Let's talk brisket

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Ok so going for NYE bowl game brisket #2 after last year seemed to be pretty good luck. Plan on making a Costco run and picking up the smallest Prime brisket they have over 10lbs since that is about all my KJ will handle. Franklin's rub 50/50 16 mesh BP and Salt. Hickory wood with a little pecan. Wrap with butcher paper when it hits 175 internal temp.

Here is what I'm doing different this year.

1. Trim less fat. I think I got too much off last time.
2. Cook fat side down to protect from heat.
3. Cook at higher temp. I did closer to 230 last year. Think I'm going 250 this year to help render said fat.

Other thoughts.

Do you guys inject?

Reactions: BamaLuver

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Cooked a 15lb prime brisket for Christmas lunch. I upped my temp to 250 this time and got really good results. I don’t inject and my rub is pretty simple- salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Used a mixture of fruitwood & hardwoods for smoke. Pulled it off at 205*. It was fantastic. Adding sauce would’ve been an insult to that glorious piece of meat.

I’ve done both fat side up and down and gotten good results.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I’ve done both fat side up and down and gotten good results.
What kind of smoker do you use? I could see with something like an offset it wouldn’t matter, but the Kamado’s have the heat below. The bark last time I did it for super hard/dry on the side near the heat source.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
What kind of smoker do you use? I could see with something like an offset it wouldn’t matter, but the Kamado’s have the heat below. The bark last time I did it for super hard/dry on the side near the heat source.
WSM which also has heat below. Like you said you probably trimmed too much fat off the brisket

In addition to your heat deflector plate you might put a pan of water there to deflect heat. If you’re not doing that already.

Also, WSM = Weber Smokey Mountain. I’ve used all kinds of smokers. Only one I haven’t tried is a pellet cooker and I always come back to this one. I’m on my third one. Sold my others. Took no time at all to find a buyer

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I've owned one before ;)

I may try this. Not sure I can get a disposable aluminum pan that holds enough water to last the night though. I usually just set my BBQ Guru and go to bed.
I wondered if you’d have enough room too. Trade off might not be worth it since you’d have to open the lid often to refill it..

BBQ Guru? Cheater 😆

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I wondered if you’d have enough room too. Trade off might not be worth it since you’d have to open the lid often to refill it..

BBQ Guru? Cheater 😆
There really isn't much clearance on the Kamado Joe with the deflector plate on the lower position. I might be able to get 3 small disposable aluminum casserole pans under there, but definitely can't get one of the larger size ones they sell at Publix.

You say cheater. I say lazy. Back in my WSM days, nothing like the alarm on my Maverick thermometer going off in the middle of the night and having to go out and mess with the vents or kick the bottom to knock ashed off the coals. I like my sleep. Bought my guru about a year ago and has been one of the best things buys ever.

Reactions: BAMAFAN IN NY

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Man beef has gone up. Last Semi Final game I cooked a prime brisket and sent a pic of the price to a friend because he didn't believe me when I told him the price. It was $2.69/lb for prime packer Dec 2020. Just bought one and it was $4.89/lb.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
There really isn't much clearance on the Kamado Joe with the deflector plate on the lower position. I might be able to get 3 small disposable aluminum casserole pans under there, but definitely can't get one of the larger size ones they sell at Publix.

You say cheater. I say lazy. Back in my WSM days, nothing like the alarm on my Maverick thermometer going off in the middle of the night and having to go out and mess with the vents or kick the bottom to knock ashed off the coals. I like my sleep. Bought my guru about a year ago and has been one of the best things buys ever.
Never had that experience with a WSM (consistenUsually set the dampers and don’t do much after. BBQ Gurus were initially made for them. Checked their website for the first time today in a long time & didn’t realize they were available now for so many cookers.

Regarding price- the prime brisket I bought two weeks ago was $5.23/lb. I almost passed out from sticker shock. It was with it though.

here’s a pic of the one I did for Christmas-

36DFB3C9-1961-48A9-BBC6-7FED130B142A.jpeg

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I use a Pizza stone on a grate 4" under my meat. Causes meat to cook a little slower, but I don't have a dry side. Also I wrap a little longer. My last cook was at 275 degrees. Turned out great.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
WSM which also has heat below. Like you said you probably trimmed too much fat off the brisket

In addition to your heat deflector plate you might put a pan of water there to deflect heat. If you’re not doing that already.

Also, WSM = Weber Smokey Mountain. I’ve used all kinds of smokers. Only one I haven’t tried is a pellet cooker and I always come back to this one. I’m on my third one. Sold my others. Took no time at all to find a buyer
Love the WSM. One thing about the WSM though.. if you’re using water in the water pan, the heat travels around the water pan, up the sides and down from the dome.. it’s actually hotter at the top of the meat than the bottom.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Love the WSM. One thing about the WSM though.. if you’re using water in the water pan, the heat travels around the water pan, up the sides and down from the dome.. it’s actually hotter at the top of the meat than the bottom.
That’s correct. I don’t rely on the built in thermometer for that reason.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I don't do brisket--I love it, but there's only three of us, so it's a bit much. I have taken to tri-tip as a small-scale substitute:

View attachment 28254

Did this one for the Utah State game--probably should have pulled it about 5 degrees sooner, but it was good...
I tried my first one of these recently. It was dang good and really easy.
IMG_7581.jpg

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I use the Weber summit kamado now. My absolute favorite thing to cook on. I sold all my other grills. Weber genesis, Weber kettle, WSM 18 and 22 inch, Oklahoma Joe’s reverse flow offset, and a Traeger. I only have the 1 grill now and it does everything.

141001F5-308C-496F-ADDF-143F7D7433F3.jpeg
00872ACF-9DCF-4F22-8C4E-E73360007168.jpeg

Reactions: BhamToTexas

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.