get some QBs who can start. I am thinking we have on the job training every year now so why not use the portal to get good experienced players.

Reactions: lowend

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He wins just enough to keep a job at a school that doesn’t really care about being better than average.
But they pay Ferentz as if they care ($7m annually) - I've never in my life seen someone so richly rewarded for literal mediocrity.

At this point I've zero respect for Iowa football - why should anyone care when they obviously don't even care.

Reactions: CB4

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't looked at the data but my gut tells me that we're seeing teams lose between 1-2 possessions per game in 2023.
Yes...it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't creep up above 2 toward 2.5.

Even OM seemed to go slower Sat. I don't know if it was more about trying to get in the right play since snaps are more valuable now. But in the past for teams like OM it was about how many plays they could run. But now a shorter game nullifies depth issues in the 4th quarter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My guess is by the end of season the clock change will cost each team one posession. It may not be that sever, but it could be true.
I think that may end up being the "average", but there are some non Bama games I've watched that bad clock management under these new clock rules and inefficient possessions, coupled with the other team putting together double-digit play scoring drives has cost teams more than one possession.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can guarantee you there are already offensive minded coaches thinking "if the new clock rules seem to limited offensive series, how can I manipulate the system and get more series than others?"

I started a new thread about that, but I think that'll be the next evolution.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads