Katie Boyd Britt in US Senate Race for Shelby’s Seat

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In the first positive news I’ve seen on Alabama politics in a long time….Katie Boyd Britt entered the race to fill Richard Shelby’s US Senate seat.

She has some huge political assets, and some liabilities.

Good points:
- She’s brilliant, personable, and photogenic (I know that “photogenic” shouldn’t matter, but when you’re running for office in Alabama, it does).

- Britt could debate circles around Brooks….assuming he’s stupid enough to debate her at all. If he dodges her, he’s ducking a 37-year-old rookie. But if he doesn’t, he’ll get his clock cleaned.

- Nobody ever said Mo Brooks was smart, so I honestly don’t know what he’ll do. But it’ll be political theater either way.

- I first heard of Britt when she was Katie Boyd, working as a student in Dr. Witt’s office. He raved about her almost 20 years ago. If Robert Witt says she’s sharp, she’s sharp.

- Britt worked on Richard Shelby’s staff for several years, eventually rising to Chief of Staff.

- Richard Shelby wants her to be his successor.

- She’s been in the top political office she was eligible for — Governor of Girls State. President of the SGA in Tuscaloosa. Then on to law practice, Shelby’s staff, and until yesterday, the President of the Alabama Business Council.

- Whereas Mo Brooks’ and Kathryn Blanchard’s entire platforms will be, “I love Donald Trump,” I’d be shocked if Katie Britt utters Trump’s name except when there’s no getting around it.

- I think Katie will be able to walk the incredibly fine line, and be independent of Trump, without alienating the part of the Republican Party that is disgusted with his grandstanding, lies and arrogance. Best case is that Brooks and Blanchard split the loony wing of the party, and Britt gets everything else.

- It doesn’t hurt that she’s married to Wesley Britt, former Alabama and New England Patriot Offensive Tackle.

Vulnerabilities:
- She’s never held truly public elected office. But then, neither has Kathryn Blanchard — she’s only been Trump’s Ambassador to Slovenia (Melania’s native country).

- Britt is only 37. That could also be a strength.

- She doesn’t have name recognition….yet. She will. But then again, neither does Kathryn Blanchard.

- Her candidacy is an uphill climb in any event, and needs Richard Shelby’s vocal, enthusiastic, and constant support on both the campaign and fund-raising trails. Shelby, however, just turned 87, and I’m not sure what kind of energy he has for that task.

- It’s possible that she doesn’t really expect to win, and is running here to build name recognition, and her real aim is another office in some later election cycle. If so, the populace will pick up on that and she’ll be doomed this go-round.

- Plus, the “name recognition” game is a gamble. A candidate can lose once and be elected to that office or another one later. If a candidate loses twice, that stink kind of rubs off, and it’s really hard to win a third race.

- Biggest vulnerability — at least in part because of never having run for a truly public office, and not having name recognition, she doesn’t have much of a campaign fund. Mo Brooks definitely does, and an article I read said that Kathryn Blanchard lent her own campaign $5 million.

Acknowledging vulnerabilities, I finally have somebody I can support.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
In the first positive news I’ve seen on Alabama politics in a long time….Katie Boyd Britt entered the race to fill Richard Shelby’s US Senate seat.

She has some huge political assets, and some liabilities.

Good points:
- She’s brilliant, personable, and photogenic (I know that shouldn’t matter, but when you’re running for office in Alabama, it does).
- Britt could debate circles around Brooks….assuming he’s stupid enough to debate her. If he dodges her, he’s ducking a 37-year-old rookie. But if he doesn’t, he’ll get his clock cleaned.
- Nobody ever said Mo Brooks was smart, so I honestly don’t know what he’ll do. But it will be political theater either way.
- I first heard of Britt when she was Katie Boyd, working as a student in Dr. Witt’s office. He raved about her almost 20 years ago. If Robert Witt says she’s sharp, she’s sharp.
- Britt worked on Richard Shelby’s staff for several years, eventually rising to Chief of Staff.
- Richard Shelby wants her to be his successor.
- She’s been in the top political office she was eligible for — Governor of Girls State. President of the SGA in Tuscaloosa. Then on to law practice, Shelby’s staff, and until yesterday, the President of the Alabama Business Council.
- Whereas Mo Brooks’ and Kathryn Blanchard’s entire platforms will be, “I love Donald Trump,” I’d be shocked if Katie Britt utters Trump’s name except when there’s no getting around it.
- I think Katie will be able to walk the incredibly fine line, and be independent of Trump, without alienating the part of the Republican Party that is disgusted with his grandstanding, lies and arrogance. Best case is that Brooks and Blanchard split the loony wing of the party, and Britt gets everything else.
- It doesn’t hurt that she’s married to Wesley Britt, former Alabama and New England Patriot Offensive Tackle.

Vulnerabilities:
- She’s never held truly public elected office. But then, neither has Kathryn Blanchard — she’s only been Trump’s Ambassador to Slovenia (Melania’s native country).
- Britt is only 37. That could also be a strength.
- She doesn’t have name recognition….yet. She will. But then again, neither does Kathryn Blanchard.
- Her candidacy is an uphill climb in any event, and needs Richard Shelby’s vocal, enthusiastic, and constant support on both the campaign and fund-raising trails. Shelby, however, just turned 87, and I’m not sure what kind of energy he has for that task.
- It’s possible that she doesn’t really expect to win, and is running here to get her name out. If so, the populace will pick up on that and she’ll be doomed this go-round.
- Biggest vulnerability — at least in part because of never having run for a truly public office, and not having name recognition, she doesn’t have much of a campaign fund. Mo Brooks definitely does, and an article I read said that Kathryn Blanchard lent her own campaign $5 million.

Acknowledging vulnerabilities, I finally have somebody I can support.
She is a Republican she won't get through the primary without completely bowing down to Trump. Period.

it is what they are, they are who they are.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
She is a Republican she won't get through the primary without completely bowing down to Trump. Period.

Yep.

The litmus test USED to be "are you for overturning Roe v Wade" (which was also short-sighted but even Atwater had enough brains to set that aside under the Big Tent strategy).

Now it's, "Do you swear allegiance to Donald Trump, and will you take the Trump-merta oath?"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I saw an article about her candidacy on Yellowhammer News’ Facebook page. All the comments about her were negative. If that crowd opposes her, that is reason enough for me to vote for her.

I don’t know what future office she could go for. Ivey and Ainsworth have both said they are running again. Tubby isn’t going anywhere, so that seat is out until at least 2032. Maybe AG or Secretary of State in 2026.

Reactions: MobtownK

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
It seems that anyone that hasn't distanced themselves from the term 'Republican' by this point doesn't understand what moderate means.
But if you ask Joe Manchin, a moderate is someone who wants to be bipartisan, even though the people you are dealing with have no intention of ever being bipartisan.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think it was WSFA that did a quick sound bite with her the other day. All she mention was "protecting our freedoms, protecting our way of life and our culture, blah, blah, blah. Typical GOP lines, more of the same Trump undertones without saying Trump. That's a no vote for me.
unfortunately for her, the standard g.o.p. dog-whistles coming from a nice, christian conservative southern lady aren't going to cut it anymore, she needs a full bat poop crazy klaxon horn. and it has to be crazier and more overflowing with bat poop than all of the other candidates' horns.

Reactions: twofbyc and Jon

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I’m not so sure. Hoping that, with some time to reflect, a majority of Republican voters are (or will be) as disgusted with that wing of the party as I am.

Here’s an article that gives me hope. Granted, it’s New Jersey, not Alabama, but two candidates who tied themselves closely to Trump lost the Republican primary to the one who went as far as he felt he could in the opposite direction.

He probably won’t unseat the Democrat incumbent, but he did win the nomination running on a classic (i.e., pre-Trump) platform.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m not so sure. Hoping that, with some time to reflect, a majority of Republican voters are (or will be) as disgusted with that wing of the party as I am.

Here’s an article that gives me hope. Granted, it’s New Jersey, not Alabama, but two candidates who tied themselves closely to Trump lost the Republican primary to the one who went the opposite direction.

What's funny (no snark intended) is the bold generally speaking is how I've felt about the GOP since February 2016. From the "they're going with Trump because they're mad at the establishment GOP" all the way through some amorphous "they" stealing the election from Trump, this has been one of those "reveal just how bad we can really be" eras of politics.

But when Murphy gets re-elected, guess who will be there to say, "See, if only you'd listened to Trump, you would have won," and we're back at square one.

The GOP KNEW who Donald Trump was when they first cowered in fear that he'd run as a third -party candidate as a revenge move to get Hillary elected.

They're STILL cowering in fear of a man who has fewer (less?) balls than a three-pitch strikeout.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Here’s an article that gives me hope. Granted, it’s New Jersey, not Alabama, but two candidates who tied themselves closely to Trump lost the Republican primary to the one who went as far as he felt he could in the opposite direction.

He probably won’t unseat the Democrat incumbent, but he did win the nomination running on a classic (i.e., pre-Trump) platform.
The present GOP should be named "The Insurrection Party." The Viking's attorney's characterization of them as the "short bus people" is an insult to the disabled...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.