Linebacker Question?

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Hard to say, but Jones is not tied to the other two. Jones is OLB all the way, whereas Smith and Spikes are both MLB. Hard to say whether we would take two more MLB, I doubt it. It's probably one or the other. But we would take Jones regardless of the other two.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
heard something that had some credibility to it along the lines that the staff may scrap some of their "numbers by position" for the last 10 spots and just take "playmakers".....Spikes and Smith might fit that description.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
runtheoption22 said:
heard something that had some credibility to it along the lines that the staff may scrap some of their "numbers by position" for the last 10 spots and just take "playmakers".....Spikes and Smith might fit that description.
Now THAT could be interesting!!!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Roll_Tide_Gal said:
If Spikes and Smith sign, which one moves to Sam?
hmm......good question......Spikes plays OLB now, but he's destined for the Mike spot.....if we got both, my guess is Smith might end up at FB. Or one plays, one redshirts and Hig (who I think will greyshirt) moves to Sam.

Roll_Tide_Gal

1st Team
Jul 15, 2004
Oak Grove, Alabama
Are Anders and Schreiber far enough along to allow Spikes to RS as MLB AND Smith to RS as OLB while Hig takes a GS to rehab the knee? With Hall and Collins it seems unlikely that Spikes or Smith would see significant playing time.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Roll_Tide_Gal said:
Are Anders and Schreiber far enough along to allow Spikes to RS as MLB AND Smith to RS as OLB while Hig takes a GS to rehab the knee? With Hall and Collins it seems unlikely that Spikes or Smith would see significant playing time.
I haven't heard how they are progressing. Right now, I don't have a good feeling on Smith, so we may just have the 1 MLB signee come in if Hig greyshirts.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Roll_Tide_Gal said:
If Smith goes to ND, does Hig get to RS or will that open up a spot to sign another WR or maybe grab Smelley AND Tebow?
I base this analysis on a recent interview with CMS in which he said we had 15 commitments. To get 15, we'd have to drop 2. The two likeliest IMO would be Higgenbotham (greyshirt) and Holifield (grades from JUCO).

Greyshirting Hig makes sense b/c of his injury and I think they can afford to do it. Plus, it'll give us separation between Hall, Spikes (hopefully), and Hig.

That brings us to 10 spots left that Surf and I used in our "Ten Most Wanted" thread.

I'm in the camp that says it's Tebow OR Smelley, not both. I think he'll go to another D1 school before greyshirting. JMHO.

Last edited:

lorange

1st Team
Jan 21, 2005
I don't know anything about the greyshirt recruit you speak of, but I know that failing to honor a commitment will damage your credibility and possibly lead to litigation.

Stephen323

All-American
May 29, 2003
Duluth, GA
lorange said:
I don't know anything about the greyshirt recruit you speak of, but I know that failing to honor a commitment will damage your credibility and possibly lead to litigation.

Do what? If you are talking about rto's comment about Higgenbotham, there would be no failure to honor anything. He would simply greyshirt and count in 2007 instead of 2006. That would only make sense seeing that he will probably need time to recover from his injury.

As far as litigation, anything can be litigated, but there would be no basis to it. A school is not bound to anything based on a verbal commitment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.