Link: Jalen Milroe Working on His Throwing Mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Despite playing for a national champion, poor Leigh Tiffin never lived down three misfires against Arkansas. Milroe did play an outsized role in the Texas loss, yes, because he’s the guy everyone was watching and those picks were gag me style. Of course after the second one he did take us right back up the field, he didn’t give up.

He wasn’t the guy who:
- gave up 349 passing yards
- committed 10 penalties for 90 yards
- gave up 44 and 50-yard completions from Ewers

I know we like to search for someone to blame but it’s rarely the fault of one person. Scott Norwood missed the kick, but he wasn’t the one who blew a 12-3 lead either or gave up the points that put his team behind.

Tom Brady had the greatest passing
Yardage day in the history of the Super Bowl - in one of his losses.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Back to his mechanics, in the words of Saban, “don’t practice until you get it right, practice until you can’t get it wrong.”

The younger Mack coming in makes this even more imperative for Milroe. Why invest in a one year starter if the guy behind is progressing closely and has more years to play?

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Back to his mechanics, in the words of Saban, “don’t practice until you get it right, practice until you can’t get it wrong.”

The younger Mack coming in makes this even more imperative for Milroe. Why invest in a one year starter if the guy behind is progressing closely and has more years to play?
Jalen has the charisma and game experience but needs to learn the offense.

Mack (since you brought him up) lacks the experience but knows the offense. *

The real question will come down to who can get the football out of his hands accurately, on time, to the right receiver, move the chains and light up the scoreboard.

There was a lot of speculation about how the QB competition went last year. It may take years to know (or we may never know) but I feel CKD, as a QB developer, will do things the right way in this competition (and that's not saying CNS did it the wrong way) but I think having an offensive minded HC will cause this to go better!

*I'm just using JM and AM as examples, but who knows who might emerge in a true QB competition with TS and DL also in it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Despite playing for a national champion, poor Leigh Tiffin never lived down three misfires against Arkansas. Milroe did play an outsized role in the Texas loss, yes, because he’s the guy everyone was watching and those picks were gag me style. Of course after the second one he did take us right back up the field, he didn’t give up.

He wasn’t the guy who:
- gave up 349 passing yards
- committed 10 penalties for 90 yards
- gave up 44 and 50-yard completions from Ewers

I know we like to search for someone to blame but it’s rarely the fault of one person. Scott Norwood missed the kick, but he wasn’t the one who blew a 12-3 lead either or gave up the points that put his team behind.

Tom Brady had the greatest passing
Yardage day in the history of the Super Bowl - in one of his losses.
Do people really focus much on Kiffin missing those field goals?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Don't forget little ole Alabama.

I'm interested to see how Texas and OU adjust to the big time.
It would be great if that proved to be the case. If Alabama is going to compete that will need to retain a great receiver and have someone at QB who can deliver the ball. Think about a team that had Jeudy, Waddle and Ruggs on the outside, outstanding tight ends, Tua at QB and Sark at OC. I don't see a shadow of that on the horizon at Alabama.

IMO Texas will do just fine in the SEC. It does provide Georgia some more competition for sure.

BTW Did you see that Worthy set and all time record in the 40 during the combine. that will turn some heads!

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Is it really possible to change a quarterback or baseball pitchers mechanics at this stage in their life?

I look at Tim Tebow. They kept talking about seeing him change his mechanics, but that was never going to happen. Bad habits are hard to break.
Last year ESPN color commentator Jordan Rodgers did an excellent job of breaking down JM's fundamentals.

He contended most of his problems were due to bad footwork, especially his accuracy issues.

Now, that doesn't account for "pre snap and post snap reads." Those are much deeper and probably more of the issues he'll have to fix in order to succeed at a higher level, Bama and beyond.

Concerning actual throwing motion, JM's isn't as smooth as someone like Tua but I don't think the actual throwing motion is anywhere near the top of things to improve on.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Is it really possible to change a quarterback or baseball pitchers mechanics at this stage in their life?

I look at Tim Tebow. They kept talking about seeing him change his mechanics, but that was never going to happen. Bad habits are hard to break.
No. In fact, Tebow was exactly who I thought of when I saw this. You can try to unlearn bad habits, but the mechanics are what they are.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Last year ESPN color commentator Jordan Rodgers did an excellent job of breaking down JM's fundamentals.

He contended most of his problems were due to bad footwork, especially his accuracy issues.

Now, that doesn't account for "pre snap and post snap reads." Those are much deeper and probably more of the issues he'll have to fix in order to succeed at a higher level, Bama and beyond.

Concerning actual throwing motion, JM's isn't as smooth as someone like Tua but I don't think the actual throwing motion is anywhere near the top of things to improve on.
Exactly, his throwing motion is the last thing he should be working on.

Reactions: TD7 and Superdad

64 Grad

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 29, 2023
People often mention Hurts and Milroe together. I was never high on Hurts as a quarterback when he played at Alabama. Nobody was more surprised to see Hurts performance in 2022 with the Eagles than me. Watching him in 2023 makes me think he peaked in 2022, although Philadelphia is high on him. I hope he has a long and productive career. I have never been high on Milroe as a quarterback. Milroe may fit into DeBoer's offense since it seems to throw a lot of Hail Mary's with success in the middle of the game. I noticed this watching Washington play a few games last year. I really could not figure out how though plays were that successful. I wonder about the rate of success of those type plays in the SEC. Washington was never really in the game against Michigan. Quarterback had a bad game.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
C''mon man. It doesn't matter who has worst, average or better defense, the fact he did it, remained calm and made a right play. That's a QB. JM is a QB. He is definitely is good playing a QB, once the game slows down for him, He will be something special. Lot of people complained about Jalen Hurts and look at him where he is now. JM will be just fine.
When he ,JM, shows he can read a defense pre and post snap, make quick decisions, throw short/intermediate routes by throwing the receivers open and throw the ball away instead of taking unnecessary sacks I'll listen to others who think he is a great qb.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL

TBH, watching that video of Jalen's throwing motion should have been his natural throwing motion by the 7th or 8th grade. Jalen must not have had any coaching growing up to throw the ball. Probably from preschool up through high school, Jalen was just an out-and-out athlete and did not have to depend on his arm to win games.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
L Milroe may fit into DeBoer's offense since it seems to throw a lot of Hail Mary's with success in the middle of the game. I noticed this watching Washington play a few games last year. I really could not figure out how though plays were that successful.
Deboer’s offense isn’t a bunch of Hail Marys. It’s actually the reverse. A lot of his offense revolves around receivers finding open spaces within 15 yards. The guys you think about running this offense are Tom Brady and Tua. You rarely see the home run ball.

I really could not figure out how though plays were that successful. I wonder about the rate of success of those type plays in the SEC. Washington was never really in the game against Michigan. Quarterback had a bad game.
The game was 20-13 going into the 4th and could’ve easily have been 27-20 Washington if a receiver doesn’t miss a ball twice.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Tebow had a horrible throwing motion for a QB. He threw like he was throwing a baseball.

Milroe has some of the worst mechanics I've seen....throwing and footwork. Whomstever coached him when he was young must never have had him throw repetitively with proper mechanics. His arm motion is the least of his problems....its his footwork, which would get his hips and shoulders more in line with how they need to be.

Besides that....and a much bigger issue....is making pre-snap reads and seeing the field after the snap. Can he hit a slant consistently....not so far.

Like Milroe, Tebow was a freak athlete. Like Milroe, Tebow had bad mechanics in his throwing motion, but his tended to be more his arm while Milroe's is his entire body, feet to shoulders. Unlike Milroe, Tebow made enough pre-snap reads to not look overwhelmed. If I remember correctly, Tebow could hit slants and short passes.

TD7

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2017
At the risk of bringing a landslide of virtiol, how many of the people posting here about the intricacies of QB coaching/development actually have real experience in QB coaching/development?
✋️

Reactions: Con
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads