Let the Madness begin - How Bama makes it to the playoffs…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
argue what you want or for any team in the country, not just BAMA, but if anyone really feels or believes that tcu is one of the 4 best teams in the country, please send me some of those games you have been watching

also tired of the talk I want a tcu person, preferably bamaingeorgia81, to step up and put their money where their mouth is I take the field they get tcu at 3 to 1 odds, they are #3 so I like it lol…5k minimum bet to pay 15k if tcu wins it all

if you cannot tell there is an underlying agenda I am having a seminar for buying coastal land in the everglades that I would like to send you an evite

BAMA may not deserve to be there in many peoples eyes but IMO there are several and I mean several teams better than tcu and to put them at #3?

be honest if there were a contest and you had to pick the winner for 15 million dollars if you lose you lose 100k and you cannot watch your football team for a year and your pickem contest were these games who are you taking?

* disclaimer…ksu beat tcu with their backup qb and lost their #1wr during the game

BAMA vs tcu
osu vs tcu
tenner vs tcu
clemp vs tcu
utah vs tcu
usc vs tcu
psu vs tcu
ksu vs tcu
olesiss vs tcu
lsu vs tcu

** I do not want jawjaw to win so having to play the best the b10 has to offer and the overall best b10 passing in osu, lswho put up 500yds and osu has a better passing attack, and meech the overall best b10 running style team does not hurt my feelings but with tcu being #3 jawjaw has to be ****ed I mean anyone who thinks tcu is better than osu needs an evite to the seminar so please pass along their email 😂😂😂

RTR

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
lol, well this thread was fun. If fun is a synonym for absurd and delusional lol. As I have been mentioning all along, TCU was never even in jeopardy and them being #3 goes to show that. There was never any "alabama or TCU discussion" going into their big12 title game.

Let's get back to the playoffs next year. But this year we just didn't do even close to enough relative to the top 4 teams, *even if* I would pick us to beat at least one of those teams in a hypothetical future matchup. This is also good reminder that playoff bids and national titles aren't awarded based on who would likely be favored over the other team in a hypothetical future matchup, but rather on the season's accomplishments.
Well stated. Agreed. We had our chances and didn’t come thru and we really never looked like a top 4 team. I agree the rankings are correct based on the full season.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Why does TCU’s conference championship loss get voided, but not USC’s? The bias is terrible. So many mental gymnastics necessary to keep Alabama out.
I don’t like TCU not getting punished for a loss any more than you do. And any other year they would have been. But this isn’t a normal year.

Had USC won, they’d have jumped to #3 and TCU fallen to #4. Hell, had Clemson been a 1 loss team, the way they beat the brakes off of UNC, they likely move ahead of TCU as well. But neither happened, and Bama/OSU were sitting at home with no additional shot to impress the committee.

So I don’t see this as a story of the committee absolving TCU’s loss. I see this as a case that no one behind #3 was close enough going into the week and then capitalized on getting past them.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Well stated. Agreed. We had our chances and didn’t come thru and we really never looked like a top 4 team. I agree the rankings are correct based on the full season.
I will also say if you compare each teams most impressive games thru the season, I think TCU probably has more than we do. At this point our most impressive performances are two close losses. We didn’t really beat any good teams by impressive margins. Mississippi state was our best win.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the difference between 1 and 2 losses is great. You are the one hand waving that away.
It's the same distance as undefeated and one loss - but who am I to argue with THIS logic.

The only way Alabama had any chance to possibly pass TCU is if they had the same number of losses, or had substantially more bigtime wins to make up for the 1 extra loss. But alabama doesn't have substantially better wins compared to TCU's resume.....in fact they don't even match tcu for that. That's why this was rightfully a no-brainer.
the only no-brainer is that you've lost all credibility by coming onto Tidefans and PRETENDING to be an Alabama fan.

Which is why we're all laughing at your comments - but I guess you can go roll Toomer's tonight in Barn ecstasy now that your Daddy didn't get the big promotion.

As for the 'bryce young was significantly injured' argument, he played *brilliantly* in the tennessee game.
Which doesn't make his injury any less, but whatever.

It was his best game of the year. He was making bigtime plays out of the pocket literally all game. So I have a hard time putting too much stock into that when he was so great in that game......
Well, I'm not making that argument, but you're also not being consistent here since you want to go with the "barely beat Texas A/M" argument while ignoring the fact Bryce didn't play, too.

Now TCU may well go out and lose by 30 to Michigan. And I would have picked the Alabama Michigan game to be a tossup.
Of course you would, Moo.

But even if TCU loses by a thousand points to michigan that doesn't mean anything about the committee's decision(and again, there was really no decision anyways.......there was no possible way the committee could have justified putting us in).......
Who's this "us" of whom you speak?

My God, dude, give it a rest.

I have less respect for you coming here and being a pretentious poster than I would if you were a Tennessee fan who at least was honest about turning Alabama into the NCAA because Phil told you to do so.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
it was essentially determined on the field. TCU's season speaks to that. Had Ohio State lost either the ND game or the Penn State game, their on the field resume/performance would have been similar to ours at 10-2 and a lack of signature wins. But they didn't lose that game; they whooped penn state on the road, and that's why they got the 4 slot.

out of all the previous playoff seedings, this was almost certainly the easiest that they've ever had to do(in terms of selecting the 4, and even probably the order). Which is why there was no drama or suspense going into the announcement today. Hell I didn't even watch it live.
You're persistent, I'll give ya that.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don’t like TCU not getting punished for a loss any more than you do. And any other year they would have been. But this isn’t a normal year.

Had USC won, they’d have jumped to #3 and TCU fallen to #4. Hell, had Clemson been a 1 loss team, the way they beat the brakes off of UNC, they likely move ahead of TCU as well. But neither happened, and Bama/OSU were sitting at home with no additional shot to impress the committee.

So I don’t see this as a story of the committee absolving TCU’s loss. I see this as a case that no one behind #3 was close enough going into the week and then capitalized on getting past them.
Losing late in the year has to be more severe because of trash conferences like the big 12 and pac 12, as it may be the only time those teams play another team worth a flip. That’s my issue.

Selective application enhances bias.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Lot of negativity on this board today. There is a blessing here. Hard to make fundamental changes and get to real introspection while preparing for the playoff. We need to seal the deal on the recruiting trail, refocus on getting back to a more physical playing style and bring in the coaches that will help us get there. Changes need to be made.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Lot of negativity on this board today. There is a blessing here. Hard to make fundamental changes and get to real introspection while preparing for the playoff. We need to seal the deal on the recruiting trail, refocus on getting back to a more physical playing style and bring in the coaches that will help us get there. Changes need to be made.
I am still not convinced that changes are coming.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
love the way some of these pundits now talking about how tough BAMA’s schedule was and the way the losses occurred and Bryce’s injury etc…all this fake bs love now that the decision is over…yesterday and last night their fear that we may get in all they did was continually talk about how much we did not belong and tcu should be in nothing was talked about tcu getting beat by ksu playing with their backup qb etc…if they had to bet their jobs on picking between BAMA tcu or tcu and the rest of the top 10, wonder if their tune would change…easy to talk when you have no skin in the game so to speak…next year 12 team playoff is going to solve this…also they deterred playing cupcakes and said teams would be rewarded for playing tougher competition overall but saying the b12 is the same competitive level this year as the sec is a stretch even for a delusional fan…apples to apples not apples to oranges

* my primary argument problem is that in no way, shape, form, or fashion is tcu anywhere near the #3 team in the country or one of the best 4 teams in the country IMO

RTR

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
yes, seeing as how my work is done and it played out exactly how I said(that TCU didn't even fall below
Ohio State), I will likely exit this thread lol.....
It's a bit interesting that you joined this forum the day of the Auburn game (Nov.26. 2022) and your only posts since appear to be to tell us Alabama never had any chance at a playoff spot and all of us were fools to think otherwise. A few positive posts about Alabama wouldn't hurt once in a while.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
love the way some of these pundits now talking about how tough BAMA’s schedule was and the way the losses occurred and Bryce’s injury etc…all this fake bs love now that the decision is over…yesterday and last night their fear that we may get in all they did was continually talk about how much we did not belong and tcu should be in nothing was talked about tcu getting beat by ksu playing with their backup qb etc…if they had to bet their jobs on picking between BAMA tcu or tcu and the rest of the top 10, wonder if their tune would change…easy to talk when you have no skin in the game so to speak…next year 12 team playoff is going to solve this…also they deterred playing cupcakes and said teams would be rewarded for playing tougher competition overall but saying the b12 is the same competitive level this year as the sec is a stretch even for a delusional fan…apples to apples not apples to oranges

* my primary argument problem is that in no way, shape, form, or fashion is tcu anywhere near the #3 team in the country or one of the best 4 teams in the country IMO

RTR
they know what happens when bama fan base boycotts them

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So here is what I see as irony in all this: so TCU loses, but whether swayed by “honest analysis” (cough, cough), or “perception”, the committee decides “we’ll keep TCU at three because that is the fair thing to do”.
So what would be the tougher match up for #1 seed UGA in the semifinal - TCU or tOSU? I don’t know what oddsmakers would say but IMO it is tOSU. They certainly have the superior talent to match up with UGA.
So “we gotta be fair to TCU and leave at three” may have actually screwed UGA (not that I have any love lost on UGA).

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Losing late in the year has to be more severe because of trash conferences like the big 12 and pac 12, as it may be the only time those teams play another team worth a flip. That’s my issue.

Selective application enhances bias.
I agree in general. Unfortunately rankings are situational, and this is how the situation played out. By that same logic, you can’t reward Ohio St by moving them up to #3 because they got decimated at home their last game of the season. They should be punished for that too, right?

My hot take is that this season would have been perfect for a BCS model, or a 12 team playoff. But this is the worst possible scenario for a 4 team playoff.

There are two clear top teams in UGA/UM, then a cluster of like 6-7 teams that were solid with imperfect resumes. And either all of them deserve a shot, or none of them do.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
It's the same distance as undefeated and one loss - but who am I to argue with THIS logic.

the only no-brainer is that you've lost all credibility by coming onto Tidefans and PRETENDING to be an Alabama fan.

Which is why we're all laughing at your comments - but I guess you can go roll Toomer's tonight in Barn ecstasy now that your Daddy didn't get the big promotion.

Which doesn't make his injury any less, but whatever.

Well, I'm not making that argument, but you're also not being consistent here since you want to go with the "barely beat Texas A/M" argument while ignoring the fact Bryce didn't play, too.

Of course you would, Moo.

Who's this "us" of whom you speak?

My God, dude, give it a rest.

I have less respect for you coming here and being a pretentious poster than I would if you were a Tennessee fan who at least was honest about turning Alabama into the NCAA because Phil told you to do so.
giphy.gif

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree in general. Unfortunately rankings are situational, and this is how the situation played out. By that same logic, you can’t reward Ohio St by moving them up to #3 because they got decimated at home their last game of the season. They should be punished for that too, right?

My hot take is that this season would have been perfect for a BCS model, or a 12 team playoff. But this is the worst possible scenario for a 4 team playoff.

There are two clear top teams in UGA/UM, then a cluster of like 6-7 teams that were solid with imperfect resumes. And either all of them deserve a shot, or none of them do.
It’s not a reward, losing is a punishment, someone just had to fill their void. That would be Alabama and Ohio State.

The issue I have is that this loss didn’t result in dropping, while every other loss (and some close victories) throughout the year have resulted in that team falling in the rankings.

play a terrible schedule and lose your conference championship and still make the playoff, that’s what I’m arguing against.

This is Clemson west, only they lost their championship

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
lol.....no. That's not the way words work. They were likely punished for that loss relative to how their entire season was viewed. It just wasn't enough to drop them below Ohio State since their advantage over Ohio State was already fairly substantial.

That shouldn't be a hard concept to understand. It absolutely doesn't mean the committee 'voided' that loss.
It absolutely does. Go visit the CFP website. conference championships is one of the most heavily weighted criteria (supposedly) in the committee’s own stated measures. Yet TCU loses a conference championship game and it “doesn’t matter”? Conference championships mean something until the committee worries about a “perception of fairness” to the extent they can minimize it or throw it out completely.

Here is the stated criteria. Look at the very first one:

“The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:

Conference championships won,

Strength of schedule,

Head‐to‐head competition,

Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incentivizing margin of victory), and,

Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

So literally losing the championship game had no effect and was meaningless as TCU lost to 9-3 team.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So here is what I see as irony in all this: so TCU loses, but whether swayed by “honest analysis” (cough, cough), or “perception”, the committee decides “we’ll keep TCU at three because that is the fair thing to do”.
So what would be the tougher match up for #1 seed UGA in the semifinal - TCU or tOSU? I don’t know what oddsmakers would say but IMO it is tOSU. They certainly have the superior talent to match up with UGA.
So “we gotta be fair to TCU and leave at three” may have actually screwed UGA (not that I have any love lost on UGA).
And they don’t want a rematch so soon.

Reactions: Tidelines and CB4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.