Let's talk some Bourbon, Whiskey & Scotch

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
My go-to for single-malt has always been a Glenlivet 12 Year - inexpensive, consistent, and good enough. However, a buddy of mine recently turned me onto a new favorite: Balvenie 12 Year Doublewood, matured first in traditional whiskey oak and then in sherry oak casks. Either the sherry casks steal most of the smoke or it didn't have too much to start with but I love it.

The way I drink it I call sorta neat. :) I have a set of stainless steel, Crimson Tide Whiskey Stones, similar to the ones below, and I use those instead of ice. Good whiskey usually needs a little water but ice is too inconsistent for me. I put three of these stones in the glass, add a few drops of purified water so the whiskey can bloom, and then scotch to taste. It's nice and cool and I can take as much time as I want with it without it getting too watered down.

You might try an ice sphere. You can get rubber molds for a sphere about 2 or 2.5 inches in diameter. They’re pretty cheap — a set of two for $10 to $15. It’s a good compromise on cold vs. water. They look cool, too.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we got a nice bottle of chattanooga whiskey single batch on our last visit there. it was a "southern style high malt". we did the tasting tour and really enjoyed it.

also got a bottle of high west whiskey, american prairie (blend) from some friends that is pretty good.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
My personal favorites are all from the island of Islay (pronounced EYE-la), just off the southwest coast of Scotland.

Lagavulin (LAGGA-voo-lin), Laphroaig (la-FROIG) and Ardbeg (ARD-beg), are all great, especially on a cold winter night. They're similar to one another in that they're all heavy peat and smoke and sea air. Almost like drinking cold, wet smoke, except you can smell the sea as well. Very different from anything else in Scotland. Flavor is really strong, though unless you get into one of the specialty bottlings, the alcohol content is the same as all of them.

They admittedly can be an acquired taste, and therefore a bit of a reach for beginners, but the reach is worth it. If the regular bottling is just too demanding, Ardbeg makes one called Ardbeg Uigeadail (OOO-gee-dal), which is double-matured in sherry casks, and that takes some of the peat out. Lagavulin makes a double-matured, too. Not sure about Laphroaig.

Talisker (TAL-iss-ker) is from the Isle of Skye and my favorite non-Islay. It has some of the smoke and peat and ocean, but not quite as much as the Islays. Distinguishing factor is a blast of black pepper on the finish.

If I'm going for a softer presentation, say a Speyside, my favorite is Glenmorangie (glen-MAHR-un-jee).

A lot of people swear by Macallan's, but it's not my style. Too sweet. If I want that, I want a good bourbon. To each his own, I guess.

None of this stuff is cheap. But it's sipping whiskey, so you don't mix it with anything except maybe a few drops of water. Point being, you don't slug it back....you sip and savor it. So it takes longer to run through a bottle. So while the initial purchase isn't fun, if you amortize it over the life of the bottle, it isn't nearly so bad.

I like mine on the rocks -- the melting ice supplies the water, and I like it cold. Some think that anything other than straight is blasphemy, but I don't care. I like it the way I like it.

I will offer two things:

First, if you really like your scotch mixed with water or soda, don't waste your money on a single malt -- stick with a good solid blend. Johnnie Walker and Dewar's are fine choices. Monkey Shoulder is an outstanding blend, but a bit harder to find.

With a single malt, you're paying for distinctiveness. If you dilute it with 2-3 ounces of water or soda, you're destroying the very thing you paid extra for.

Second, I personally don't pay for age. With a single malt, the standard aging for most, not all, is 10 years. If you pay for the 15, it's a lot more. If you pay for the 25, it's through the nose. And it isn't all that much better. Maybe not even as good. Definitely has snob appeal, and people will fall all over it. But I promise if you put them side by side in a blind tasting, they won't know.
I like the first 2 you mentioned.

I'm a huge fan of Glenmorangie 16. And while I was in Ireland they had different varieties of Jameson. Here it's just "Jameson" - you get what you get. But there I tried a 16 and a "Gold Label". I brought bottles of the gold label back. I enjoy Macallan and Glenlivet as well.

Don't know bourbon super well but I have had Four Roses and the big names that have been mentioned.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I like the first 2 you mentioned.

I'm a huge fan of Glenmorangie 16. And while I was in Ireland they had different varieties of Jameson. Here it's just "Jameson" - you get what you get. But there I tried a 16 and a "Gold Label". I brought bottles of the gold label back. I enjoy Macallan and Glenlivet as well.

Don't know bourbon super well but I have had Four Roses and the big names that have been mentioned.
The Four Roses Single Barrel I have pictured in this thread is one of my favorites for the price. The smoked vanilla smell and taste profile is amazing. No way I'd recommend drinking this any other way than neat or at most with one medium/small cube of ice. Stuff is too good to do anymore to it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First time visiting this board in literally years. I like tasting different Bourbons, Whiskeys and Scotch. I would love to hear some of y'alls preferences, recommendations and just general comments.
I was in Grandma's Saloon and Grill in Duluth, Minnesota drowning my sorrows the night we lost the Iron Bowl.

Tried the Johnny Walker Black that night. Had tried the red before.

When we passed our Joint Commission survey in February, I went with the co-workers to BJ's and tossed back some Glenlivet straight.

I'm sitting here right now with a Jim Beam black mixed whatever (I can't exactly read it).

After many years of reading about all the bad things that can happen to you from drinking, I made an important decision: I gave up reading.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was in Grandma's Saloon and Grill in Duluth, Minnesota drowning my sorrows the night we lost the Iron Bowl.

Tried the Johnny Walker Black that night. Had tried the red before.

When we passed our Joint Commission survey in February, I went with the co-workers to BJ's and tossed back some Glenlivet straight.

I'm sitting here right now with a Jim Beam black mixed whatever (I can't exactly read it).

After many years of reading about all the bad things that can happen to you from drinking, I made an important decision: I gave up reading.
I'm happy for you, Selma. The fact that bad things can happen from drinking too much, too often, in the wrong setting, doesn't change the equally factual assessment: Taken in moderation, good drink is one of life's great joys, making for almost infinite pleasure and tons of camaraderie.

Taken to the occasional (slight) excess, it can soothe a hurt heart, make success truly memorable, and seal friendships for a lifetime.

It does have a downside that has been hashed at great and deserved length. But so long as you aren't susceptible to the darkest parts, and don't enjoy it too much, in the wrong set of circumstances, it is one of the wonderful things about being alive.

Explore, experiment, and find your own favorites.

As Benjamin Franklin said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The wife has been interested in working yup to sipping whiskey. I'm introducing initially via whiskey sours and smashes. The two whiskeys that were recommended are single barrel four roses and buffalo trace.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The wife has been interested in working yup to sipping whiskey. I'm introducing initially via whiskey sours and smashes. The two whiskeys that were recommended are single barrel four roses and buffalo trace.

Clyde Mays is a good stepping stone. Really distinctive caramel, maybe not as complex as Four Roses or Buffalo Trace, but not nearly as expensive.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I restock my liquor cabinet every November. I'll be getting another bottle of the Four Roses Single Barrel. Will try to find some Weller 12 and may try out some Buffalo Trace. I've read a lot of good reviews on it. But I always keep my Makers Mark 1.75 as my go to. I just like it. LOL!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This is my "on hand" for entertaining guest. The only cool thing in three of the single barrel Jack that myself and some friends actually purchased the entire barrel of.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
How do you like the Buffalo Trace? How does it compare to the Four Roses? I read a lot of good reviews about it.
I don't drink, they were both for the wife. She wants to get into whiskeys despite being very anti-whiskey.

She said that she preferred four roses, as it was decidedly less dry. I asked her to expound regarding taste. She said, "they taste like whiskey."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I was recently going through some of my Dad's things and came across a few unopened bottles of Scotch and was wondering if anyone could help me identify if they are of Good Quality.

I'm also thinking about trying one of them (maybe this evening after the Alabama/Florida game) as I've never drank Scotch before and wouldn't mind trying something different in the evening to relax a little bit.

Here is what I found last night.:

Balvenie 12 Yr Double Wood

Macallan 12 Yr Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Laphroaig 10 Yr Old Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Glenfiddich 15 Yr Solerna Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Glenmorangie 12 Yr Single Malt Nectar D'or Scotch Whisky

Lastly what is your preferred way to enjoy drinking it so to speak? Again I have no idea how to 'properly' drink something like scotch.

I'll go ahead and tag @selmaborntidefan , @uafan4life , and @DzynKingRTR since I remember you guys talking about Scotch in a couple threads recently.

Thanks for any help guys, I'd really appreciate it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was recently going through some of my Dad's things and came across a few unopened bottles of Scotch and was wondering if anyone could help me identify if they are of Good Quality.

I'm also thinking about trying one of them (maybe this evening after the Alabama/Florida game) as I've never drank Scotch before and wouldn't mind trying something different in the evening to relax a little bit.

Lastly what is your preferred way to enjoy drinking it so to speak? Again I have no idea how to 'properly' drink something like scotch.

I'll go ahead and tag @selmaborntidefan , @uafan4life , and @DzynKingRTR since I remember you guys talking about Scotch in a couple threads recently.

Macallen would be my choice. I have never had Balvenie or Glenfiddich.

I drink it neat (no ice) about 3 fingers.

• Thank You
Reactions: tusks_n_raider

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Those are all pretty good, at worst. :)

The Laphroig 10 is significantly different than the others. It's heavy peat and smoke, being an Islay (pronounced eye-luh) Scotch.

Balvenie is one of my go-to distilleries. I've never failed to at least really like one of their offerings.

I would recommend starting with either the Macallan, Balvenie, or Glenmorangie. Macallan typically has more on the nose than the palate, so it's a very safe choice.

While most will tell you that all whisk[e]y should only be drunk neat, you might want to start with them on the rocks, for two reasons. First, a bit of water will mellow out some of the harsher flavors. Second, the colder temperature will even out the flavor profile, as you'll taste less of the overall profile.

• Thank You
Reactions: tusks_n_raider

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Those are all pretty good, at worst. :)

The Laphroig 10 is significantly different than the others. It's heavy peat and smoke, being an Islay (pronounced eye-luh) Scotch.

Balvenie is one of my go-to distilleries. I've never failed to at least really like one of their offerings.

I would recommend starting with either the Macallan, Balvenie, or Glenmorangie. Macallan typically has more on the nose than the palate, so it's a very safe choice.

While most will tell you that all whisk[e]y should only be drunk neat, you might want to start with them on the rocks, for two reasons. First, a bit of water will mellow out some of the harsher flavors. Second, the colder temperature will even out the flavor profile, as you'll taste less of the overall profile.
Sounds like I might wanna try the Macallan with a couple of Ice Cubes first then....

I'll probably give it a go this evening after 'Bama wins in the Swamp.

Thanks for the recommendations man!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.